Shoulder Harness Question

Jeff Rand

Just bought a new harness from Summit and it has a single mounting point for the cam type shoulder harness. Is this arrangement NHRA legal? I seem to remember a change in rules for this belt (maybe it can't be a wrap around). My existing belt has two attachment points.
FYI: this RCI harness can be re-certified after two years. Need to send it back with the original bill of sale and $20 for shipping. I think the cost is $139.00.
Thanks,
Jeff

The NHRA rules were changed to make the single mounting point shoulder harness illegal. I had to buy a new harness because of it.

really. At what E.T do you need a harness? I have a single point mount for the sholders. humm. that sucks. means i have to cut grind smooth repaint and grind 2 more spots and weld and paint again. thats just great.

well found this. looks like im going to have to spend some money :( dont have a jacket. dont have metal valve stems. Also am I not legal for my Tint? i have limo on all the windows except windshield

Three inch driver restraint system (seat harness) SFI Spec 16.1 mandatory in any car required to have roll bar or roll cage

Jacket meeting SFI Spec 3.2A/I required at 10.00 to 11.49.

Only factory tint on windows.

Must have metal valve stems 11.99 and quicker

Trust me I feel your pain I wear an SFI 20 firesuit (funny car suit and helmet) and I race in Phoenix:( .
At least I don't need to worry about door glass and tint:biggrin:

Do you mean where the shoulder belts are attached to the roll bar behind the seat?...when was this rule changed?...just the last 3 months?...because I raced in the spring with a single mounting point and it passed tech...

Yes. Where the shoulder harness mounts to the roll cage.
It was pretty recent. It's in the 2008 Rulebook.
10:5 Driver Restraint Systems
SFI Spec 16.1 Y-type belts prohibited.

Ok it says Y-type belts prohibited but mine isn't Y-type...it's 2 seperate shoulder belts but they are mounted to the same point on the roll bar...does the rule specifically say it can't be mounted on the roll bar at the same point?

I just called NHRA to confirm what Don reported and a single point attachment on the shoulder harness is not SFI approved. I do not understand why Summit would sell this type of belt. They will cover all the shipping and handling for me so I will not have to pay for that again. What sucks is I got ambitious last night and installed the harness before I got Don's reply.
Jeff

I just called NHRA to confirm what Don reported and a single point attachment on the shoulder harness is not SFI approved. I do not understand why Summit would sell this type of belt. They will cover all the shipping and handling for me so I will not have to pay for that again. What sucks is I got ambitious last night and installed the harness before I got Don's reply.
Jeff

I think "words" are getting mixed up here.:confused:

The Y-type belts are not allowed as was stated.

We just had 2 cars with roll cages, one to 7.50, certified and both shoulder belts were mounted the the cross bar. Both belts are attached with one bolt.

I'm with Nick, I have the same set up in my GN. Ive never had an issue in tech. They look at the dates, and thats about it. Also any car with a "power adder" no mater how slow or fast, you need a jacket.

I think "words" are getting mixed up here.:confused:

The Y-type belts are not allowed as was stated.

We just had 2 cars with roll cages, one to 7.50, certified and both shoulder belts were mounted the the cross bar. Both belts are attached with one bolt.

Very confusing. I also have two separate shoulder harness belts attached by one bolt. So I guess this is acceptable. If that is the case I need to call Summit and apologize.
Jeff

As was stated, "Y" belts are illegal, "V" belts are still good. I bet that's the style you got from Summit

I think as long as the belts are separate up to the attaching point, you're OK.

When the shoulder belts meet, are sewn together and then only one strap continues on to the attaching point, that's illegal now.