SCE Copper head gaskets on 8 bolt heads

sce

Anyone using these with success?

so far I have the stage II ones with the extra bolt holes on a 109 with 8445 heads and have not had problems. Only got about 1000 miles on the motor though. No cooling issues as I have heard people have with compathetics :eek:

so far I have the stage II ones with the extra bolt holes on a 109 with 8445 heads and have not had problems. Only got about 1000 miles on the motor though. No cooling issues as I have heard people have with compathetics :eek:

Could you elaborate some more on this subject. Did you take any extra steps, type of sealant, do you need to re-torque them periodically, how much boost has the motor seem, which part number/brand, etc,etc

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I am using them ,I don't know if like them too much , I had my motor build by Weber Racing , they build me nice motor but right away I was getting coolant in the oil , I know they put extra sealer around coolant holes but I still had that nasty problem , did the retorque and it got better but did not stop 100% I am still loosing coolant after hard driving however it dose not go in the oil , I don't think because oil is clean and the level is ok , I have no external leaks so I must be burning it I guess , before I used FellPro HG and I had no problems , now with SCE titans I have a problem .

I used the old SCE coppers with a double o-ring setup. One ring in block with a stainless wire pressed in it and a wider receiver groove in the head. The copper is pressed into the receiver by the stainless wire. Worked very well at 25+psi for nearly 4 years. I used Hylomar on the gasket surfaces and torqued down with ARP 12 point bolts. I actually never retorqued but probably should have. Engine used very little coolant.

Thanks guys. I have a set sitting here but not sure if I want to use them or not. What are you guys torquing the heads to?

I have the older SCE gaskets on my stock block motor. I made sure to silicone around the coolant holes and the oil drainback from the head to block also. They are installed with an o-ring in the head and receiver groove in the block. I have run them for a couple of years and maybe 1500 miles. I had one instance where they leaked some combustion into the cooling jacket at 30 psi but once I re-torque them I'm sure they'll be fine. BTW, I torque the head studs to 80 ft lbs with ARP moly lube on the threads and under the nut.

Neal

I'm using the ICS SCEs... no issues... running a few thousand miles sofar on the build. Just a lil extra ultra copper along galley rail and oil drains, that's all...

Phil

3 years on my 109 Block 8 Bolt. O-Rings on the Heads...30 + Boost and still running.
.072`` Thick...............Why didn`t I use these sooner....;)

Thanks guys. I have a set sitting here but not sure if I want to use them or not. What are you guys torquing the heads to?

I went to 85 ft lbs with the 12 pt bolts. I never retorqued back then but i would now if i still ran them.

Looks like the Titans aren't available in 3.850 bore, but are in 3.950. Any downsides to using the larger bore gasket other than the slight decrease in compression?