So I got a ticket today...

down here they can ticket your car in your driveway if the plates are expired, you don't even have to be driving it. This is kinda nice, cuz the village of hatians that live just down the street tend to have 4-5 really bad beaters in their driveway. One day they'll all be in the yard/driveway, then next day they'll all have big orange stickers on the windows, and a couple of days later they're all gone.

Always fight your tickets.

Even if you were in the wrong and you win, it will make up for any BS tickets you have received in the past or will receive in the future. This is what I call "Approximate justice".

You very well could have a decent case too. You need to look up exactly what he wrote you up for and see if it specifically applies to your vehicle. Police officers frequently write you up for the wrong infraction and not fighting a ticket like that is merely encouraging sloppy police work.

I received a ticket for bald tires, out of state registration, and out of state license. The bald tire ticket was no good. After I did my research I found that my tires were in fact within the legal limit of the law in CA 1/16". By the time I decided to have the ticket signed off they were below that so I just had the ticket signed off.
The other two tickets I fought, and won. Here is the story.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbo-lounge/230550-i-beat-my-ticket.html

down here they can ticket your car in your driveway if the plates are expired, you don't even have to be driving it.

Doughtful. So if you go away, park your vehicle in your driveway and forget to renew your reg, you will get a ticket??? There is probably a local building code/local ordinance about having vehicles on a property without tags.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Well I finally had my court date and they still made me pay the fine because they're cops and they do what they want. When I talked to the judge I told him that I showed my emissions and safety inspection to the officer and they told me that the officer has the right to write tickets for whatever he wants on anyone's property. Which makes no sense because that isn't the truth.

I guess it was naive of me to think that they wouldn't be stupid about it. I figured they could maybe cut me a break because I'm pretty sure I was the only person in that room that wasn't high on pcp at the time or in court for their 12th DWI.

So now it's a scam and the judge is in on in? :biggrin: Better call Matlock. :biggrin: And again I would like to reiterate. Every state has different laws so posting advice here about legal issues is a little ridiculous, IMHO. Unless you're a lawyer or a cop in the original posters state then it don't amount to much, now do it?

Doughtful. So if you go away, park your vehicle in your driveway and forget to renew your reg, you will get a ticket??? There is probably a local building code/local ordinance about having vehicles on a property without tags.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

It's against the law to have a car within sight of the road that doesn't have tags. Yes, you will get a ticket if your car is in your driveway without current tags. It will get towed off your property if not taken care of within 7 days of getting the orange sticker. Ignorance of the law is not an excuse, heard that one too many times.

If you so much a touched the street with that car, he can pull you over wherever he wants. If you moved it from one space to another, or similar, and the entire thing happened on private property, the only way he can get you, is if the owner of the property called and requested it. Otherwise, fences don't matter. They cant ticket you for moving that car entirely on private property. Just like you cant get a speeding, or a disobeying a stop sign ticket in the local grocery parking lot. Theres no fences around that lot is there? Nope. If you could get a ticket on private property, that's all the cops would have to do, is sit there and watch the stop sign in the local home depot or grocery store lot. He'd generate THOUSANDS of dollars per DAY if that were the case. Ever wonder why you NEVER see cops sittin in parking lots? It's because of that law. Now I'm not sure if that varies from state to state, but here in michigan, you cant get a ticket for that. In your state you may be able to. I'd check up on the local laws, and if I found out he was wrong, Id complain. But if you hit that street, your ass is his.

I guess it was naive of me to think that they wouldn't be stupid about it. I figured they could maybe cut me a break because I'm pretty sure I was the only person in that room that wasn't high on pcp at the time or in court for their 12th DWI.[/QUOTE]

TOO DAMN FUNNY!!!!!!!!
I can relate...I live not too far from there. I am in Ofallon MO
Bryan

They can give you a ticket because the plates are expired since they are property of the DMV and are supposed to be registered. If not registered they are supposed to be returned to the DMV so they can re-issue them. Therefore they can give you a ticket since you have not returned their un-registered property.

Always fight your tickets.

Bro if you make over $200/day then you are not going to take the time out of work to fight a stupid ticket. Its a waste of time and you will usually only get a reduced fine and have to sit in a $hitty court house full of scum bags all day. I was at Bridgeport court house with a friend last April. What a bunch of f'in losers there are there. These non conforming scums cant even follow simple directions like "take off all your jewelry and empty your pockets" before going through a metal detector. Waited in line for 20 minuted while these a-holes pissed off the bailiffs at the metal detectors. Ive never seen such low class in my life. I could never do a job like that because i would want to ring necks every day. You need a lot of patience to deal with such low lifes daily.

Bro if you make over $200/day then you are not going to take the time out of work to fight a stupid ticket. Its a waste of time and you will usually only get a reduced fine and have to sit in a $hitty court house full of scum bags all day. I was at Bridgeport court house with a friend last April. What a bunch of f'in losers there are there. These non conforming scums cant even follow simple directions like "take off all your jewelry and empty your pockets" before going through a metal detector. Waited in line for 20 minuted while these a-holes pissed off the bailiffs at the metal detectors. Ive never seen such low class in my life. I could never do a job like that because i would want to ring necks every day. You need a lot of patience to deal with such low lifes daily.

Well, in my case I get lots of paid time off. I didn't have to use it anyway to file a trial by written declaration though. In California you can contest a ticket through the mail.

I hear you on the low lifes. I have a very low tolerance for scumbags.

I fight all my tickets, but I'll agree with bison, it isn't worth MY time. I pay The Ticket Clinic $69 and every time they've got the ticket dropped. Not a reduced fine or infraction, not "witheld adjudication", they've got them dropped. No court costs, which you have to pay even if you win, I pay them $69 over the phone, give them the ticket number and do nothing else.

If you moved it from one space to another, or similar, and the entire thing happened on private property, the only way he can get you, is if the owner of the property called and requested it.

That's basically all he saw me do. He pulled into the apartment complex about a minute after I pulled up to get my mail. If they were able to write tickets in there they would have to have legal signage through-out the parking lot. There are no stop signs, there are 5 mph speed limit signs that look nothing like the ones you see on the highway.

I talked to a lawyer and he basically told me the same thing that you just said. I guess I should have looked up the actual laws and brought them in with me.

It was gratifying though to ruin the cops night and force him take time away from his family to sit in court. Oh forgot to tell you guys about this....he actually said I was lucky he was giving me a break and wasn't going to have my car towed! I pulled into a parking spot when he pulled me over, and was about 100 yards away from my apartment. He also said my completely clear license plate cover was illegal. Both are just examples of them trying to rationalize being a dick to someone.

That's basically all he saw me do. He pulled into the apartment complex about a minute after I pulled up to get my mail. If they were able to write tickets in there they would have to have legal signage through-out the parking lot. There are no stop signs, there are 5 mph speed limit signs that look nothing like the ones you see on the highway.

I talked to a lawyer and he basically told me the same thing that you just said. I guess I should have looked up the actual laws and brought them in with me.

It was gratifying though to ruin the cops night and force him take time away from his family to sit in court. Oh forgot to tell you guys about this....he actually said I was lucky he was giving me a break and wasn't going to have my car towed! I pulled into a parking spot when he pulled me over, and was about 100 yards away from my apartment. He also said my completely clear license plate cover was illegal. Both are just examples of them trying to rationalize being a dick to someone.
What a dick head that cop was.