SO, what is the next big thing?

You're not supposed to kiss and tell when another man lets you look under his HOOD. :eek::D

I bet he'll never be caught with his fly down around you again!! :p;)

You're not supposed to kiss and tell when another man lets you look under his HOOD. :eek::D

I bet he'll never be caught with his fly down around you again!! :p;)
Stage 2 with stage 2 heads. Wasn't intentionally trying to make a 9 second passion a pump gas tune but instead just trying to make a safe pass on a conservative tune. Like Bison said, I bet we could take a few degrees of timing out an even lower the boost and still be 9.x with pump gas.
AG

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks, I'm still learning how to maximize my combo and looking at other options for down the road to put me in the nines eventually.

I'm trying to figure out how much it's going to cost me within reason and base it off of proven combos that have been out there for awhile.

I wish someone would put together several complete different turn key proven packages or kits like cam , heads , turbo , converter, injectors , computer system and etc for your desired goal on your prepared block instead of this Johnny Cash method 1 piece at a time .

I wish someone would put together several complete different turn key proven packages or kits like cam , heads , turbo , converter, injectors , computer system and etc for your desired goal on your prepared block instead of this Johnny Cash method 1 piece at a time .
Putting up $20000 then hoping someone will fork over the cash wouldn't be worthwhile. As far as "kits" you're still asking for a lot. John has $2000 to spend on valvetrain and Joe has $800. Why would John not take advantage of tue best of the best. The components vary by application and are too expensive to stock in most instances. I have enough to setup 2 sets of heads for aggressive lobes. That's it. Cams are ordered as needs and pushrod has to be determined after everything else is done.

I notice that most guys running in the nines or faster don't put all the components of what they have in their sigs.

The fast guys keep some secrets as they worked hard to get there and don't want added competition by sharing with others.

Some don't put anything in their sigs except times they run or services they offer.

It still is and always has been about money and how much can be extracted from your wallet. How fast do you want to spend!!!:D

That's kind of a different tangent.... There's some guys hauling ass for relatively little.... and soe guys that are a vendors wet dream ripping off high 12s/low 13's with every .2/2MPH part they can buy.

That's kind of a different tangent.... There's some guys hauling ass for relatively little.... and soe guys that are a vendors wet dream ripping off high 12s/low 13's with every .2/2MPH part they can buy.

True, very true, that's what makes it so difficult for the novice to find what they need, not what everyone wants to sell them for minimal gains that could be avoided if people were more hands on with their cars instead of the mentality of what can I bolt on to get another second or 100HP.

Fish in a barrel, that's what some vendors see the clueless as,and rightfully so if TR owners don't want to do their homework then it can cost them some pain instead of pleasure.

The net is a double edged sword, opinions are like asses, everyone has one.

It's sometimes hard to sift through the BS and find the truth because nobody wants to be wrong.

True, very true, that's what makes it so difficult for the novice to find what they need, not what everyone wants to sell them for minimal gains that could be avoided if people were more hands on with their cars instead of the mentality of what can I bolt on to get another second or 100HP.

Fish in a barrel, that's what some vendors see the clueless as,and rightfully so if TR owners don't want to do their homework then it can cost them some pain instead of pleasure.

It's sometimes hard to sift through the BS and find the truth because nobody wants to be wrong.
I cant tell you how many times I told a customer on the phone to not buy any more parts but to just tune what he has before buying more stuff. Most of them call the next vendor and buy the part anyway in my experience. No one wants to tune, there is lots of cars with 10 second parts that go 12's, many times the vendor gets the blame for that when a guy is not happy with the outcome even though it is his own doing. I had a customer who wanted a 9 sec car, we put together a stroker combo and the car ran 9.70 with an extender chip. Exactly what he wanted. He called me and says "so and so told me m car would be way faster with an XFI, how much?" I explained to him that since he really did not know how to tune it and had no interest in learning it would be a mistake and the car would not really go much faster plus it had already met his goal. He called the other vendor and bought the XFI from him with a program "guaranteed to run better" 1st pass car went slower, 2nd pass he burned 2 pistons and 1 head. (for the record he did not buy it from Cal) he then asks me to "please help him fix it cheap" because he spent all his money on the XFI, when I told him what would need to be done somehow I became the bad guy. I could have just took his money, charged him to tune it and all that for him to get a very small increase in performance but was trying to help him. Just one example, I have lots.

I cant tell you how many times I told a customer on the phone to not buy any more parts but to just tune what he has before buying more stuff. Most of them call the next vendor and buy the part anyway in my experience. No one wants to tune, there is lots of cars with 10 second parts that go 12's, many times the vendor gets the blame for that when a guy is not happy with the outcome even though it is his own doing. I had a customer who wanted a 9 sec car, we put together a stroker combo and the car ran 9.70 with an extender chip. Exactly what he wanted. He called me and says "so and so told me m car would be way faster with an XFI, how much?" I explained to him that since he really did not know how to tune it and had no interest in learning it would be a mistake and the car would not really go much faster plus it had already met his goal. He called the other vendor and bought the XFI from him with a program "guaranteed to run better" 1st pass car went slower, 2nd pass he burned 2 pistons and 1 head. (for the record he did not buy it from Cal) he then asks me to "please help him fix it cheap" because he spent all his money on the XFI, when I told him what would need to be done somehow I became the bad guy. I could have just took his money, charged him to tune it and all that for him to get a very small increase in performance but was trying to help him. Just one example, I have lots.

the crank I bought from you 2 years ago is still going strong, and is still std/std :)

there is another problem there too. Sometimes bad info or info that has changed lives on this board like a fungus that won't go away. There is a couple parts that had problems years ago, the problems were fixe years ago and no problems exist now. I still get calls and have customers that comment I heard that part has X problem, I usually tell them to check the date on the post here they just read because I know that is where they "heard" it. Sometimes they don't want to accept the truth or are skeptical which I completely understand but it does make things tough

^^^^There is no doubt that this happens more often than you would like to admit.^^^
Don't feel bad if they don't listen to your advise, just take solace in that you do the best you can and do so by being honest.

