Sometimes you just gotta start over....

A lot of people appear to be running as much or more boost at the compression level we're at. Lots of people are even doing it in the 12:1 range.

Thats the nice thing about this engine management system. You set safe thresholds for EGTs and it will shut the system down if you reach it.

At this point we can only do what the motor tells us what it wants. On the last pull the plug showed no heat in the strap or threads. The look like brand new. The egts still in the 850-900 range it needs more timing. The fuel is 2200 lbs per hour. could be rich but spinning the tires want load the motor to get a good read. To the track we go, hope the rain holds off.

A lot of people appear to be running as much or more boost at the compression level we're at. Lots of people are even doing it in the 12:1 range.

Thats the nice thing about this engine management system. You set safe thresholds for EGTs and it will shut the system down if you reach it.

I just checked my cal file that I used with the 11.25:1 engine and I used 27 degrees at 255 kPa and 7700 rpm. That was the engine I folded the Carrillos in at 29 psi boost. My mixture was on the lean side though. I would not use Carrillos in a blown alky engine again.

It's common for blown alky engines to have static CRs between 10:1 and 12:1. BUT!!!... Each alky engine will have a character of its own and will want what it wants. I need to repeat that. Each alky engine will have a character of its own and will want what it wants. Like Turbo54 stated, let the engine tell you what it wants. Do not use other engines as an example of what you should be doing with yours. It could be 180 off.

Make a few passes (3) on those plugs before you make a decision on the heat signs. In some alky engines, no heat signs in the plug was what worked best.

Are you taking a/f readings? If so, what is it doing?

You're way safe on the EGT. Lean on that sucker a little. I would leave the timing alone for now. Keep the timing safe and play with the mixture a little. See if you can get a touch of heat in the plug. Try to just touch the first thread.

Blew the door off last night:eek: :eek: :biggrin:

Took it to the track last night for a "little" testing...

Car did great, I am thrilled:biggrin: :biggrin: We lost a door but;)

We will try to get some video up over the weekend of the 2 short blasts we made last night.

Track was a little cold so we didn't hook and the car was spinning all the way, first 60ft was 1.22 next was 1.29.

Last pass was on 5cly and ran 3.34 at the 330ft spinning all the way:eek: They car went into a little shake and the door took flight:eek:

We all feel great after the session. Converter is WAY off showing 31% slippage.... Never drop rpm's between shifts, we got enough data to know we got enough....

Congrats on getting her out guys.
I knew she was going to be fast, but I did not expect
you to blow your own doors off at the first trip to the track!:eek: :wink:
Good luck gentlemen, this is starting to get fun!

DAYUM Car is so fast you blew your OWN DOORS OFF:biggrin: LOL

CANNOT wait for the vids!

Yea.. that was something else. The second run, the car was definitely on a pass. It left good, it was going straight and moving out. Right after the 330, it moved to the left a little from tire shake and then you see the door literally peel off the car. We think the air got behind it and actually lifted the door up off the hinges and peeled backwards. It removed the striker from the car as well. Im just glad the striker was still in there because I was panicking thinking I didn't close the door after letting the tire smoke out :eek:

Car's got potential.. we probably need a lighter spring on the coil overs in the rear. Fortunately Shane has another set of fiberglass doors so we should have it back out quickly.

Blew the door off last night:eek: :eek: :biggrin:

Took it to the track last night for a "little" testing...

Car did great, I am thrilled:biggrin: :biggrin: We lost a door but;)

We will try to get some video up over the weekend of the 2 short blasts we made last night.

Track was a little cold so we didn't hook and the car was spinning all the way, first 60ft was 1.22 next was 1.29.

Last pass was on 5cly and ran 3.34 at the 330ft spinning all the way:eek: They car went into a little shake and the door took flight:eek:

We all feel great after the session. Converter is WAY off showing 31% slippage.... Never drop rpm's between shifts, we got enough data to know we got enough....

Congrats on shakin her down a little guys! Does it have window latches?

After looking at the data i shifted at 6500 and and let out at 2.60 on the second run. The first run we left at 4600 with a 1.22 60 and the second at 4800 you can hear the tire spinning on the second run. The track was a little loose. All in all a good first outing,

Don, don't forget that you are intercooled so most likely your MAT's are a little lower than theirs so it's hard to compare boost psi for psi since the density is different. Kind of like the stock hot air 84-85's being able to run 19-20 psi on 93 octane when the 86-87's could only run 15-16 psi, but the 86-87's made more power since the MAT was lower, the density higher, and the net result was more air in the cylinders.

Sounds like a fun and successful first outing. Are you going to VMP tonight or this weekend?

Are you going to VMP tonight or this weekend?

No, got to get the converter changed and the new door hung.... We were planning on coming though. Sounds like a nice crowd heading that way!

wooo hoooo! sounds very promising, can't wait to see what it does on a full pass, don't forget about the video, i have my popcorn and soda pop in hand all ready, congrats guys

From my exp you cannot figure out actual slip under the passes you made.
The higher you rev the tighter the convertor will get,Im pretty sure you dont plan on shifting at 6500 and seeing that you didnt run it out the back im sure that number isnt nearly correct.

BTW that motor may be haunted,That is the second car it was in that the door blew off.:biggrin:

Wht was it only on 5 cyl?

Jay, sounds like you guys did a great job with the tune up with that new KAR EFI system. Congrats on your 1st outing. Always bugs to work out no matter what.

On the burnout it went to 5-6 % at 7600 the motor would not rev above 7300 during the run. The tire speed was actually slow in the 60 foot range. With the track being slick the slip should be less. It had 31% at 7300 and may come down when we get it to rev above that rpm.

From my exp you cannot figure out actual slip under the passes you made.
The higher you rev the tighter the convertor will get,Im pretty sure you dont plan on shifting at 6500 and seeing that you didnt run it out the back im sure that number isnt nearly correct.

BTW that motor may be haunted,That is the second car it was in that the door blew off.:biggrin:

Wht was it only on 5 cyl?

we both have a little experience with parts flyin' off!!!! lol!:D Tires shook on my car and the window latch popped open, air got behind the lexan and it was bye bye door skin!!!!

Photos... IM pretty sure this is the pass that launched the door.

Attachments

• race car.jpg
    race car.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 901
  • race car 2.jpg
    race car 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 908