You can type here any text you want

Seat time with the new Cotton's CPT-61

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Which BB turbo spools faster the turbonetics or Precision? Assume same car setup and turbo size.

I've sold both turbos but have yet to determine which spools faster, feedback tells me they are both comparible. With that said and the variables and differences I listed aside, I don't think it matters at this point.

Cpt 61

And right there, that sales pitch (truth), is the reason why I went w T-netics instead of any other turbo. The warranty alone is worth it. Jack was 100 percent right and I couldnt have been happier... Thanks again Jack, you know your chit....

In addition to Jack C. being the premiere Turbonetics guy for the Buick crowd and having great customer service the below information from the Turbonetics website was big seller for me, Duall BB vs. one BB. Interesting read:

"A turbocharger must live in order to win! This statement is the driving force that inspired TURBONETICS to pursue an alternative to conventional turbocharger bearing design. The result of that effort is
TURBONETICS’ unique patented Ceramic Ball-Bearing concept that has essentially eliminated any concern of turbocharger durability in high performance applications. The heart of this concept is a NASA inspired angular ball-bearing fitted with almost indestructible ceramic balls. The thrust capacity of this design is rated at over 50 times greater than conventional turbocharger thrust bearings!

The proven success of this concept is evidenced by its overwhelming use in high-performance competition today. Equally important is the unique use of a single ball bearing instead of two - the decision to retain a conventional shaft bearing on the turbine end was made as a result of computerized model analysis of the high-speed rotordynamics of the rotating turbocharger.By retaining the bushing-style turbine-end bearing, it acts as a shock absorber and dampens the critical frequencies that typically plague dual-bearing designs used by other manufacturers. As a result, only turbochargers equipped with the TURBONETICS Ceramic Ball-Bearing design have no destructive critical frequencies over their full operating range! No other ball-bearing design can make this claim! Faster response, extreme durability, and unsurpassed quality all combine to make the TURBONETICS Ceramic Ball-Bearing concept the standard of excellence for the ultimate in high-performance turbocharging!"

Turbonetics Ceramic Ball Bearing

this thread turned into a pissing contest awefully fast! top turbos from various manufacturers are probably comparable. an ex precision turbo employee (in this forum) recommends full throttle AND cotton's performance. to suggest garrett tech isn't durable is misleading.

TurboByGarrett.com - Garrett Advantage

i'm just waiting for some e.t.s!

this thread turned into a pissing contest awefully fast! top turbos from various manufacturers are probably comparable. an ex precision turbo employee (in this forum) recommends full throttle AND cotton's performance. to suggest garrett tech isn't durable is misleading.

Hmmmm, I didn't see a pissin contest here, from my perspective stating facts is just that...... if someone doesn't agree with another, ya just state your case and move on... unless all the facts are stated, how can one come to a logical and accurate conclusion.

Don't think I was suggesting anything but instead relaying information that I found compelling when comparing what was available in the size range my combo qualified for. I AM in fact making a specific direct and completely intentional comparison though. What few threads that I've seen about the new bb tech haven't seen any mention of the dual bb vs. single bb, and Turbonetics website makes a weighty case for the single tech as quoted above, but more specifically the following is what gave turbonetics the sale for me...and the pretty polished housing too (love the bling), the year warranty doesn't hurt either...

"use of a single ball bearing instead of two - the decision to retain a conventional shaft bearing on the turbine end was made as a result of computerized model analysis of the high-speed rotordynamics of the rotating turbocharger.By retaining the bushing-style turbine-end bearing, it acts as a shock absorber and dampens the critical frequencies that typically plague dual-bearing designs used by other manufacturers."

I would venture to guess that the ET's for a ball bearing turbo would not be too far off of a standard bearing 61mm turbo.

true, same turbine/compressor setups should e.t the same.

sverble is using a gt6169s instead of the more common gt6152e. he has a little more to play with.

I would say yes too. Per your website you got some nice 1/8 MPH times with the old setup...95 mph. Do some tuning this time and you will get it.

true, same turbine/compressor setups should e.t the same.

sverble is using a gt6169s instead of the more common gt6152e. he has a little more to play with.

Again, not a pissin contest, just want to set the facts straight... SVerble is using a CPT61V-BB not a gt6169....... :cool:

I would say yes too. Per your website you got some nice 1/8 MPH times with the old setup...95 mph. Do some tuning this time and you will get it.

Cool, What's the max? is low 11's possible? I'd be totally satisified with mid 11's though. Just gotta be faster than a 427 zo6, that's my goal. Run faster than the new z06 times in the mags.:D

Only bad thing about trying to compete with the new Zeds is if someone puts on a set of drag radials, throws a K&N setup on and a small nitrous shot. Then at that point, it is very VERY hard to compete against one with a low 11 second Buick, because combos like that on the new Zeds are running into the high 9's to very low 10s on a baby 125hp shooter. Bone stockers tho, you'd be ok as long as you are in front by 100 mph.

Pretty much everyone's 61mm compressor wheel equipped turbos are more than capable of running 11.00s with the right tune and good 60fts. I've heard a lot of very good things about Jacks CPT61BB, as well as witnessed first hand results on my buddy Dons car with a Precision PT6152S journal bearing. It really comes down to personal preferences and who you like.

In todays Turbo Buick market, I would go with a vendor who will stand behind their products with honest and proven answers and who will give the best customer service both before and after the sale.

Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

I dont know what the max is but Patrick knows his stuff. Like Patrick said the Z06 is a fast car they MPH very nicely stock. A buddy of mine has one and shortly we will race. I'm banking he cant drive and the Buick will hook. Take your ride to the track and let us know.

I went 11.7x with 2.10 60' on my first break in pass with t-netics 61 b.b. w/ totally new set up and start up tune @ 19#'s. Jack is the man!

I dont know what the max is but Patrick knows his stuff. Like Patrick said the Z06 is a fast car they MPH very nicely stock. A buddy of mine has one and shortly we will race. I'm banking he cant drive and the Buick will hook. Take your ride to the track and let us know.

Here is a like to a bone stock C6 Z06 (w/ drag radials only) running in the 1/4 mile. I dont know if youve heard of him, but this Ranger, record holder to fastest bone stock C6 Z06 1/4 mile times. Stock tires are even runflats on C6 Z06's!!! Here is his page;

06_Z06_DRs

May beat one in the 1/4 mile, but they are no joke on the freeway!!!

the zo6 seems to be a very cool car but things are different on the street than on a track prepped with vht.i see big horspower cars struggle on the street and usually have to peddle the car to keep moving or shocking the tire.a zo6 can spin the tire on the street bone stock, there is only so much power that can be applied on the road.if a 11 second buick is going to run 55mph to 130 the zo6 would and should win in most cases but from a light,a quick spooling car with good hook it's anyone's race.3800rpm launch in a buick or zo6 =wheelspin on the street.

So does this mean ALL Zo owners can drive there cars to 10.80s??? I think very very few!!!! I don't see many at the track or even on the street.. That Ranger driver has spent A lot of time at the track and has beat on alot the past Zo cars...

No, just giving some comparison. Doesnt mean he or everybody can drive their GN's and TTA's into 10.80 land either. Time, money, and combo will get you there. While yes @ 70+ thousand, Ill pass on a Z06 as well but they are without a doubt one of the baddest, fastest american production cars to roll off the lines!!!

Back