You can type here any text you want

Side to Side play in Axles

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

65wagone

Just picked up new TR and when I made a right turn it sounded like something was rubbing/grinding. Stopped and when I pulled wheels back and forth the axles clanked in the center section and at the backing plate.
I jacked the car up and it has about 1/4 - 3/8 inch side to side play. Makes a clunking sound.
Any ideas?
Do I need to take it apart?

they should clank when pulled back and forth but i dont know off hand how far they should move, but sounds alittle excessive if u can hear it in the car. is ur suspension stock setup in rear or r there aftermarket parts?

Boxed lowers, airbags, Competition Engineering shocks. I think that's it.
I'm just worried something is loose or will be causing me a serious problem soon.

Boxed lowers, airbags, Competition Engineering shocks. I think that's it.
I'm just worried something is loose or will be causing me a serious problem soon.

so is there two seperate noises? one grinding and the other being the clunk when u jacked car up and pulled on wheel. im not too familiar with the air bags and if any noise can be caused by them but check to see if there r any poly bushings back there, i have poly bushings and they tend to make noise when it is wet or humid outside.

like i said the clunking is normal for any c-clip equipped car. if it worries u, u can take the rear diff cover off and take a look inside. inside u can check the gap between the axles and case pin to see if there is too much play.

I think that's what I'll do. Sometime over the next couple of months I plan on swapping to better axles, c-clip eliminators, etc.
Thanks...

Mark

Took the rear cover off and found slight amount of play with each axle. The main problem is the side-to-side movement of the posi. It appears it was not shimmed correctly when installed. I don't see any damage to the gears.
Anybody else seen this?

it could be improperly shimed, if u take a cap off u could tell if they r the original shims, should be just one per side or if its been shimed before using a steel spacer along with a smaller shim on each side.

it also could be worn out bearings or the outside of the case. ive seen that before where u could grab the unit and move it side to side.

my guess would be the worn bearings. hth!

Back