You can type here any text you want

Roller Cam Swap...

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Royal-T-Ltd

if i have a austempered comp cams roller..... with morrel lifters, push rods, beehive springs and was wondering besides the frt cover being machined for the guide/bearing plate would the rest of the kit interchange with a billet roller???? assuming specks were similar

The springs, lifters, and pushrods should interchange no problem.

You will need a different timing chain and this set here WRE A Kit Conversion for 3.8L Buick V6 Billet Roller Camshafts

The timing chain you will need is like this Buick V6 Timing Chain Set for Weber Billet Cams They have an undersized one as well.

All the billet rollers I have seen have this sort of front end hardware setup. Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I have have never ran across a billet cam that has the distributor gear cast on to the blank like the ductile/austempered/stock cams do.

I had an old school ATR billet setup in my car and for some odd reason a couple of the lobes were starting to wear funny so I ordered a replacement for it. I assumed a roller cam was a roller cam. Well I got a ductile roller by mistake and didn't realize I needed a different chain and bolts for it. PITA . I ended up using the ductile setup and the pushrods were all still the correct length. So I kind of went in the opposite direction as you. Had I known at the time Weber had the billet cams I just would have ordered one of theirs and been done with it. Also for what its worth I really like the split duration grinds they sell. Like this one 212 206 Turbo Buick Billet Roller Camshaft HTH

Also not a bad idea to get an adjustable length pushrod checker just to verify the new setup. And you probably know this but don't use a timing chain tensioner with the double rollers.

thanx for the info..... good to know.... am i correct in that billet rollers dont need to be shimmed for movement b/c the guide plate/bearing plate prevents cam walk???

Save yourself a lot of grief and frustration and call TA, the roller cam they have uses a retension plate that bolts to the engine (holes will need to be drilled). This will eliminate:
- The need for a special timing chain.
- No mods to the front cover is required.
- No monkeying around trying to set the fore/aft movement of the cam set properly and this setting changes everytime the front cover is disturbed.
Mike

Save yourself a lot of grief and frustration and call TA, the roller cam they have uses a retension plate that bolts to the engine (holes will need to be drilled). This will eliminate:
- The need for a special timing chain.
- No mods to the front cover is required.
- No monkeying around trying to set the fore/aft movement of the cam set properly and this setting changes everytime the front cover is disturbed.
Mike

i thought with the other billet rollers, once you machine the front cover you are done.... no need to play around with fore/aft movement and shimming and such..... correct me i am wrong????:confused:

billet roller

Once you go away from the cast cam you will lose oiling provision for the cam/ cam sensor drive gears. You MUST make provisions for this with a billet cam.

Back