SHotgun Opinions

wish98was87

Hey Guys,

I know some of you out there are into guns. I've been around shotguns for a while now (my father in law has a bunch he hunts everything with) but never had one of my own and i think i'm gonna get one now. I want to use it mostly for skeet, maybe some turkey or deer once in a while, at the range and home protection. I know thats alot to ask especially since for the house they usually use a shorty barrel. But anyway I want something that can shoot 3.5" and almost any kind of shot/slug without to much fuss. I was looking mostly at the Benelli Nova and the Remington 870 SuperMag. You guys have any opinions/ preferences/ info? ANything would be much appreciated! Thanks guys

-Rich

check out the mossberg 935,for home defense the new tactical 930 spx semi auto 5 shot 499.00 and 8 shot799.00. a sweet firearm.you can check them out on youtube.

Rich, for home protection, turkey or deer hunting, you should be fine with either the 870 or novi, but as far skeet, trap or even sporting clays, you would be at a BIG disavantage, not saying it can't be done but it will take alot of practice and concentration. HTH Jr.

You probably picked the two best choices for what you want for the hunting and skeet shooting. If money is an issue go remington and never think twice.. If you want a "show" gun to brag about go with the Benali... I would take either hunting in a minute...

You are right on the problem of being a home defense gun, if you choose the remington you can buy another barrell that is shorter and still have less in the package than the benali...

For shotguns I buy them to work, not for looks:biggrin: Just depends if you want to look like the guy on TV or not;)

i wanted my shotgun for all that as well. so i went with a beretta xtrema2 the lowest recoil on a shot gun i have ever shot.

Thanks

Ok thanks guys i really appreciate it. Yea I was looking to stay around the $500 range. I liked the benelli but I did like the fact that the Remi has interchangeable barrels so I can switch it when at home. Hows the longer term reliability on them? Can I fire all types of shot and slugs out of both without changing barrels or chokes? I also saw the new Remi 887 (I think it is) but dont know anything about it. Thanks again fellas.

-Rich

i wanted my shotgun for all that as well. so i went with a beretta xtrema2 the lowest recoil on a shot gun i have ever shot.

Spend the money and go with the xtrema2. Me and a buddy of mine (mostly me) turned a canoe over heading into a blind one morning. I was using his xtrema2, he had a benelli montefeltro. After dumping the water out and fishing out as much mud as possible, we started hunting. The xtrema never missed a beat, all morning in a duck blind and all afternoon in a dove field.

Oh yeah, the montefeltro jamed at least a half a dozen times.

There's lots of options to use but if cost and function are the two most important ones get a Remington. The cost is reasonable and they work well. I've got doubles, pumps, and autos and if you want a dead reliable one get the pump. You won't be compative in skeet but I've never had a pump fail. This is why the military uses them.

If you want something to shoot skeet and be able to keep up get an auto. You can get screw in choke tubes for either and a shorter barrel as well for "home" use.

Can I fire all types of shot and slugs out of both without changing barrels or chokes?

I would go with a Remington 870 and plan on changing barrels at least when switching from shot to slugs. Too much choke with slugs = not a good thing. It's super easy to change barrels; you can do it in less than 20 seconds with no tools whatsoever. I used to have a Remington 870 Wingmaster with a couple different barrels and I loved that gun. That was in my younger days, and times got tough and I had to sell it. Wish I'd have sold something else to make a quick buck. That left me with just a single-shot cheap-azz New England Firearms shotgun, a .22 semi-auto rifle, and my Taurus 9mm that I picked up more recently for home defense.

What do I know :confused:

My shotgun collection consists of two Taurus revolvers (an Ultralite and a Magnum) and a Marlin lever action (XLR-410) :eek:

Remi

Thanks guys for the opinions/info. I know the reputation of the 870 overall but do any of you guys know anything about the 870 Express SuperMag ( I want to be able to fire the 3.5's) and I had heard the express guns werent so great from some places. Anyone have any experience or suggestions? Get a different 870 and a 3.5" barrel or something? Thanks again guys.

-Rich

I have an assortment of shotguns but none of them would shoot 3.5 inch. Like you I really wanted one so I bought the Benelli SBE a few years ago. Now that I got it I rarely ever shoot 3.5 shells. Truly the 3 inch is enough and I hunt everything. When you do shoot a really heavy load of 2oz or more it just flat out whacks the crap out of your shoulder. I have a couple of the Remington 870’s and they will never let you down. Last year in South Dakota when the temps were -14F and 35mph winds my Benelli and Berretta would freeze up. But I always bring an 870 for back up and the weather never seems to affect its performance.

I do like the 870 quite a bit. Could I get anymore input on the versions of the 870 you guys have? I heard the "express" series were not so great from some reviews. What do you guys think? or do all the models of 870's have the same exceptional reliability they are known for. Thanks again.

-Rich

My 870's are the WingMaster version. I think the express is the same gun just not as fancy finish. My sister just bought my nephew an Express with synthetic stock and removable chokes for $240. Not sure about the reliability of the express. I think ten years ago or so Remington cheapened up their gun to compete with the competition and maybe there were some problems then. But that’s just a guess a gun smith could tell you better than me. Good luck.

Rich, the 870 is a very good gun, remington made a combo series with a slug barrel and 28" barrel with screw in chokes, the one I have (which is still in the box) shoots up to 3" shells but not 3.5, the price is well within your budget, HTH Jr.

Barrel

Hey guys! Figured I'd update this old post rather than start a new one. So I recently got my Remington 870 a few weeks back with the 18 1/2" and Urban Camo stock and grip. I have been looking around trying to find a REASONABLE longer barrel to use for skeet and longer range shooting (26-30" or so) but it seems they are all nearly the standard price from Remington ($150+) and I cant seem to find any used.

Soooo.. I know it may be a long shot but I wanted to see if any of you guys here either #1- had a 870 long barrel around in decent condition that you would be willing to part with or #2- if you have any entire shotguns you are getting rid of. I would really like to get a side by side or over under but they're usually veryyyy expensive so I figure another barrel for the 870 is the cheapest and best way to go for now.

Any input, feedback etc is much appreciated. Thanks guys! Also if you have any pics of your "home protection" I'd love to see :biggrin:

I have a couple of extra barrels for my 870’s I will never use and may be willing to part with one. I will look and see what I got tomorrow and let you know.

but it seems they are all nearly the standard price from Remington ($150+) and I cant seem to find any used.

If your Wal-Mart still sells rifles (like mine :cool: ) you might as well order another 870 with the barrel length your looking for. It only costs $100 bucks more than the $150 barrel. Unless you find a deal on a barrel from somebody.

I bought my 870 for $247 at Wal-Mart less than a year ago.