scanmaster mod

The scanmaster is great tool but in my opinion the look is outdated. I got my inspiration from a regal build that hot rod garage did. They installed a late model blazer overhead console. I think it looks pretty good and decided to go the same route but with my own twist. Im going to change the color of the scanmaster display to white and mount it in the overhead console in place of factory display.

Hot rod garage regal
P10100432.jpg

Blazer console display

IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

It powers on then soon shuts off. How can I tell If the computer is sending the single to the scanmaster?

wow, ambitious.

But a great idea.

what LED's did you choose? Its possible there is a compatibility issue.

When the scanmaster boost up it displays its version number and one of the decimal points blinks while it synchronizes with the incoming data. If no data in about 2 sec, it shuts the displays off.

Bob

I've done blue LED and alternate sizes, works fine.
There are very many different pinouts for seven segment displays, sure you got it correct?

blue.jpg

wow, ambitious.

But a great idea.

what LED's did you choose? Its possible there is a compatibility issue.

When the scanmaster boost up it displays its version number and one of the decimal points blinks while it synchronizes with the incoming data. If no data in about 2 sec, it shuts the displays off.

Bob

How can I tell if the data is being sent?

Bob will correct me but based on the PCB do you see a 1.9 or 2.0 flash initially on power up?
then as long as you have have the 3rd wire connected to the ALDL you are likely good to go.

No particular display to recommend, just cautioning its difficult to get ones with consistent pinouts across sizes/colors.

As I mentioned, when the unit is syncing to the incoming data, one of the decimal points will blink. If no data is being received, the display will go blank after a couple seconds.

But, the display you are trying to use is common anode, and the wrong pinout (although I'm sure you are correcting the wiring behind your display board. The scanmaster circuitry requires a common cathode display.

The LED's currently being used in the scanmasters is an LTS-315AHR so you can refer to its pinout.

Bob

As I mentioned, when the unit is syncing to the incoming data, one of the decimal points will blink. If no data is being received, the display will go blank after a couple seconds.

But, the display you are trying to use is common anode, and the wrong pinout (although I'm sure you are correcting the wiring behind your display board. The scanmaster circuitry requires a common cathode display.

The LED's currently being used in the scanmasters is an LTS-315AHR so you can refer to its pinout.

Bob

Thanks Bob I'll try to figure something out.

I've looked at it, but not worked on it any. Will take care of it in the next couple days or so.

I will update also, so that you can run it with a powerlogger.
B

That would be awesome to change out the led display color. Is it as simple as getting the correct pinout and just soldering in the new ones? I would love to get the same cool white color that was used by the op. Anyone care to spare some info on this?

*IF* you found the same polarity, pinout and footprints then yes assuming you are properly equipped and skilled.
Oh , AND the same dimensions( good luck with that one). Otherwise PCB artwork/wirewrap/point to point etc.
AND the desoldering.

*IF* you found the same polarity, pinout and footprints then yes assuming you are properly equipped and skilled.
Oh , AND the same dimensions( good luck with that one). Otherwise PCB artwork/wirewrap/point to point etc.
AND the desoldering.

Im guessing no one has had any luck doing so....

there are a few other colors that you can get, but they are usually special order.

The next issue is getting the faceplate made.

Note: I DO have one scanmaster with green LEDs and a green/gray faceplate. (one, only one......) bids....?

Bob