You can type here any text you want

So after 7 years I took my intake manifold off to do a cam swap and found this

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I forgot the mention the car backfired hard when otto was dyno tuning it. one of the spark plug wires was shot, way to much resistance. It is very possible it damaged the gasket at that time/

I didnt have coolant going into the oil. Everytime I built boost I would burn it out of the exhuast. #6 plug was wet. That must be condensation , I might not have enough venting or possibly the pcv valve needs to be replaced. May I ask where you bout that gear?? I need one :)

A small coolant leak will turn to vapor in the crankcase and get vacuumed out by the pcv.

You have to switch both gears (cam and dis.) to run composite distributor gear. Are you running a billet roller cam?

sorry for the delay guys. Been crazy. Just took of the pass side head and noticed the valve is rusty and the end of the gasket has the same crap under the intake had. So considering the #6 plug was wet, rusty valve and the head gasket looking like that it looks like #6 was burning coolant. The new cam is going to be billet.

Attachments

• CAM00019(2).jpg
    CAM00019(2).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 166
175 but once I build up boost and have fun the temps climb quickly to 210 and stay there. check the rad and alot of water is missing. refill, temps go back down.

nova, what about all that bronze going in my motor though?? Not happy about this.
Nova is correct. My new engine uses one. Builder told me to replace the gear every 2 years or so. It does not wear off in chunks, it just slowly wears. Same as your bearing surfaces and other related items do.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Nova is correct. My new engine uses one. Builder told me to replace the gear every 2 years or so. It does not wear off in chunks, it just slowly wears. Same as your bearing surfaces and other related items do.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I don't know who is building your stuff but with proper alignment and adequate oiling the gear should never go bad.

I don't know who is building your stuff but with proper alignment and adequate oiling the gear should never go bad.
Didnt say go bad, but it will wear. As for who is building...pick the top 2 builders out there and its one of them.
To the OP...try leaving the O-ring off your cam sensor and using a dist gasket like a Chevy uses. This will allow for better alignment if your cover is off a bit. The O-ring often times causes the mis-alignment.

There are a few things that can be done to prevent wear.

1) Make sure the gears are getting oil.

2) If using a solid roller button, make sure the cam has enough end play.

3) Dull the edges of the cam gear with emery or a fine file.

I've had a composite cam sensor gear on for a few weeks now. Pulled it last week to check for signs of wear. Looked fine. I posted a picture in another thread. I will be checking on it periodically and posting pics. We'll see...

Rick

Back