You can type here any text you want

So after 7 years I took my intake manifold off to do a cam swap and found this

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gnfanatic

I guess my pcv valve is not doing its job. But worries me the most is the gear on the dist. It is a brass gear and it took a beating, dont know why though? Any ideas??

Attachments

• DSC_4184 (Small).jpg
    DSC_4184 (Small).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 732
  • DSC_4191 (Small).jpg
    DSC_4191 (Small).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 780
The gear is most likely bronze. Roller cam?
Hi vol/hi psi oil pump?

Or the PCV is overwhelmed with a coolant leak into the crankcase.

OR you're just seeing the result of boiling 7 years of sweat at once.

oil has no coolant in it ever. bronze gear. roller cam, 40 psi hot at idle. I dont know what type of pump/spring rpe uses. if pvc is overwhelmed what can i do??

oil has no coolant in it ever. bronze gear. roller cam, 40 psi hot at idle. I dont know what type of pump/spring rpe uses. if pvc is overwhelmed what can i do??

It might just be 7 years of sweat then. Haw much did you drive it between the 7 years dormant and pulling the intake?

first time pulling intake since engine rebuild. car sits in garage during winter here in NY. maybe 15k miles???

Is it a billet roller cam? Or a ductile roller cam ?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I had to run an oil line to spray my cam gear on my billet roller cam. There isn't a passage to feed oil to it like the stock cast cams. May want to look at that. Also, is that an aftermarket front cover? Might not be machined just right.

that's what those cam gears are supposed to to- they get worn away instead of the cam. they are sacrificial parts that really wear out fast if you have a high volume oil pump.

I had to run an oil line to spray my cam gear on my billet roller cam. There isn't a passage to feed oil to it like the stock cast cams. May want to look at that. Also, is that an aftermarket front cover? Might not be machined just right.

I dont even remember where this cover came from. How can I tell???? I would like to add a a oil line like you did but dont know how to go about it. you have any pics??
thanks!

You defiantly have a coolant leak. Thank your pcv for keeping it out of the oil.

I just switched to composite gear. I have a few hundred miles on it now. I been meaning to pull it out and see if any of wear. Let me get a cup of coffee down and I'll yank it.

For the gears to live the cam needs end play and some type of oil feed. They say .005 - .010 end play. IMO the high side is more forgiving. A small hole can be drilled in one of the oil gallery plugs .020.

You defiantly have a coolant leak. Thank your pcv for keeping it out of the oil.

I just switched to composite gear. I have a few hundred miles on it now. I been meaning to pull it out and see if any of wear. Let me get a cup of coffee down and I'll yank it.

For the gears to live the cam needs end play and some type of oil feed. They say .005 - .010 end play. IMO the high side is more forgiving. A small hole can be drilled in one of the oil gallery plugs .020.
I didnt have coolant going into the oil. Everytime I built boost I would burn it out of the exhuast. #6 plug was wet. That must be condensation , I might not have enough venting or possibly the pcv valve needs to be replaced. May I ask where you bout that gear?? I need one :)

Back