Some real world intercooler numbers

When shoping for a front mount, I did a ton of research on here to see what would be the best solution for my combo. I ran across many people asking for some real world numbers as far as how well an intercooler did it's job.

Up until a few months ago, I was trying to get the car to run 11's on the stock turbo. I started logging the temp on the outlet of the stock, ported intercooler (not a dutt neck). Readings would be around 190 degrees in the South Florida heat @ 25 psi of boost.

Now in June, I changed the stocker out for a TE45A and cranked the boost to 27 psi. I also changed the intercooler with a stock, dutt neck one. Outlet temps soared to 210 degrees, ambient was 85 degrees out. Even with a single M15 nozzle of meth, this would only allow the new turbo to not make any power past 27 psi and timing was taken all the way down to 20/18 in order to keep knock away.

Needless to say, that's when I started shopping for a front mount.

I ended up with an old style GN1 front mount in good shape. I've read here that it is a Chinese core and that they won't perform as well as the ones made by vendors here. I wish I had the coin for a $1000 front mount but it's not in the cards. The one I got measures 24x11x3, a good amount bigger then the stocker. Went racing last night with the same weather conditions in June, 85 degrees, and saw 155 degrees at the outlet of the intercooler. Needless to say, the ~55 degree drop in temps allowed me to go to 32 psi and 26 degrees of timing with very little knock.

In summary.

TE45A, 85 degrees ambient, 27 psi, 20/18 timing, dutt neck stocker = 210 degrees outlet temp
TE45A, 85 degrees ambient, 32 psi, 26/24 timing, GN1 front mount = 155 degrees outlet temp

All the temp numbers listed above were measured PRE meth nozzle.

Not sure how much better a Cotton's, RJC, etc front mount would compare to these numbers, but I'm pleased with the results.

Here are a few pics.

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5690.jpg

Nice!

Do you use powerlogger? If so can you send me the file?

Let me know the next time you are heading up to the track.

Mike

I don't think that there is anyone in the world that needs ported heads and a cam more than you......:D

Thanks for posting. These intercoolers are your best value to go fast.

Now just waiting for the blown up IC tank picture to come into play from the naysayers.:)

You should be logging pressure drop also. Id bet the pressure drop with the stocker was tremendous at 5500+rpm when running the 45 hard. You were probably at mid 30's pre intercooler to get 27psi post. Ive seen data logs from TSM cars with RJC intercoolers as well as the large Dequick front mount and the temps were at around 120 or less in 80 degree air. No methanol on those either and the engines were moving a bunch more air than a stock cam/headed engine could.

You should be logging pressure drop also. Id bet the pressure drop with the stocker was tremendous at 5500+rpm when running the 45 hard. You were probably at mid 30's pre intercooler to get 27psi post. Ive seen data logs from TSM cars with RJC intercoolers as well as the large Dequick front mount and the temps were at around 120 or less in 80 degree air. No methanol on those either and the engines were moving a bunch more air than a stock cam/headed engine could.

FWIW I have seen logs with stock engines with RJC front mounts with temps 110 or less on 85 degree days in the MidWest. Both cars running upper 20s of boost. Both cars ran mid 11s at upper 11X's.

FWIW I have seen logs with stock engines with RJC front mounts with temps 110 or less on 85 degree days in the MidWest. Both cars running upper 20s of boost. Both cars ran mid 11s at upper 11X's.

So you can imagine how well the RJC really works when you are comparing a stock engine to a low 9 sec TSM engine and its only 10 degrees warmer and probably 1500 rpm higher.

So you can imagine how well the RJC really works when you are comparing a stock engine to a low 9 sec TSM engine and its only 10 degrees warmer and probably 1500 rpm higher.

For sure. The RJC is a nice piece. I thought about upgrading to the RJC. But mine still show good numbers. Maybe someday.

Lotta good info in this thread. There'll still be those that will say front mounts are a waste of money unless you're shooting for low 10's or quicker.

Personally I think anytime you can show these kind of inlet temp advantages it's great for any application.

For the OP, when you get a chance to get a really high quality core you'll see even better results!!!

I'm still running my old CAS V2, and since I started logging actual inlet temps a little over a year ago, I've yet to see inlet temps any more than 15° above ambient on a good hard full WOT run!!!!!!

Averages are closer to 12° over ambient good agressive driving and even less at highway cruising.

Inlet air temps

I don't recall what the ambient air temp was for the TSM final at Norwalk this year.

During that pass, the inlet temperature was 89 degrees when the T-brake was released, actually dipped to 83 degrees in the middle of the run and was at 90 degrees at the end of the run.

We're using the RJC front mount and do everything we can think of to force as much air as possible through intercooler. We also try to create as much negative pressure as possible in the engine compartment.

Airc..

the stock i/c was rated at only 55-58% efficient when new.
After 20 yrs of heat cycles, vibration, twisting, dirt/bug injestion, the integrity of the tube to fin joints declines, and the efficiency drops even further...
It would be interesting to test that new i/c with a flow divider in the inlet tank. [If it's not already there.]

Back to hookin up the "i/c in a bottle," on the 6.0..:D