You can type here any text you want

Solid Roller Lifters?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nasty Wendy

Perverted Lurker
Which ones should I use? There is a set for sale here and I told Noe that I'd let him know tomorrow if I wanted them. I need to know what I should use in a Stage 2 that hasn't been set up for oiling in the lifter bores. He has the Comp 868-12 for sale. I need something that will stand up to racing as as lots of driving on the street. Thanks guys.

If you're wondering which ones racer's and engine builder's that I've talked to rate as the best, it's Crower and Isky. I run Crower. I surveyed a lot of people before I bought.

On center. Its a GN1 headed 153 block. NOT GN1r so there won't be any offset pushrods.

Part number probably won't help you much. I went with a larger diameter .903 body. A beefier lifter. The part number is 66290X903-16.

Part number probably won't help you much. I went with a larger diameter .903 body. A beefier lifter. The part number is 66290X903-16.

I was asking what 'model' lifter more so than for the part number. Seems every website I go to Crower, Comp, Isky has multiple model lifters for our application. On Crower's site they have the two that I listed in my question to you. What I need to know is what lifters will survive the best in my application. Thanks for the info.

Make sure you get the pressure fed option. The crower lifters from TA performance do not have that feature.

The 'H' stands for the pressure fed model. I would tend to recommend the pressure fed model for street use. The .024" orifice times 12 kind of worries me though. Don't know what kind of pressure drop it might cause with the different weight oils that people use. Make sure your oiling system is setup to provide the extra volume you'll need to feed those orifices. I don't use the pressure fed models. In a race engine the rollers get plenty of splash oil. In a street engine where you might see a long period of idling at times, it makes better sense to use the pressure fed.

So will I need to do the necessary plumbing to have engine oil pressure fed to the lifter bores or do these lifters somehow pressure feed the bearings with splash oil?

You don't have to do anything different to use the H models. As long as nothing was done to change the feed to the oil galleys.

You don't have to do anything different to use the H models. As long as nothing was done to change the feed to the oil galleys.

OK. I'm confused as hell. I thought the 153 blocks did not have pressure fed oil to the lifter bores. I thought that if you wanted to run hydraulic lifters you would have to connect the driver's side and passenger side oiling galley for the lifters and drill through the lifter bores and plug the hole on on the outside of the lifter bores with a small set screw in order to get pressured oil to the lifter bores. I was told that this wouldn't have to be done to run solid lifters. So now what should I do? Do I need to have the lifter bores pressure fed or not?

I'm sorry. I'm not familiar with the 153 block. If the oiling in that block is like that, were you planning on using this on the street? If you're not going to pressure feed the lifter bores, then don't worry about the H models. I don't think I would use that type of oiling system on the street, unless you go through the mods to pressure feed the lifter bores.

OK. Things are clearing up for me now. Yeah I'll have to pressure feed the lifter bores. Its not that big of a deal. As a matter of fact my lifter bores are already drilled so I'll just have to tap them to install the set screws. I think there are a couple of different ways to get oil to the passenger side galley so one way or the other I'll make it happen. Hell the holes may already be tapped. I haven't checked.

Yes I do plan on driving it on the street.....as much as I can.:D

Thanks for your time and insight.

Let me try. The holes you see in the lifter bore housing all the way to the inside of the lifter valley are simply access holes to allow you to reach a drill bit all the way to the inside of the lifter bore and drill a hole thru it and into the oil galley that runs behind it. Usually this hole is very small .040" or so.
It is very easy to miss so look very closely as it may already be there. After you drill the appropriate hole then you fill the bigger hole on the inside with a set screw to seal it off.
Hope that helps you!!! Mike:cool:

OK. You're talking about a Stage II block, correct? My second engine was an old Busch block. Check the oiling system thoroughly. My block had a long steel rod jammed down one galley to block it off. It was a pain in the arse to remove.

Back