Stainless steel t-top center section

Bweavy

Car Hoarder
Would there be any interest in this being made? I know you can get new from GM but this would be like the ones we make for the Gbodies.
Price would be close to GM's but would never rust out.

We are getting ready to start carrying more parts for the TTa's & wanted to see if this would be worth building.

Most of our suppliers carry Head liners, visors,Seat material kits, etc for interiors.

Would there be any interest in this being made? I know you can get new from GM but this would be like the ones we make for the Gbodies.

We are getting ready to start carrying more parts for the TTa's & wanted to see if this would be worth building.

Yes, I think there is a market for them and I would market them over at thirdgen.org too. There are thousands of F-body T-top owners that have this rust out issue, and lots of them surf there.

Would they be identical to the GM OEM versions or "simplified" to keep tooling costs down? Stamped in proper tooling or cut and welded together?

Would they be identical to the GM OEM versions or "simplified" to keep tooling costs down? Stamped in proper tooling or cut and welded together?

Jan it will be just like the factory unit. If you look at a Gbody it is actually 3 pieces welded together. We have sold alot of Gbody units but I think there are alot more F bodies with T-top out there then Gbodies.

It will be able to be built in stainless & sold for close to the same as the GM unit. The Gbodies have a lot more parts then the F body & that raises the costs.
I have a the proto type coming in next week & will post some pics of a factory unit & the stainless unit.

But to answer your question directly it will not be simplified. It will have some stamping on the rounded edges But it will also be welded together like factory.
I want to keep the price real close to stock GM. I think we will be able to do this due to the amount that will be sold.

First run proto type Stainless steel t-top section

First off sorry for the delay.:redface:

Here is a pic of 3 units together NOS GM,Stainless new unit & an average N.C 120K mile Unit from a Trans am.

One thing we noticed different compared to a Gbody unit. F bodies have pop rivots exactly in the same place on the ridge cap. On a Gbody they are in different locations & look like they were assembled by hand. The F body top cap has elongated holes to slide back & forth. Not up & down. We were wondering if it would be easier just to weld these in place or have the customer pop rivot them in themselves to the lower main section to give the best fit to the vehicle?

One other thing I was pondering would it be worth while just to sell the top cap by itself? In other words your center section doesn't have rust but the aluminum top cap is dinged from some one hitting it while installing a t-top.The old aluminum piece could be removed & a new one installed? This also seems to help on the Gbodies to hold the tops down tighter. Less flex.

Also on the flip side Maybe selling the replacement lower half for a reduced priced & then you could re-install your original cap?:confused:

When I state cap I mean the part you see when the T-top are installed. The black thin strip that holds them in place.

Feed back please.:cool:

Attachments

• EricsPix863.jpg
    EricsPix863.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 388
First off sorry for the delay.:redface:

Here is a pic of 3 units together NOS GM,Stainless new unit & an average N.C 120K mile Unit from a Trans am.

One thing we noticed different compared to a Gbody unit. F bodies have pop rivots exactly in the same place on the ridge cap. On a Gbody they are in different locations & look like they were assembled by hand. The F body top cap has elongated holes to slide back & forth. Not up & down. We were wondering if it would be easier just to weld these in place or have the customer pop rivot them in themselves to the lower main section to give the best fit to the vehicle?

One other thing I was pondering would it be worth while just to sell the top cap by itself? In other words your center section doesn't have rust but the aluminum top cap is dinged from some one hitting it while installing a t-top.The old aluminum piece could be removed & a new one installed? This also seems to help on the Gbodies to hold the tops down tighter. Less flex.

Also on the flip side Maybe selling the replacement lower half for a reduced priced & then you could re-install your original cap?:confused:

When I state cap I mean the part you see when the T-top are installed. The black thin strip that holds them in place.

Feed back please.:cool:

Brian,

I would definitely be interested in the top strip. Mine has a bunch of small dings in it, the rest is in very good shape and I don't think I would bother removing it if I didn't have to. I was going to sand it down, fill in the dings and repaint but it there is a better option I'm interested.

Thanks for your effort,
Scott
Scott

Brian,

I would definitely be interested in the top strip. Mine has a bunch of small dings in it, the rest is in very good shape and I don't think I would bother removing it if I didn't have to. I was going to sand it down, fill in the dings and repaint but it there is a better option I'm interested.

Thanks for your effort,
Scott
Scott

Scott I'll go back & speak with my manufacturer to get pricing. Thanks For the feed back that is what I was looking for.

sounds like a good idea to me id def buy one especially since my clean shell hunt seems to be coming up dry...how much are they selling for i didnt even know that section was removable...

sounds like a good idea to me id def buy one especially since my clean shell hunt seems to be coming up dry...how much are they selling for i didnt even know that section was removable...

I spoke with my manufacturer on the center section & then my powder coater. Looks like we can do the caps for $75.00 each.

Sorry for the delay in the response seems like we have been working some crazy hours lately.
May be easier to e-mail me on these.
Bweavy@aol.com Just put TTA t-top cap in the e-mail subject.

SS T-Top center sections

So, we're talking about the center support for the T-Top glasses ? So, how would they be installed - weld these pieces into the roof metal front & back ? I'm not a welder, but wouldn't we have a steel-to-stainless weld here ? I hear U have to know what Ur doing to weld SS to steel, like U need a special welding rod, watch the welding heat, etc. ?

I'm in CA, so perhaps I don't need it, but I'm willing to stockpile anything for the future.

I spoke with my manufacturer on the center section & then my powder coater. Looks like we can do the caps for $75.00 each.

Sorry for the delay in the response seems like we have been working some crazy hours lately.
May be easier to e-mail me on these.
Bweavy@aol.com Just put TTA t-top cap in the e-mail subject.

Do you have any pictures of just the "cap" and is $75 with or with out powder coating?

So, we're talking about the center support for the T-Top glasses ? So, how would they be installed - weld these pieces into the roof metal front & back ? I'm not a welder, but wouldn't we have a steel-to-stainless weld here ? I hear U have to know what Ur doing to weld SS to steel, like U need a special welding rod, watch the welding heat, etc. ?

I'm in CA, so perhaps I don't need it, but I'm willing to stockpile anything for the future.

The assembly bolts in. But the complete assembly is expensive. Just phillips screws and weather stripping holds it in place.

He's offering a partial assembly for sale. as an option to reduce costs.

Be amazed how many have rust there due to drainange issues. As there is no drain, stuff collects and rots them out. You can have a zero rust car.. and find that strip with issue. I saw a 5K mile car with a rusty strip.. car never driven in rain.

yep - bought my car and took it right to my body shop guy fix a ding in a rear quarter panel and to replace that whole center section. mine was rotted out.

as already posted in here - i'm sure any 3rd gen car out there could use one of these unless it's already be replaced lately...

Most of our suppliers carry Head liners, visors,Seat material kits, etc for interiors.

I will buy one, maybe 2,

HTH!