You can type here any text you want

Roller cam kit,springs will not work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbo1962

I dropped my heads off at the machine shop to get set up for roller cam which i bought at full throttle as a kit. They call today and say they can not use the springs in the kit. because they can not get the right height. anybody had that problem before? stock ported heads,206 210 517 cam

Call Mike,I have used his kits and my shop has not had an issue. Beehives I am guessing?

What height can they get? There is enough room if you install them at 1.75. The installed height on the box isn't set in stone. As long as there isn't coil bind the extra pressure isn't that big of a deal.

The way i understood the machine shop,they could not get the right height, they wanted to use some other springs. they had left a message on my phone i haven't called them back yet.i had give them the cam card. they are suppose to be one of the best machine shops in K.C

sounds like they want your springs for themselves.........

keep em for there own LS project and give you some off the shelf junk.

A.j.

Went to machine shop. they said that my springs would have 155lbs seat pressure. they thought that was way to much. so they were installing some with 130lbs seat pressure. they called me back and said they were finished. Installed them at 1.72. 155lbs seat pressure. Will that be OK?? shops around here do not know much about turbo Buicks.. Thanks

Find a qualified shop, or at least double/triple check their work, if they dont have spring seat cutters for springs, I can damm sure guarrentee they didn't cut your guides for adequate retainer clearence at full lift subtracting seal thickness, probably more errors made here with Buicks than anyone cares to count, good luck.

Kevin.

You machine guy also told me that they had to put new seats in your heads and the valves heights were not all the same. That needs t be fixed and is why they are a little tight. They will be ok where they are but if the lifter preload is all over the place from that it is going to be noisy.
ML

What can be done now to get valve tips even? Wont he have to get custom pushrods, or roller rockers? If new seats were put in i dont see why valves didnt end up even...sounds like my luck. Can you say how much was the job cost?

Part of doing a valve job is making sure the valves are all at the same height. Thats up the the machine shop.

Job cost 327.00 I placed a square across the valve tips. they are not all the same.looks like they vary .010 . I just picked them up. Is that to much difference? height

I don't think that price is unreasonable. Valves should all be the same height though.

Anything i can do? can you surface the valve tip? Should i leave them alone ? or take them to another shop and have the height set.

Take'em back and nicely explain buicks have no valve adjustment and they all need to be the same. They will clip'em and you should check them before you leave. Of course at no charge to you.

They are not going to be happy, will be the 4th time i been down their trying to get heads set up for the Buick. looks like one head is real close the other is not.

.010 is not bad...is there enough stem material to work with? That is, to allow the tallest to be ground down to meet the smaller stem ends? Or do stems seem to be almost even with retainers..ground down alot already?
Im surprised they mentioned it.

looks like .020 is about all i have above the retainer.looks like they have already ground on some of them. can i take off some more?

Went to machine shop. they said that my springs would have 155lbs seat pressure. they thought that was way to much. so they were installing some with 130lbs seat pressure. they called me back and said they were finished. Installed them at 1.72. 155lbs seat pressure. Will that be OK?? shops around here do not know much about turbo Buicks.. Thanks

I would not use anything but comp 885 lifters or the plungers may collapse under the pressure. I run 160 on the seat and have had zero valvetrain issues with the comp 885 lifters at zero preload/zero lash

Back