SD2 quirks

Yes, that's normal to have to tune the VE table.

Flex fuel mode has to be turned on in the options. So if you haven't turned it on, then you're good.

Before messing with the VE tables I wanted to make sure I had the latest software so I ran the PL044 file again into the PL. So I got to work on the VE tables and got it closer. I went on a drive and I noticed that when getting in the throttle at all the SES light turns on but immedietly turns off when I let off the throttle. Any ideas what this could be as it's not throwing any codes. I have a log of it doing it if that helps. I got into it a bit and had some good knock retard show up and noticed that the fuel went lean but the correction factor wasn't bad. Also Another weird thing is my injector duty cycle seems extremely high and it wasn't like this before...Thanks again for the help. Log file attached,

Attachments

• Custom VE1 second drive.dat
    380.9 KB · Views: 68
The SES is the overboost alarm. I'm not sure why it's being set though. Something with the scaling must be off. Set it to 100 (the overboost immediate psi and delayed psi) for now. That should stop it.

Looks like its leaning out pretty badly once you get over 15psi boost. I would check fuel pressure under boost and go from there.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
So being that it's Christmas I went out and played with my favorite toy. On the first drive I noticed that the SES light issue had disappeared and the car was running really rich. I pulled over and noticed that the car was running on the old VE table again... So I loaded up the custom VE table tune that was giving me the SES light issues yesterday and changed the overboost delay to 30 (from 0). Car ran pretty good and the light issue is gone. I'm a bit confused by why the PL went back to the old tune but I'm chalking it up to user error. I checked my fuel pressure again and it was about 39psi with the line off, not sure why because I had just set it to 43 last week. I'm starting to become suspicious of the accuracy of that guage (its one of the small one that threads on to the end of the rail). I went out and did some runs, boost was a a 2-3 psi higher than before (not sure why). Car ran pretty good but I'm showing a tad of knock when the boost first ramps up and then it clears out. Injector duty cycle is still way too high and the AFR is initially a tad lean (as boost ramps) but settles richer (spraying single nozzle alky set on 5)than the table commands. I plan to get a better Fuel pressure guage to verify the current one but is there anything else that would cause the duty cycle to increase by more than 20% over the 5.6 alky chip? (I'm attaching two logs, that are hard accelerations on each chip)The car is getting close and runs great already, I can't wait till its dialed in 100%. This chip is amazing and it already drives around town much better than it ever has but I could use a little help with these small issues. Thanks in advance.

Paul

P.S. I'm also experiecing the same problems others had with the MAP reading changing when the headlights are on. Anyone have the link to Mr. Bailey's video describing how to correct this?

Attachments

• TT5.6Chip.dat
    47.3 KB · Views: 53
  • Custom ve1 Drive 5 hard boost.dat
    189.4 KB · Views: 65
Thanks again Huntsg, I checked the ground off the MAP wire and it went to the fender near the one from the battery but I'll redo it to the same as the battery and see if that changes anything. I figured in the mean time I'll just tune with the lights off...I double checked my fuel pressure and the rail mounted gauge was 3 psi low. I adjusted that and double checked it a day later and it sat steady at 43 psi (line off). I went back out and drove around. I still get that lean spike as boost ramps up and then the knock before the duty cycle levels out. I'm getting serious wheel spin too since its cold and tires dont hold... If I repeat this at higher speeds the injector duty cycle maxes out again but I don't see any knock. I don't think its fuel pressure related since the injectors catch up after the initial boost hit. You guys think the alky is taking too long to come in? It didn't have that issue before with the 5.6 alky chip on the same settings but it does seem to spool up faster than before. Most of the tables are still a little rich but I'm hesitant to mess with them until I get this lean spike figured out. as awlays, I'd appreciate any help.

Paul

Log attached

Attachments

• knock hard hit high wheelspin 1-4-15.dat
    80.3 KB · Views: 81
It's mentioned once but you need to verify fuel pressure rises 1:1 with boost. Correction maxxed, high duty cycle, still going lean anyway; you're out of fuel! The alky is probably the only thing keeping your engine alive under boost. And if you have knock, turn up the alky a bit. Unless it's cold there then maybe wait until it warms up. I have a hard time getting alky to atomize in cold temps. A slic and high boost usually create enough heat to make it go though. Keep us posted.

Or maybe just turn the alky on sooner since you spool faster now. Mine starts at 5psi but less initial. It won't spray fast enough otherwise.

Or maybe just turn the alky on sooner since you spool faster now. Mine starts at 5psi but less initial. It won't spray fast enough otherwise.

