You can type here any text you want

spark plug gap

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I now run .025 gap per RPE. Dont want a spark blown out at high boost.

Bryan

Dang! I thought a tight .032 was small, you 2 make it seem like I'm going after mileage;)

LOL.
I used to run .032 as well. Bobby said to back it down ! I just follow the builders advice, he knows way more than I do.
I don't think you need as much spark to ignite a forced induction motor as a NA motor, but you sure don't want to lose that spark at high boost/RPM

Bryan

^ whats the problem? if spark blow out at high boost and RPM gap the plugs .02 tigher and try again. i would also check plug wires and coil as well

^ whats the problem? if spark blow out at high boost and RPM gap the plugs .02 tigher and try again. i would also check plug wires and coil as well

Its cutting out about 52-5500 and I first thought it was just the limiter.Turbo Tweak told me my limiter is set at 6375 so it wasnt that.

I also realized I dont have a good ground for the coil/module as the bracket and intake are painted so I need to address that also.

I am going to put a new set of plugs in at .025 and add a ground strap to the coil bracket and see what happens.

0.025-27 here. Ran the stock crank, stock rods and wisecos .035 over to 6400 rpm no problem with a 210/210 110 cam and bowl ported irons only at 17psi boost. If I ran 0.032 or higher it would pop around 5000 rpm or so.

The loosest ive gone with anything over 500hp is a tight .028. .023-.025 on my black car. If your making some power and start mis-firing under power you will hurt it.

The loosest ive gone with anything over 500hp is a tight .028. .023-.025 on my black car. If your making some power and start mis-firing under power you will hurt it.

Well it is making some power and I hope I havent hurt it.:(

I am putting in a new set of 43's gapped at a tight .025.

^ you more then likely didnt hurt anything.

Not sure on your setup but how much boost? what cam?

also a set of NGK UR5's would work well. If you want delco get AC CR42TS

I would check plug wires. gapping tighter will tell you if its spark or not. even a weak coil pack could cause poping.

^ you more then likely didnt hurt anything.

Not sure on your setup but how much boost? what cam?

also a set of NGK UR5's would work well. If you want delco get AC CR42TS

I would check plug wires. gapping tighter will tell you if its spark or not. even a weak coil pack could cause poping.

20-25 not exactly sure yet as I am still tracing down these gremlins.
I would see 18-20 last saturday before it would hit the problem area which I thought was the limiter.

I got cr43ts and already gapped them and they are going in the car tonight.

I have brand new MSD wires and the orignial low mileage coil.

Like I said before I need to add a ground strap to the coil as everything is painted.

I have a brand new coil to try also if this doesnt take care of it.

I was running a .028 r42ts delco plug. I never tried anything looser when I was at 28lbs.
Now I'm at a tight .030 but I'm only at 22 lbs.

Went out again over the holiday weekend....ran absolutely awesome.I gapped them at a tight .025 and it ran good enough to make the clutch slip.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm using Denso "iridium" plugs that are factory gapped at .040 and I am using at the factory setting. According to Denso the iridiums take approx. half the voltage to fire as standard plugs and withstands heat well.

I am running 12/14 psi of boost thou with pump gas and the car has run 10.80's with the working air off. :) So it's making some power and the car has not missed yet with that wide of a gap. If I were to push the boost up to the low 20's I would close the gap to .035/.032 to start off with to be safe. Car runs clean on the street with the TT street chip.

wow, .025

i would open them up to .028 and see if it starts to have issues. .25 might be hiding/masking a ign problem

Back