You can type here any text you want

Short block buildup?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dank GN

BlackArts Automotive (661)993-8277
I have picked up a NA block and a uncut turbo crank and two dot stock rods. I am looking for a low 11 high 10 sec bottom end. What parts should I go with? What's it going to cost me appox. This is my first build up any tips will help me. What should I have the machine shop do to make this thing live with my driving abuse? I plan on doing some porting and polishing on the heads maybe slap them on my buddys flow bench? Like I said before any tips will help thanks agian

Accurate machine work and cleanliness with nothing more needed than the stock parts. No caps or any of that needed. Id have the block plate honed.

a few pics:smile: what about a mid to low ten sec short block

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

Bison's advice is sound as long as the motor is not detonated severly under high boost. If that happens with a stock bottom end, then you will be walking back down the track to pick up the pieces. two center steel caps saved my motor. Cracked stock crank in two places and the motor stayed together and still ran a 7.1 under high boost. My buddies motor (stock bottom end) detonated the motor under 25 lbs boost and it not only detroyed the block but also took out the trans bellhousing. I now have a 4340 crank and most of the right stuff to go real fast. tune, tune tune. To install 2 center caps:

1. new caps $350
2. Align bore the block $200

Mitch

a few pics:smile: what about a mid to low ten sec short block

I've talked to several of the gurus on these engines as of late concerning a mid to low 10 second short block. The average price I've been quoted is around $6500 for the short block. That's gonna put you at 10-12k by the time you do the rest of the motor. NOT counting supporting mods.

HTH

is that price with them building the short block for you? i am looking to spend about half that.
1. Machine shop 650-750
2. center caps 250-300
3. pistions 350-400
4.gaskets/bearings/mics 400
6. ??

so your going to get the machine work done for that? 650-750?
valve job,check heads to straight, boring, putting pistons on, sizing rods,getting the bolts flat on the rods,maybe deck the block,cam bearing installed,motor cleaned, line bore for the caps(prob in the orther price) i think the price might be off just a little,,, but you might not have all that done tho....

is that price with them building the short block for you? i am looking to spend about half that.
1. Machine shop 650-750
2. center caps 250-300
3. pistions 350-400
4.gaskets/bearings/mics 400
6. ??

I'm cheap but I don't skimp on work. The last one I did in the 80's cost me $600 to do the bores alone so you might want to allow for more.

Evilbay has a set of used center caps for sale right now for $104 plus shipping.

The pistons will take you time to find at that price so good luck.:smile:

i am lucky i have a good friend that has a head shop so he shows me the way and i follow he charges me a couple of beers and i will throw in 100 spot

You better keep that guy , i'd be giving him more than a few beers along,,,,, afew dinners as well..........

I also got a quote for just the machine work
Hot Tank/Mag 75
Line Bore 120
Line Hone 120
Deck the block 80
Turn the crank 90
Polish The crank 10
Balance rotating assy 125
Assy Short block 800 i was planing on doing it myself
I am going to have them give me a quote on all the bearings ?? How much do you think the bearings will cost me

Back