You can type here any text you want

Speedometer lube

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ttypetex

What have you been using for this? WD40 work alright? I've been told that GM parts has the lube, but what else works?

There are several ways to lube a speedo cable. Here's a pic of my little tool that works ok. What I've found is take the cable out of it's casing first and dip it in a tub of grease. Then I use the tool to put grease in the casing. Putting the cable back in requires some pliers but I've never had a squeek after this.

Attachments

• DSCN0001.JPG
    DSCN0001.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 269
My cable started squeeking also, where do you remove the cable from the casing ? Can it be just pulled out from the connection near the master cylinder, or do you have to remove the whole cable & casing then pull the cable out ? :confused: Sam

charlieF1, can that tool be purchased or is it something you made ?

The tool is made by KD tools. Son't have a part number for you though.

As far as removing the cable you need to remove the one attached at the back of the speedo then pull it out of the firewall. Then you can take the cable out. If you've got cruse then you have 2 seperate cables to lube. One from the tranny to the cruse control and one from the cruse to the speedo.

If you've got cruse then you have 2 seperate cables to lube. One from the tranny to the cruse control and one from the cruse to the speedo.

Hmmmmmmm...maybe that is why mine still squeaks after pulling out the cable from the trans through the fire wall. How do you get to the cruise/speedo cable? Pull out the dash? thx

Mine has a servo under the hood which the cable from the tranny attaches to and then another cable goes from the servo to the speedo. You may also be getting some squeaking from the bumper the hood rests against. If you put a dab of grease on it that will keep it from squeaking.

my squeak sound is definitely from behind the dash and stops when i disconnect the connection by the brake booster. digital dash and cruise control (does not work). I've lubed the cable from the brake booster end, and that helped for several months, but now the sound is back and no amount of cleaning/lube of the cable takes the sound away.

btw - i used the johnS method from caspers to remove the cable by pulling it out from the brake booster end. I guess it is time to pull the dash apart - looking forward to that LOL. :eek:

I pulled mine out at the dash and lubed it with WHITE GREASE when I installed Dennis Kirban's 145 MPH speedometer. Do not put lube on the last one foot of the cable that runs to the speedo. If you do, you'll have grease slung on your speedo face.

Charlie's suggestion also is a good idea.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Back