That's a good point. It's just that lean spike right as it boost up and then it settles out. I don't have a way to log fuel pressure yet so maybe I'll just use an external gauge and a gopro to see what it does. I doubt that's the issue as I never had this problem with the 5.6 chip running the same boost levels and alky settings. It has been way colder than usual so that's another factor that may be contributing to these issues. I don't have a problem upgrading the fuel pump and injectors if needed but I'm not convinced that is my problem. Also, anyone have an idea of how fast the fuel correction reacts? I see in a lot of places the air/fuel ratio is off from the commanded table yet the correction is 0... Thanks again for the help.

Paul

Something of a lean spike at throttle hit is not all together unusual. Cracking the throttle to wot real fast, the engine is getting a big gulp of fresh air before the fuel has a chance to catch up.

Have you tried playing with cell 12 (acceleration enrichment cell)? Try bumping it up. I've got mine all the way up to 230, and mine LIKES it!!

Dave,
Thanks for chiming in. I had thought about that too but given that the lean spike occurs well after the throttle is opened made me think that wasn't the problem. If you don't mind, take a look at the log I posted previously in post #26, if you still think that could be it I'll bump it up to see what happens.

The lean spike is only 3 tenths of a second after the throttle hit, which is about right depending on where your WB is located. Give cell 12 some tweaking, can't hurt.

Iv'e noticed the same thing on cars I've converted to sd chip. Lean spike when throttle is hit. Even when adding full enrichment to cell 12 the spike is still there. Had to tweak VE table to get rid of it.

Rick

Iv'e noticed the same thing on cars I've converted to sd chip. Lean spike when throttle is hit. Even when adding full enrichment to cell 12 the spike is still there. Had to tweak VE table to get rid of it.

Rick
That's another solution. What cells and how much?

Sent from my QMV7A tablet via Tapatalk.

Guys,

Thanks again for all the input. I haven't had a chance to play with the car due to unusually cold and wet weather down here in Texas. I plan to try bumping up the enrichment first as Dave recommended and then play with the alky settings per Mateo's post. Rick, I also have the same question as Dave. If the enrichment doesn't fix it, would you adjust the ve table around the 100kpa range?

Paul

Rick

I had to tweak the VE table too. Cell 12 never solved the problem totally.

The cells that need adjusting are fairly easy to locate. Example below.

ve table lean spike.png

Keep in mind the afr data is a result of things that happens and may require cell adjustment before the lean spike.

Another thing to take into consideration is AFR correction. If correction is pulling fuel it's not helping the situation.

Last edited:
Ya, I've had to play with mine a lot. As you can see, mine is much different than his.

VE 01-10-14.JPG

Guys,

Thanks again, I still have not been able to mess with the car but did have some other questions to help me figure this out. Dave, I'm concerned that my table is so different then yours, I had to really adjust my VE table down at lower engine speeds and pressures to get the correct Air/Fuel ratio. I know cams, heads, etc all affect the VE table so would you mind sharing your combo? I just want to make sure that my numbers are inline with what it should be for my heads and cam setup. Being a noob with the powerlogger, I thought I could use a power inverter in the car for the labtop like I do when we tune with FAST or Accell DFI systems. I found 2 things, 1 the powerlogger won't connect to the computer and 2, the TPS would steady out at a constant .44 with no jump (normally jumps between .42-.44) with the inverter plugged into the cigarette lighter. What really caught my eye is that the Air/Fuel correction (looking at the scanmaster) steadily started to climb to around 140-142. As soon as I unplugged the inverter from the lighter it would drop back down to around 128 and the TPS would go back to it's usual .42-.44 readings. This builds on the comments Eric and others made earlier about ground issues but I thought that the slight jump between .42-.44 was acceptable. Now I don't know if I'm wasting my time tuning the VE table due to a ground issue resulting in the tune being inconsistent. Any guidance on whether I should dig in more with the ground issue or continue tuning would be helpful (since I'm not 100% sure there is a ground issue). I do have a few other computers I could swap in to see if things change but I would need to have you guys tell me how to differentiate the 87 ecm from an 85 (car used to be a hotair). Sorry for the long post but I really appreciate and need yalls help on this.

Paul

Our combo's are very different!! I have a bone stock Long Block from the doghouse down to the oil pan! Only bolt on's I have is the PTE44 turbo, MSD50's, and a V2 front mount, which likely explains why our VE tables have to be so different.

I always cringe when I hear someone has to use a power inverter to run their laptop!!! Generally they are Extremely noisy (EMI, RFI) and our systems are quite susceptable to this noise!! If you can figure out a way to run a laptop without it, that may clear up a lot of issues, or at least stabalize your symptoms so you can start troubleshooting without things changing all the time.