You can type here any text you want

Russell fuel lines- gas smell

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttypewhite

In my T-type, everytime I take it for a cruise and come back home and park it in the garage. It stinks up the place with the smell of raw fuel vapours. Then when I come in the house through the garage door it drags that smell into the house. I have talked to a couple of other people with Russell braided lines and they say the same thing. Is there a braided line out there other then Russell that does not emit the smell of gas? You would figure for the money these things cost, that would not be a issue. Just in case anybody asks, no there is no leaks anywhere and all the fittings are on properly, same with the vent stock line aswell.

I run all Russell stuff in mine just because my local speed shop has it in stock at all times. I never had the gas smell issue. I have had problems during assembly with just Russell stuff. It will chunk the the hose at the edge of the barb where it inserts into the rubber hose. Check all of you hoses with a flashlight just in case? You will see a small rubber flap at the end of the barb. Maybe one is cut deep?

Louie, is that with pump gas or C16? When Ihave C16 in the car the smell is not bad. When I have Sunoco Ultra 94 pump gas in, the smell is like someone dripped fuel on the floor with the garage doors closed. Mind you I have had these lines in the car for over 16 years now.:redface:

Many years ago, I use to build 5,000+hp 2,240 cid Rolls-Royce Griffon V-12's for an Unlimited Hydroplane. We burned up a MEGA-dollar gear box because or Russell hose. I will NEVER use that stuff again!!!! Aeroquip or even Earls for me. It is the poorest quality out there, unless the Chinese are making it now, too. Let me guess...........E-bay stainless braided hose. $.39 a foot.:biggrin: The Russell stuff is easy to create a "flapper" in it when installing the fittings. That is what caused the gearbox failure. The fuel smell is probably caused by porisities in the inner hose. You may never be able to find a specific leak. Do an internet search on this condition, and you will find that you are NOT the only one. Sorry to hear you have been bitten by Russell
Here's a pic of a Griffon engine.

Attachments

• Rolls Griffon.jpg
    Rolls Griffon.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 267
I have aeroquip and have the same issues. Fuel smell in the garage and stinks up the house. No visible leaks either.

Well I wonder what we will get into as we are just running our lines. 90% is Aeroquip and the rest is Earl's as we made changes to our plans while running our lines and Earl's is all we could get quickly. Anyone find the gold inside these fittings, it has to be there somewhere. LOL

turbofabricator, I love those big V 12's
V12.jpg

Jim

I have aeroquip and have the same issues. Fuel smell in the garage and stinks up the house. No visible leaks either.

I can smell gas in the cabin after sittng overnight, if I don't leave the windows cracked a bit. No leaks----I've checked, and rechecked so many times.

Louie, is that with pump gas or C16? When Ihave C16 in the car the smell is not bad. When I have Sunoco Ultra 94 pump gas in, the smell is like someone dripped fuel on the floor with the garage doors closed. Mind you I have had these lines in the car for over 16 years now.:redface:

I run C-16 only. Regular gas smells much much stronger than C-16.

BTW you dont know what a garage that smells like gas unless you have been inside mine during Huricane season:eek: :biggrin: . Lots of Xtra surplus gas kept here..LOL

I am going to try and sleeve my Russell lines with a clear rubber tube. Under my hood, it just my return line that gives off the smell. The feed seems to be ok. If it works I will post pics and show my progress. If it doesn't my daughters are going to have 16 feet of skipping rope. Either that or I will hang myself with it.;) My wife hates my car because of the smell.

MIne stinks also and i have aeroquip lines also. WHen is it for sale I could use a 9 sec ride as my car is constantly down for repair.

I have aeroquip feed line, from the fuel filter to the fuel rail only. No stink what so ever. Never have either!

-Adam

All steel braided fuel lines will leak fumes after a short period of time. You will not see the gas but will smell it coming from the hoses. I have replaced mine twice:rolleyes: There is a braided hose out there that will not do this.It has a special liner, but you will have to change all your fittings as well to run this hose.:mad:

TFE hose should prevent this sweating or what ever it is. I prefere to run stainless tubing in long run applications. A bit more work to bend and fit, but it works flawless. Aluminum tubing works OK, too. And it's alot easier to bend. (if you have two hands anyway.) In the aviation business, Skydrol (synthetic hydraulic fluid) will seep out of hoses over time, but we run over 3,000psi. (the new Dreamliner will run 5,000psi hydraulic system) I run Pushlock hose on my car and have not had any fume problems. Luck I guess.

Jim, what V12 is that? It's not an Allison or a Rolls or even a Packard. I've worked on all of those. That looks kinda like an Orenda engine. But they are based on a BBC. and only a V8. Fill me in, inquiring minds want to know. Well, at least I do.

Hey guys,

i am bringint this back from the dead because i am about to do the same to my car.

One thing that i think most of you boys failed to mention is wheather you are running rubber or teflon lines hose???

i am prsuming that all of you guys are running rubber, and since razor runs teflon in his alky kits, and you never smell the methanol, then maybe teflon braided hose is the solution here. Or msaybe i am totally out to lunch on this one.

What does everyone else think?

I've had an 8 foot length of teflon braided hose on my car for about 12 years now, double hose clamps over the stock line near the tank and at the fuel filter fitting end.

No smell ever with it, but you can't use the same bend radius as rubber with it, not much of a problem to overcome.

Teflon liner is pretty good for most if not all auto. fluids. :cool:

ive had the same problem with braided hose...after switching to pushlock, no more stinky garage.

Dr boost, when you say braided hose, are you speaking of stainless stell braided hose, or the rubber hose with a fabric weave in the center of the rubber??

I think that the solution here is teflon. I agree that the bend radius is not going to be that great. (6.5" with -10) but easily do-able.

Not that I know of, and especially if you run leaded gas good luck. They all seep through the hosing after time and my Talon, which has about 17k on the new Summit SS fuel line system with 110 mixed in the whole way, smells literally like I have a leak somewhere.

Dr boost, when you say braided hose, are you speaking of stainless stell braided hose, or the rubber hose with a fabric weave in the center of the rubber??

I think that the solution here is teflon. I agree that the bend radius is not going to be that great. (6.5" with -10) but easily do-able.

the braided stainless steel lines weep. the braided fabric ones dont.

Back