Rocker Arms

86 TR

Work In Progress
Can you use the stock rocker arms with a roller cam??? I can't afford the roller rockers right now but was wondering if anyone out there has used the stock rocker assembly with a roller cam.

Its going to be a fairly mild cam. Just wondering if the higher spring pressures needed for a roller is going to damage the stock rockers..

Thanks

I did for about 6 months with a 212/212 cam. Took a few trips down the 1/8 mile track this way. Now have rollers for peace of mind.

I've got stock rockers on mine with a comp 218/212 rolller. I only have about 100 miles on it and no full passes yet. I'm not all that worried about it though.

I'll be running the stock rockers with a 218/212, but I plan on getting rockers as soon as the budget allows. There's too many cases on the forums about the stockers breaking. :eek:

I'm running stock rockers with a roller cam, just got it fired up though so no long term results. I did install heavy duty shafts though as a preventative measure. I previously ran stock rockers and shafts on my old econo-roller, and had about a few thousand miles on that setup with no problem before I pulled the cam.

John

ive got about 10000 miles on my rebuilt engine. weber racing 206/206 roller cam, spring pressure about 125 or 130 closed. stock original rocker arms and shaft with about 148000 miles on them! have soild rocker shafts im gonna put on car. only about 100 dollars. i think i got mine from johnsperformance.com.

wow thats crazy. i would think with the higher spring pressure you wouldnt want to run stock shafts for very long. Atleast upgrade to the soild shafts if you do decide to run them.

Will any roller rockers fit under stock covers?

yea i have all new rockers, plastic retainers, and solid shafts that i have been meaning to put in but its been way to hot!!! plus i hate the passenger side valve cover!!!

as far as i know there all still intact:smile: car recently went 117 through traps on street tires, 12.45 1/4mile!

T & D roller rockers shafts need valve cover extentions to clear or a taller valve cover. dont know of any other shaft mounted but i think i have seen scorpion roller rockers like sbc's that are not shaft mounted . dont know how that works.

The stockers can break with higher pressure on them. I am running a 206/206 hydraulic roller, I have the stock ones on there for now with the RJC shaft braces. RJC also makes valve cover extension if you want to keep the stock valve covers so they will clear the aftermarket rockers.

so about how much boost do you think you can run with them? i didnt get any before i put my engine in. im running 12-13# on my set up on my sig except i have the stock turbo on for now just to breakin the engine.

The Beehive springs have the lower open spring pressure like (#318 open) and should have no problems with the stock shafts, but if your running the comp. cam 941's or the K-motion 750's which both have a spring open pressure in the high 300's then you might have problems with the stock shafts IMO..

I think where the beehives shine is the open pressure. I have my K-motions set at 130 on the seat which is about where the beehives check in.

Update: I just broke a rocker shaft. By looking at it you can tell that the bottom of the shaft lost it's temper. After looking at that I've decided that if I'm going to run stock rockers, which I am because I can't afford rollers right now, I need to run a shaft that can conduct the heat away from the surface the rocker rides on which is the bottom of the shaft without getting too hot. I'm going to go with a solid shaft based on the reasoning that since I can't increase the main cooling agent (which in this case would be oil) I need to increase the mass of the object absorbing the heat. This should enable the shaft to absorb more heat which should also keep down the temperature of the rockers.

i have the comp beehives and i also already have t.a. valve covers and my heads are already done for roller rockers just dont have the money to buy them now probably change them over the winter when i save up some more money.

IMO by the time ya add up the cost of different shafts, new buttons, and supports, the cost of the adjustible RR's is not that much more

Well, new SOLID shafts and buttons will run you $90. A set of roller rockers costs $450. In my opinion that's a savings of $360 which is allot of money.:p

Well, new SOLID shafts and buttons will run you $90. A set of roller rockers costs $450. In my opinion that's a savings of $360 which is allot of money.:p

Where do you get the solid shafts at? I was gonna get the HD ones from TA Performance but those are the thick wall shafts and still hollow..or are we talking about the same thing??