should I leave the timing chain tensioner on or not

natedog910

been doing some reading so some say never had a problem and others not so good?
e0589e7559df637f4822edcf9aae2b89.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

not liking this cam button either ,it was just stuck with spring compress when I took off timing cover?[emoji848]
f04455060d22f95113540a4fd36abdcf.jpg

If your running a double roller Chain and gears ...LEAVE IT OFF!!! My builder left it on and it eventually tore up my timing cover and was not pretty...Cost me $$thousands in rebuild costs.....Had I know it was on there from the start i would have taken the tming cover off and removed it myself. LIVE AND LEARN......LEAVE IT OFF....TRUST ME!

next question is this correct, I bought cam button at local hp dealer he said ,just use cam button no spring?
18c3c3c6fb412e56210fc49d2cf65c29.jpg

Don’t listen to him unless you have DEEP pockets, throw away that plastic POS cam button and get one with bearings, Nick micale, Steve V, Bison, Mr. Clark, Lorenz racing, Cottons, Weber, and a few more builders that I know I am forgetting can’t be wrong.
You need to use the spring, but that plastic is going to wear out fast, and then your going to be in rebuilders heaven.
You have it apart, buy the correct cam button from one of the vendors, do it correctly the 1st time.

Agreed . If running stock style chain use the tensioner. If using a double roller chain pitch it. Also don't use that plastic button. Get a roller cam button Melling number #CB100.

I have never had a problem using the damper/tensioner on a double roller chain. Here is a picture of one with 7 years +50K miles on it. Had very little wear on it. P1010120.JPG

does these cam button work
on a Hydraulic roller
ded1de9e0f49e130598a5556ff998865.jpg

No. That button is a needle bearing button from a 3800 high deck with a roller cam. I used one like that for years without issue on a flat tappet motor with the GM cam dimple. I don't see how you will achieve the clearances required with an aftermarket roller.