But this is a bigger problem
there is another problem there too. Sometimes bad info or info that has changed lives on this board like a fungus that won't go away. There is a couple parts that had problems years ago, the problems were fixe years ago and no problems exist now. I still get calls and have customers that comment I heard that part has X problem, I usually tell them to check the date on the post here they just read because I know that is where they "heard" it. Sometimes they don't want to accept the truth or are skeptical which I completely understand but it does make things tough

As people read old and new posts and try to marry old tech that works in one situation and trying to find something that is the latest and greatest and will fix all previous problems or make them achieve their goals while refusing to grasp that you need everything working together to meet said goals.

^^^^
But this is a bigger problem

As people read old and new posts and try to marry old tech that works in one situation and trying to find something that is the latest and greatest and will fix all previous problems or make them achieve their goals while refusing to grasp that you need everything working together to meet said goals.

All the info is here........But if you do not understand how it really works to start with and are not willing to spend the time it takes to learn how to tune. ( it is not a science) or we would be scientist. Its more of a art. witch takes time and patience to perfect. And each component may yield different results then what someone else has produced with the same component.
And you / the motor/tranny are going to fail here and there along the way. If you cant except that you are in the wrong hobby/business. God bless Brian, Mike , Nick , and others for trying to explore new ways for us to succeed. I would say Donnie W. but I cant do Chinese arithmetic... (boy that came out wong). And to run XX you do not need a bigger or better mouse trap. U mostly need to know how to operate the one ya got.

And you / the motor/tranny are going to fail here and there along the way. If you cant except that you are in the wrong hobby/business.

Why are you directing that at me personally???

I've been in this hobby for over thirty years. I'm new to TR's but I of all people know that when you go much further than stock, things will break and the cycle begins.

Like I said earlier, how fast do you want to spend. Build motor break trans, build trans and break motor or something else. Whenever something is pushed hard and often enough you will break something, PERIOD.

I've built and played with many a car over the years and one thing that hasn't changed no matter what make or engine/drivetrain combo is that the faster you go the more expensive the crack habit gets. Buicks have always cost more than other makes to build.

I've owned buicks for over 30 years and they are the most expensive to build of the big three, try building a 68/72 A body BBB motor for less than a TV6 and see which one breaks first.

You also must realize that if not for people like you and I amongst all the other buick nuts out there that TA, Brian, Nick, and others wouldn't exist.

I'm grateful for the very people/companies you mentioned as without the people or the passion they bring to the table these cars would have been forgotten long ago.

Combination has been the key and always will. My T top GN is old school, the most current part on it is a Direct Scan and my computer to monitor it has crapped out and I am thinking of upgrading to a Powerlogger set up if I can find an old laptop in a few weeks. Old 72 lb injectors cleaned once by Cody Motorsports, PTE chip, ESP front mount, SX fuel pump, Casper knock gauge, air bagged, non boxed stock suspension, TE 63 upgraded by Rick @ former Turbo Specialties to a TE66, funky ESP ( backwards cam), Turbo 350 trans and a 3500 stall Rev Max Torque converter( newest mechanical part) and 3.73 gears. Actually I stand corrected I did get a new Pypes exhaust system and replaced the Flow master set up. I purchased this car in 1997 beginning 98. There have been countless times when I saw the latest and greatest. Quad air's article on a roller 206/206, any new billet series turbo ( big bucks compared to the old Te 63) , Champion and TA aluminum heads ( guys that have well over $4k in a set), 3.625 stroker cranks ( missed the first run completely), Hi energy ESP coil packs, block girdles ( I was looking at an old ATR catalog that said " A girdle will get a 3.8l block safely into the 10's", 8's were inconcievable then), Accel DFI, Fel-pro, Classic FAST, Big Stuff, Fast XFI, Precision front mounts, DLS motors, Harper Racing and the list goes on and on.. Combination, machining, and assembly, massive amounts of seat time and the almighty Benjamins. I want to go faster with my 109. I have 2 others to be stock and I have stage motors when I get a roller ready and it's old school too.

It wasn't..... You just read into it a little to deeply.... How about you ,me and all.:D

I didn't read it to deeply, just the way you wrote it.Unless you are insinuating that I will fail.

I could pick apart your spelling but will leave that to the witches where sarcasm is AN art..

I can almost always tell how young someone is by how they spell or lack thereof.

I'm old school and get frustrated by how the younger generation is either getting short changed in their education or are just to lazy to take the time to spell correctly.

Don't take this personally, it's wide spread on every board and I make mistakes also.:D

P.S. you forgot Y'ALL.

Combination has been the key and always will. My T top GN is old school, the most current part on it is a Direct Scan and my computer to monitor it has crapped out and I am thinking of upgrading to a Powerlogger set up if I can find an old laptop in a few weeks. Old 72 lb injectors cleaned once by Cody Motorsports, PTE chip, ESP front mount, SX fuel pump, Casper knock gauge, air bagged, non boxed stock suspension, TE 63 upgraded by Rick @ former Turbo Specialties to a TE66, funky ESP ( backwards cam), Turbo 350 trans and a 3500 stall Rev Max Torque converter( newest mechanical part) and 3.73 gears. Actually I stand corrected I did get a new Pypes exhaust system and replaced the Flow master set up. I purchased this car in 1997 beginning 98.

I love old school also. Have you been to the track with it or is it strictly a DD.