Smack Me In The Head!!!

bitchin_buick

Cragar Keystone Klassics
Had I not been hardheaded and asked for help 3 weeks ago this story I'm sure would be alot shorter. Around Thanksgiving dailydriver all of a sudden didn't want to start right (sounded like missfire-seemed to have good cranking power) Once up and running seemed ok... Changed fuel filter, checked fuel pump(working), changed plugs and boots,cleaned up all cables/grounds. still had problem. Replaced Ignition coil module, coil packs and housing(was cracked). still sounded like bad missfire problem and new intermitten problems while driving. Replaced fuel pressure regulator... Yup still had problem!!!! New T.P.S.--STILL had problem....Exhaust cracked at manifold(thought maybe lowbackpressure) fixed- still had problem... Engine light finally stayed on long enough to get a proper diagonstics, came up Cam sensor and Crank sensor.... Yup I replaced those also. Still had the problem! Noticed the other day my coolant fan came on as soon as the car fired up and it was 9 degrees out. Today it is 55 ran car for half hour sitting in the drive and fan did not come on but the car started better??? I'm thinking I may have a major wiring problem/main computer or fuel pump not putting out enough pressure. Dont want to drop the fuel tank and spend over $200 bucks if it isn't the fuel pump. I think I have more than one problem and everytime I troubleshoot and think I have have figured it out I end up back at square-1. Very frustrated!!!!!!!!! I have spent 60-70 hours working on her and nothing!!! I'm probably forgetting some $5.00 part that takes 2 minutes to fix and here I am being hardheaded and over $600 in the hole! Very pissed for not asking for help sooner!!!!!:mad:

Is you fuel pump hotwired? I would post this up in the general section of the board. Do you have any scanmaster numbers you could post up?

I posted here cause on the msg. board everything seemed concentrated on buicks and turbos. This is not for my regal, but for my dailydriver a Grand Am. Fuel pump is not hotwired and I dont have a scanmaster... When I took off the old filter and cranked over the car It seemed to shoot out fuel rather well. Fuel line doesnt have a system check valve under the hood as to where I could check the pressure. Not sure If it is electrical problems or pump on the fritz. Over 200bucks for a new pump and the hassle of dropping the tank. Dont want to do that if that is not my main problem!!!! Car runs great sometimes, then horrible othertimes.... Wonderig if it is electrical gliches- colantfan should not come on as soon as motor is started at 9 degreeees. Then not at all at 55 degrees. Also replaced cold air charge sensor... Scanmaster at autozone said cam and crankshaft sensors ---Replacing those did not fix problem-Engine light still on, even after I had it rescanned. Maybe the motor is about to puke.?????? thanks for any ideas.

If its a v-6 it could be the intake gaskets starting to leak. A lot of the gm v-6 engines have problems with these gaskets leaking coolant into cylinders making it missfire until the coolant is burned off. usually starts slowly and is an easy fix if caught early.