Removing the stock AC/Heat box and installing a vintage air under dash unit, has it been done?

Nick,
Another question (or three). I am planning on ordering some other stuff (Non A/C related) from an online speed shop to install this Spring. To save shipping, I’d like to do as few orders as possible. I just want to be sure that the G-Body Vintage Air kit that G Body Parts and ArizonaGN will be offering includes the compressor, all brackets and anything else I might need to make this work (as I converted this car to a non A/C car and did not keep any of the brackets or compressor).

The store I'm ordering the Non A/C related stuff from also sells Vintage air stuff. Does G Body Parts or ArizonaGN have everything like the 04808-VUQ polished compressor? I just checked gbodyparts.com and did not see Vintage Air listed at all (even for generic stuff as I realize the custom kit isn't available yet).

Any idea if the 15541-VCB low mount brackets will clear on a G-Body? It looks a tad tight. (Currently running a small block Chevy with headers on my ’79 Monte) I installed an electric fuel pump and have the "fuel pump delete" plate installed on the block. Or should I not even try to do a low mount???

I think by this time I can remove the dash in my sleep. :D So that will not be a problem. Will the Vintage Air climate controls mount in the factory position in the dash?

Does the custom firewall plate take into consideration the hood to cowl seal?

Thanks SOOOOO much for all of your help!!!

Russ

I would like to address the questions and comments that have been asked here and with personal contact, but I first want to thank everyone for their interest and support in this project as we do believe it will bring many G-Body cars, including our turbo cars, back to "life" as a fast, comfortable cruiser, and tremendously increase their value! :)

Our objective is to provide a kit complete and simple enough to install in the various brands no matter what engine is used, original or late model like the popular LS conversion.

Since each owner and car will be a unique project, we will offer many options to our "kit" so it will comply with the needs, performance and budget of the owner.

Out most difficult, crucial and critical area in developing this kit is to fit the Gen IV Magnum in the cramped space available under the dash and maintain the outlets in the stock locations and configuration. Many man-hours have been spent on dash modifications, custom mounting brackets and custom built adapters to properly fit this unit.

As far as the glove box, you could store your gloves and insurance papers, but the center console will be your best storage bin! :)

Since the AC and heater lines connect to the Gen IV under the dash from the bulkhead connectors, specific lines and fittings must be used for routing. The plan is we will plumb this unit and provide adapter brackets and the necessary parts for the under-dash installation.

As far as the under-hood components, this is where the owner will choose the components to fit his specific needs, and this would also apply to the control panel in the dash.

For a turbo Buick application, a stock R-4 compressor can be used, and in the picture above a Vintage Air adapter piece can be used to easily mate AN lines to it, and many other fittings are AN as well.

Since a couple GN/LS conversions are under way by owners that have contacted us, we can provide a compressor, lines and other parts needed, or they can us their own items to hook up the system.

As far as an answer to the all important question of how much $$$$? A basic kit price has not yet been at this point, but it will be soon. :cool:

Looks good Nick, any possibility of welded studs to the block off plate for the condenser mount to remove the 3 holes through the block off?

A mounting bracket is supplied with the Gen IV, and we modify this bracket to mate with the dash and is a major factor in supporting the unit at the firewall. Anything is possible, but to make the initial install easier, and for future accessibility, this is how we decided to mount it.

The panel is a protype as the vertical weld will not be there in the production unit, and we will also powder coat the fasteners so they do not stand out. :)

The only stock part retained in the Buick application is the compressor, lines can and will be supplied at the owners request.

To retain the hood seal, G-Body Parts has a replacement metal coping to replicate the factory plastic ledge.

Any and all Vintage Air products can be ordered through ArizonaGN or G-Body Parts.

Nick
Wish you had this available when I did a complete rebuild of my original A/C a couple years ago.
Your setup would alleviate many issues I had. Any cost estimates? When I did my rebuild, I dropped 4 figures on it & could not drive the car (too hot that summer).
I did replace the condenser with one designed for 134 (it fit almost like original), however I considered the larger evaporator to be too much trouble to incorporate it - it can be done, but with a LOT of work.
R12 is giving me 35* air, about 3* better than original from Buick.
One A/C place in town does R12 & they are busy. I got on the phone & called almost all of them - only question I asked was "do you do R12", got where if they did not say yes, I terminated the call by hanging up.

Any members needing A/C work, I highly recommend checking with Nick, he was most helpful with my issues.

ES-12a is also a good refrigerant (actually better then R12). Used it to fill another car last Summer and it is colder then the stock system when it was R12.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Hey Nick, will the VA kit utilize the stock wiring harness or does it come with it's own harness? I'm ordering a custom harness from Casper's for XFI and would like to know if I can delete the A/C stuff from the engine harness. Thanks

At this point, you guys have more questions than I have answers! :D

The VA installation with not use any vacuum, and none of the factory wiring or controls. It is all electronic controlled, including the heater control valve and a simplified in-dash control unit in the stock location.

Since we will be a Vintage Air dealer, we can, and will supply any and all parts needed for each installation. The "kit" we are developing will NOT be available directly from VA, since we will supply the custom made parts for the G-Body installation.

This will also allow each owner to select specific items, like the control panel, to suit their particular wants and taste.

The under-dash evaporator and mounting/block-off plate will be pre-assembled with proper hoses and bulkhead fittings ready to put into place. The duct work parts and custom adapters for use with the factory dash outlets will also be included.

Since the G-Body vehicles use many different engines, we can provide the proper items such as lines, condenser and other parts, or the customer can do this to their personal preference.

In the case of a GN, a stock compressor would be the most simple solution for under hood installation.

I am very excited about the response to this project, and we are working hard and fast to get these systems available! :)

We are on track to have the first unit at the G-Body event in Burlington, NC on May 1. This will also be our first in-field installation going into a Regal with an LS engine, which will be very interesting.

Any specific question should be directed to my e-mail, not a PM, or a phone call is fine also.

Any Pics of the in dash control units. I am especially interested if they can be much smaller than stock, so you could fit a double din receiver in the dash, which would be an added plus. As for pricing on a GN would it be over or under 1K.

How about a heater only option ? Juan

That is a good suggestion! :)

If there is sufficient demand for a heater-only kit, we could develop one for the G-Body application.

A kit like this would not be very expensive, especially if only heat from the floor and defrosters vents were wanted. The mods and custom adapters to connect the dash vents could be provided as an extra cost option in this case.

As in the AC application, NO vacuum controls would be needed, it would be all electronically controlled.