Removing the stock AC/Heat box and installing a vintage air under dash unit, has it been done?

The under dash work is almost done. Connections to the AC and defrost outlets have been figured out using custom adapters.

We now have moved into the engine compartment with routing the lines and installing the condenser and dryer.

A completed evaporator equipped with lines, fittings and the new block-off plate has been shipped to NC for the G-Body/TB.com event where it will be on display.

The current schedule is to have the car done and operational for the Buick show in Southern California on June 2. More info on that event is in the Southwest Forum here on this board.

The picture shows routing of the AC lines which will go to the compressor and condenser via the front side of the core support, not on top like the stock lines.

AC7.JPG

Even though I was in NC last week, some progress on the pro-type installation was made. :)

The Vintage Air condensor and dryer were installed, some of the hoses were fabricated. The picture shows how we modified the GN stock manifold for the compressor. The -6 and -8 AN O-ring male fittings have been welded on and the charging ports are also place here. They will mate with the new lines which will run to the condenser and evap unit under the front of the core support.

The electrical wires to the pressure switch on the dryer and compressor will also be routed with the AC lines to minimize clutter under the hood.

More info and pics should be available this week, and the plan is to have it operational at the Spoolfool/Bates Buick event in California on June 2! :D

AC10.JPG

Can't wait to check this out at Bates...this will be my next major purchase for my car.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling on this Nick!

I've been watching this Nick and I like what's getting done. What I'd like to see is a set up for the 78-85 cars as well which would make it super easy to do all kinds of mods.;)

Poking in my head from the Monte SS board to say that there's some growing interest over there as well!

I'd be in the market for this kit once it's released as I (foolishly) removed my heater box and AC years ago.

I'm definately interested in this kit as my engine is out, front end is off, and interior is gutted right now. When will it be available and what's the cost going to be? I have an '86 Regal with shaved firewall, no ac components at all, and a 305 sbc engine.

Look forward to seeing this come to life rather than piece a kit together.

Nick, would this system work for distributor cars?

I cannot envision why a distributor would not work fine with this conversion, especially if the AC compressor is mounted in the stock location?

The initial Vintage Air system is in the car and working! :)

Now comes the hard part, gearing up to put the kit together, and determing the selling price?

We also must produce the specific parts needed for the under dash vents and control panel, as well as the firewall mounting plate.

At this point, the adapters and plate will be hand made until we can have them produced in quantity.

Since all G-body cars are not exactly the same under the dash, the vent adapters must be made different from the Regal, so the initial units will be Regal-only.

Our plan is to start producing the Regal application right now as we currently have custom parts being made.

For the production start-up program, there will be 10 units made for the first batch.

One of the 10 is already slated for a customer doing a LS engine conversion in a Regal.

The remaining 9 units are available, but we MUST have contact with each customer to determine specifics of their installation, and be able to have a working relationship with them during the entire installation process.

This entails much more work and time on our part, but we must assure the process and field installation will be done properly and any unforeseen issues can be worked out easily.

We have spent many hours on development, and want to deliver a quality product with support documentation and tech help so the installer is not frustrated. With this process we can obtain necessary feedback so we can move forward on production with confidence in out units. :)

Our plan is to develop the basic unit price, and develop an option list with the first 10 customers.

There are many owners here that have expressed a desire for this unit. It is necessary for me to have direct, personal contact by e-mail and phone to compile the list of 9 people seriously interested in this product.

Thanks to all of you for your support and interest in this project! :D