SF Bay Area / Sacramento My car just stolen

Well in about 45 minutes it will be my Birthday and my insurancce has finally settled. I got the call yesterday that I would have a check this week.

I want to say thanks to all those who kept their eyes open and sent pm's and called. It has been greatly appreciated and I hope to meet those of you that I haven't yet.

So to sum this whole thing up; the car was stolen in Sept and it's almost 6 months later now and it has never been recovered.
The insurance wanted to offer $2k first.

I found out that in CA the insured has the right to have their own appraisal done, even after the fact. So I did. In retro I should have had one done before.

The insurance co. had their own apprsl done and made an offer for $12k. This took about 2 1/2 months to get to this point.

I disagree as I had a larger apprsl so we enter into arbitration. Both appraisers have to submit their reports to a third appraiser who then submits his report to the others. He only needs a signature from one other appraiser and then forwards it to the insurance adjuster. They call this an award letter. His finding is pretty much binding when you enter into the arbitration process.

This last part took forever as the insurance company want's you to get tired of waiting and take the first offer. Between the insurance co. and their appraiser (bunch of thieving liars!) they added months onto this whole process.

Another important point;
If you feel you are being screwed around by your Insurance co call your state Insurance Commissioner!
I did and I think it may have helped speed this up, I know it got their attention as the Insurance Commissioner is responsible for licensing and follow up on legal process.

Final value; $18k Appraiser costs $700.

Lessons learned;
Have an appraisal done when you get your car insured.
Have your special car insured with one of the collector car insurance and get Agreed Value!

Insurance company's have a nice customer service face but a real nasty mean side when it comes to claims.

Good to know you got a decent settlement.

Yes, you have to fight them to get what your car is worth...

It took almost 4 months to get them to settle when my Dually was hit while parked.

1 Year today

Well as many have seen, insurance paid out after a lengthy battle and I moved on to another TR and other projects but in honor of my beloved Cutlass here is a TTT.

There were quite a few parts there were easily identifiable so in hopes of one day maybe finding something....

Well as many have seen, insurance paid out after a lengthy battle and I moved on to another TR and other projects but in honor of my beloved Cutlass here is a TTT.

There were quite a few parts there were easily identifiable so in hopes of one day maybe finding something....

Makes you wonder where unique cars like this and their special parts end up when hiested.

I have thought the same thing many times myself. It's been over a year and the last anyone seen or heard of it it was driving out of the parking lot on video. Possibly it was all cut up, possibly it was loaded into a container and shipped out (this is far easier than anyone thinks), or it could be sitting somewhere with a new vin and new paint, who knows.

All I know is it hasn't been found in any shape whatsoever and none of my friends nor myself have heard of or seen any parts being sold. I spoke to my insurance rep and told them to contact me if it is ever found so I can have first rights. They also told me that if found it goes to Copart and you have to be licensed to buy it from them. Nothing has shown up through them either.

Makes you wonder where unique cars like this and their special parts end up when hiested.

I don't know but I'm really starting to think the parts are sold on either ebay or craigslist and the bodies are then moved incognito to a scrap yard and then crushed for scrap prices. I say this because I see a lot of nice GN parts on ebay all the time and it seems the cars are almost never recovered plus everyone knows how much scrap is going for these days.

I don't know but I'm really starting to think the parts are sold on either ebay or craigslist and the bodies are then moved incognito to a scrap yard and then crushed for scrap prices. I say this because I see a lot of nice GN parts on ebay all the time and it seems the cars are almost never recovered plus everyone knows how much scrap is going for these days.

The bottom has fallen out of the market for scrap here... Most scrap iron here goes to asia. But since the economy fell on its face scrap prices are in the gutter

Another possibility on stolen cars exists as to them going overseas. I am on another Hot Rod msg. board and you would not believe the interest in American cars in other countries. I am not suggesting that everyone who exports/imports a car is dirty but you know that there are many who have been duped and unknowlingly bought a car that was "shady".

Fastlikeanascar- did you tell your insurance company to contact you if the car was ever found and you want first rights of refusal? We assume that that would be a given but it is not, especially after you sign everything over and cash the check. A few of these cars end up at salvage auctions like Co-Part which is who my insurance said they deal. If you ever go to their site you can still find a few GN's. So some are found, I wonder if their owners ever knew they were recovered?

Once you sign over the title, it's the insurance company's car. There is no process to notify the previous owner. Most insurance adjusters transfer around so it's highly unlikely the person handling the recovery is who you settled with. As you mentioned, once recovered it simply goes to salvage auction (IAA, CoPart) and the highest licensed salvage dealer wins. I'm an adjuster and I'm at the local salvage yards at least once a week. I haven't seen a GN for a few years here in Columbus.

good luck finding it... my white 87 was stolen in 2001 and not found until 2004and it was stripped. my grey 87 with t tops has been missing since august 2005 and still has not been found.