You can type here any text you want

Sources for ARP head stud kit for 86/87 using stock heads

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

coldair85GN

fast85GN
Anyone know who has the best price on the complete set? These will be used on a 4.1 block using factory 8445 heads. Full Throttle sells a set but I dont know who makes them and I would rather use tried and true ARP studs rather than some knock off brand for such a high stress area. I assume also that a "KIT" would be studs and nuts (the entire complete package)...is that a correct assumption?

A kit will be studs washers and nuts. I would also check Jegs and Summit for the ARP kits. They have good prices.

86-87 3.8 studs for a stocker will NOT work on a 4.1 block. The head bolt thread depth in the deck surface is unique on the 109 block. Make sure you order the right kit!!!!!

Dave

86-87 3.8 studs for a stocker will NOT work on a 4.1 block. The head bolt thread depth in the deck surface is unique on the 109 block. Make sure you order the right kit!!!!!

Dave

Exactly why I asked. So....does anyone know the right part number or kit number...or even better...who sells the RIGHT kit?
Looking at the ARP catalog...they have listed 3 possible part numbers...4203 is for the 86-87 GN 3.8, 4201 is for the 77-85 Stage I, and 4202 is for the Stage II. When I look it up on JEGS website I picked an 84 Regal with a 4.1 V6 and it gave me part number 4202 for the Stage II..So is that the part number I need?

Dave

Not true. I have built several for myself and friends and those are the ones we always use. Never a problem.

Exactly why I asked. So....does anyone know the right part number or kit number...or even better...who sells the RIGHT kit?
Looking at the ARP catalog...they have listed 3 possible part numbers...4203 is for the 86-87 GN 3.8, 4201 is for the 77-85 Stage I, and 4202 is for the Stage II. When I look it up on JEGS website I picked an 84 Regal with a 4.1 V6 and it gave me part number 4202 for the Stage II..So is that the part number I need?

You want to use the stage I kit, 4201. I just ordered a set from Summit for an 85 block. The 4.1 should be the same where the thread for the head bolt comes all the way to the top of the deck unlike the 86-87 where the head bolt thread is recessed in the block.

HTH

Prasad

You want to use the stage I kit, 4201. I just ordered a set from Summit for an 85 block. The 4.1 should be the same where the thread for the head bolt comes all the way to the top of the deck unlike the 86-87 where the head bolt thread is recessed in the block.

HTH

Prasad

I can see where that would be the difference,I guess the later bolts work for me because I take out a few of the top threads to relieve pressure on the deck. I just thought that was a common thing to do on the 4.1 builds and forgot to mention it.

Since we are on the subject, what is the correct part number for a 4.1L with aluminum heads? I have the old M&A castings. I too will probably take off the top few threads. TIA

Since we are on the subject, what is the correct part number for a 4.1L with aluminum heads? I have the old M&A castings. I too will probably take off the top few threads. TIA

You may want to call Tom at Champion 386-446-4488 and have him put together a set from all the studs he has there. That's what he was going to do for me thinking that I was runing aluminum heads.

HTH

Prasad

so, what happens if you use 86-87 head studs in an 85 block?

If you use the 86/87 studs on an 84/85 and the 4.1 blocks, you will have problems with the length. The studs will not go all the way down into the block like they should. You may have to use more than one washer to just get the nut to tighten up.
I know for fact that if you use the 86/87 head bolt on the 84/85 block the thicker part of bolt shank will dig into the threaded part on the deck since the 84/85 block does not have the recessed head bolt thread hole. If you try to torque the bolt, you can damage your block or even break the bolt if you torque it hard enough.

That's my experience

HTH

Prasad:smile:

Back