You can type here any text you want

Serpentine vacuum pump

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

we4Mateo

Double you eee what?
I posted this once but I can't find the thread and believe it to have vanished. My buddy has an off center ta motor and needs a mechanical vacuum pump that works with a stock style serpentine belt setup. Any ideas?

TIA

Cadillacs used them but the pulley was for a v-belt. Trying to find the correct pulley could be a hassle.

Maybe the one for Ford Powerstroke would work? I think they had a serpentine belt. But the diesel engine operates at lower RPM so could the pump handle 6000 RPM or more? Not sure.

Sorry this is not more specific.

Paul Lohr

I thought there was a post about the later model camaro's having a vacuum pump? 2001+?

I think you're correct Paul. I didn't follow the post, I just remembered the heading. I would think you could still use the pump to siphon out the gases unless it would be too much on the electrical system.

TBI Chevy cars and trucks with the 4.3 V6 and 305/350 V8's had AIR pumps with a serpentine pulley on them... 88-93 cars and 88-95 trucks would be the place to look, but i don't know how well they work for crankcase evacuation purposes since they are the same pump that GM used in everything going back to the 60's with a different pulley on it..

My vac pump kit runs off a pulley mounted to the water pump shaft.

It has run to 8000 RPM and is set to evac the crankcase at 10" of vacuum, and has been on the car for 4-5 years.

This pump, like most others, is set to run at 1/2 crankshaft speed, and the regulator is at the pump not on a valve cover.

After trashing a GM and a FORD electric smog pump, this system has never had any problems. :)

Thanks everyone for the info. I am curious too Nick, where you got your setup.

Did anyone get an answer from Nick on the source of his setup? Is he selling them?

The pump I use is from Star, who does quality pumps and kits for racing applications.

To minimize complexity and cost, I worked with them to develop a pump kit to work on a Buick turbo V-6.

Their kits start at ~$1000, and go up from there.

As I mentioned above, the vac pump must run at a specific RPM for a given application, and we spent a lots of time and effort to come up with the proper type and size pulleys, and the brackets to fit and perform to spec.

I can furnish a kit for a Buick which includes the pump and other parts from Star.

Here is their mission statement which is the reason I chose to deal with them: :)

"STAR Machine specializes in crankcase vacuum technology for the motorsports industry."

Nick's engine .jpg

Thanks for the info, Nick. I like that vac pump set-up. I will pass the info along to a buddy of mine that is chasing little oil leaks on his motor. You will hear from me when I get back to working on my car. Right now, I in the middle of building a new shop.

Back