You can type here any text you want

So you think you are running alot of valve spring pressure?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
My brother works for a valvetrain design place... and he tests different spring/valve/pushrod combos from time to time for his own stuff on this spintron he has a small block Ford hooked to..... anyway... one of his combos he was experimenting with was a 2.10 SS intake valve... and a spring with 350# of spring pressure on the seat..... and 1000# of spring pressure over the nose!

This combo would only spin up to around 7500 RPM before valve bounce went nuts...

He has ended up with a titanium valve combo and a lighter spring.... got it turning 9100 RPM smooth as silk (on the SpinTron)......

His cam combo should have him shifting over 8000 so.... he's good...

How many minutes do the valve guides last at 1000 lbs psi though? Can he test that?

How many minutes do the valve guides last at 1000 lbs psi though? Can he test that?

I'll ask... I'll bet this isn't a multi-year race engine.... I'm sure it will need freshening in several fronts after one season....

Modern Pro Stock Valve springs are 450 # on the seat and over 1200# over the nose. They get changed once they drop to 350#. They use Beryllium guides and seats. Valve sizes are over 2.5 fo the intake and 1.8 on the exhaust and a 2.300 installed height.
Non cryo valve springs last a pass or so, cryo treated Valve springs last about twice as long, depends on how good the shoe is on the shift lights and the burnout.

Back