Recent pic of my 86GN

What year of the GN do you prefer? And why?

• Total voters

fast86gn

Texas Moderator
Staff member
New paint job last year. Is #100 on Members Rides on the GNTTYPE .org website but a lot has changed since then. Paint, wheels, bolt ons etc.

nopi5.jpg

JeffNewton.jpg

GeoffatNoble1.jpg

gnsealy.jpg

Gn1-1.jpg

nopi.jpg

i love my 84 since it was my first TB. But i would really like to get a 86 as well.

86. LC2 and just a tiny bit of chrome on the front. The chrome on the front and the small amounts of chrome on wheels set it off in my opinion.

Thanks guys. I prefer the '86 as well. When I purchased the car back in '96 it had a '87 grill, it didn't take long to changed that back. Also the inside door straps were (I know some were gray in 86) gray I went with the black ones.

Thanks JD, I love the wheels too. Was looking for something that I had not seen on a GN :)

I voted 86. One because that is what I own and two because it was the first year with the intercooler. The 86 was built when I turned sixteen and I remember it like it was yesterday. Needless to say when I went on my search for the GN it had to be a real GN and it had to be an 86.
Funny you would mention the grill. People are always telling me that the car would look better with a black grill. I just smile and let them know that is how it came from the factory and that is how it will stay as long as it is in my possession.

I've always had a love for the oddballs, even though I love the black cars as well, the 82 has to be my favorite

Partial to 87's

Ive owned 4 TR's all together, two each of both intercolled years. My first was an 87 Gn, next was an 87 WE4, I just got rid of an 86 T-Type, and I just bought an 86 GN. I'm partial to the 87's because I like the look of the all black grill....:cool:

Hey David,

saw your thread and survey and thought I'd post my comments. I didn't answer the survey though because I really don't have a "favorite" and that's no BS. here's why....

'86 and '87 GN's: I like them because of the intercooled setup plain and simple - they respond better to simple mods than a hot-air GN. As far as '86 vs. '87, in my mind they're really is no difference between the two other than the grill. Some days I like the '86 grill and some days I prefer the '87, just depends on my mood. :p

'84 and '85 GN's: I like the hot-air GN wheels much better than the chrome '86/'87 wheels. That's just me, I'm quirky like that. That's why I've got '85 GN "look-alike" wheels on my '87 :D Wouldn't mind having those trick Lear-Sigler seats in my '87.

'82 GN: now here's where my quirky-ness really shows up, I actually prefer the *look* of the '82 to any of the other GN's :eek: . I like the two-tone paint and graphics, especially the "BUICK" decal on the rear quarter. I've thought about having copies of the big Buick decal made up in dark grey to put on my '87. just haven't had time to do it. My wife used to have a N/A 3.8 '82 Limited that was the exact same two-tone color scheme as the '82 GN. It was a beautiful car, I wish we hadn't sold it. I don't care for the '82 GN wheels though, I'd have to throw some '85 GN wheels on it. ;)

And yup, David (fast86gn) has an awsome looking GN. It was in pretty decent shape when I first met him but I've watched him clean it up into a pristine beauty that's a consistant show AND race winner. Best part is, David dives it like he *STOLE* it!! :biggrin:

Dude!

Hey David,

'82 GN: now here's where my quirky-ness really shows up, I actually prefer the *look* of the '82 to any of the other GN's :eek: . I like the two-tone paint and graphics, especially the "BUICK" decal on the rear quarter. I've thought about having copies of the big Buick decal made up in dark grey to put on my '87. just haven't had time to do it. My wife used to have a N/A 3.8 '82 Limited that was the exact same two-tone color scheme as the '82 GN. It was a beautiful car, I wish we hadn't sold it. I don't care for the '82 GN wheels though, I'd have to throw some '85 GN wheels on it. ;)

And yup, David (fast86gn) has an awsome looking GN. It was in pretty decent shape when I first met him but I've watched him clean it up into a pristine beauty that's a consistant show AND race winner. Best part is, David dives it like he *STOLE* it!! :biggrin:

I love the graphics on the '82 The big "BUICK" on the rear qtrs {thumbs up}
That would be cool on a WH1! :D

Appreciate the comments. Since I have had mine i have seen you go through a couple of GN's and all just as nice if not nicer! Thanks dude