scan master

dagojoe

my scan master is all over the place...every thing on it just goes nuts..for instance..on sec it reads 70 mph when im doin 70 then jumps to 200 and then to 12...or will show 0.0 knock then 22 then 0 then 54...any ideas...and this goes for everything..temp.blms...and so on...is it the scan master goin bad,ive thought of taking the scan master out of my other car and hooking it up...just thought id ask the gu rus on tb....before i did...

Did you ck...

the connection? it sounds like the data stream is being interupted. I'm no guru w/this, I've had one in the box awaiting installation for a few years.:redface:

shadowii, I work for HSC. The company that is opening a chemical plant in your town as we speak. lol

Check the wiring. At one time mine was giving me strange readings and it turned out that the ground was loose.

Might be the lack of second gear, if not its definitely the user.... j/k :biggrin: I seen where it was spliced in behind the connector with black tape, take it loose and try just putting it in the front in the pin connector E I think that's the one. And like they said check the groud. Did you get the wastegate puck fixed? Take care joe.

lol...second gear is fixed...trans redone...no...wastegate puck still a lil stiff..ERIC.. remind me never to let my uncle touch my cars..he has no concept of how a turbo works...he had the w.g. rod waaaaayyy off..i believe he turned it instead of pulled it...i havnt checked the wiring..just thought id ask before i dove into it to get a good idea where to start..everything reads fine when in park idling..it just goe nuts when driving...kinda like me..lol...i plan to check it tomorro i know it has a ground issue somewhere because the battery drains if it sits more than a day...im gonna check all the grounds on everything and plan to do the h&r motor mounts real soon...thanks eveyone for your input...

update

ok i completely rewired the scan master..good power supply, good ground and properly wired to the port under the dash..it still reads crazy nothing is accurate.for example....knock shows 54.2 then 0.0.....same with everything else..i have a knock guage and yes it is properly wired and reads 0 so i know its not the ecm which is new ...i even put a spare in i had laying aroud...same thing...could the scanmaster be bad...i have one in my other tr wired it the same way...works fine...if it is bad...who repairs them....any other trick i can try...all my guages work fine ..i just got so used to the scanmaster in my gn..being able to monitor everything and tune on it...and the one in my wh1 dont work rite...any help would b appreciated ..any ideas......

does it read funny all the time. or just when the car is warmed up? are there other things that make it read funny, like stepping on the brake?

where did you connect the ground to?

try unplugging the low speed fan relay, its the middle one on the drivers side fender. The ecm uses some common circuitry to run both the low speed fan relay and the datastream, and there are cases where they 'crosstalk'.

Also, is this a scanmaster 2.0 or 2.1 ?

Bob