You can type here any text you want

Started off as a stock rebuild BUT....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

JKGeorge1116

I initially set out to fix the head gasket, eventually that turned into a stock motor rebuild,and since i was pulling the motor i decided to rebuild the slipping tranny but ended up coming across a stage 2 tranny from extreme auto. from there my buddy who is doing is the one rebuilding the motor, suggested that i might as well get some forged pistons...

So now i figured id just build the bottom end once so i wont have to go in again. I would like to try to build my bottom end capable of 10s and then slowly work on getting parts for the top end. I already have alky, a walbaro fuel pump n hotwire kit. I was thinking of getting forged speed pro pistons, and hydraulic roller cam? need suggestions about the cam, an rjc girdle, rjc powerplate, main studs, head studs, billet caps on the center mains. its gonna be my daily driver so i was thinking 2200 stall. is that a good combo? any suggestions on anything else or anything different?

Also a few people suggested that balancing would be a good precaution in the longterm... I live in tampa fl and was wondering where would be a machine shop in the area that would be able to do it and also what does something like that run?

Go George Go

Go George Go
Go George Go
Go George Go
Go George Go

Seriously though, if your going to put in billet caps you might as well do them all. I would also go higher on the stall. 2200 isn't much better than stock. I went with a 2800 and didn't notice much of a difference, tried a 3500 - it was too much, settled with a 3200. It will allow you to go with a larger turbo and cam. You might also want to consider big injectors.

What is a stock rebuild:confused: Just kidding.That is how I started my rebuild.I went from Trw to J&E,Then I swapped out the Erson flat tappet for a Comp billit roller and the list goes on.Just remember speed costs money.How fast do you want to go.

I started out with a stock rebuild, too. Here is how it turned out.;) :

Attachments

• Copy%20of%20sectioned%20buick%20head%208445%20037.jpg
    Copy%20of%20sectioned%20buick%20head%208445%20037.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 723
  • Copy%20of%20sectioned%20buick%20head%208445%20046[1].jpg
    Copy%20of%20sectioned%20buick%20head%208445%20046[1].jpg
    90 KB · Views: 720
I'm looking to build the motor up so eventually when i can upgrade the turbo and everything else, I would be able to to run mid to maybe even low 10s someday. i just don't wanna have to rip everything apart again apart when i do decide to upgrade.

what size cam should i run with a 2800 stall? or a 3200 stall? and any recommendations as far as what kind of cam?

I'm looking to build the motor up so eventually when i can upgrade the turbo and everything else, I would be able to to run mid to maybe even low 10s someday. i just don't wanna have to rip everything apart again apart when i do decide to upgrade.

what size cam should i run with a 2800 stall? or a 3200 stall? and any recommendations as far as what kind of cam?

Thats all I can say is talk to one of the vendors on this site or at least some one that builds a lot of Buick engines.Depending where you are located will determine who you going to talk to.From what I have heard and read about Dan from DLS. That would the guy to talk to.I will be talking to him when the time is right and the accounts aren,t depleted:( .Good luck.Oh yeah I almost forgot to mention the second job your going to need. These engines are not cheap.

Roller Comp Cam 212/212....

Stall=3200=More room to grow. If you are building a motor like this, my suggestion would be GT67 Turbo. @least 72lb injectors. PTC Converter, Art Carr, etc etc etc...

Ported Heads of course, and Ported Intake to match.

ARP Studs all the way through the block. Billet Mains. If you can afford it, A Forged Crank..Poke around on this site, saw a few Forged Cranks for about 450-600 dollar range.

Sounds like you are building a 10sec ride....The combo I listed above is the one I am currently building.

Its funny how rebuilds begin to take own a life of their own. Mine was more economical than anything.......

Found a great deal on a Comp Cams roller camshaft.

Found an unbelievable deal on some ported heads

Found a stupid deal on forged pistons, rods, intake and hemco plenum..

Excellent deal on 72lb Injectors and a Forged Crank.

Once I added it all up, my "Stock" rebuild that was started initially has turned into a complete and total monster....

I dont see any need to do both billet mains and a girdle. I would save the money on one and put it elsewhere. Definately need it balanced and if you go caps or girdle you'll need it line honed, thats a must. Ive heard good things about both, I put the RJC girdle on my block and its a nice piece. I just think one will take you deep into the tens with no problem.

Ok Im the motor is coming out of the car this weekend and should be going to the machine shop by next week so im getting ready to order parts. this is what i have so far, mostly through full throttle speed

ARP Head Studs, Main Studs and Rod Bolts, Stage 2 Extreme Auto Tranny, Acufab regulator, RJC powerplate and RJC Girdle with cam scraper.

I was just hoping for some advice as far as the cam and also where to get the pistons and rings.

Now i saw that full throttle has a Buick V6 Revolution X Roller Cam Kit for about 800 bucks which includes:

-Austemper camshaft - 210/215 .516/.516 110 L/S
Hot street, Most popular unit good manners and power 3000+stall
-DLS adjustable cam stop for proper preload adjustment
-Comp Roller lifters
-Chrome Moly .080 wall pushrods for iron heads
-PAC state of the art Beehive springs set (best spring available)
-Comp Retainers and +.050 locks for proper install.

now im trying to build a daily driver that i can take to the track on the weekends. my question is would it be better to go with this kit or buy the 212/212 hyd roller cam and everything else separately?

Also i am looking for a set of Speed Pro Forged pistons. I was looking for something .20 or .30, any suggestions where to get a good deal on them? same for the rings.

Mine started the same but so far I'm up to 6.65 carillos, 204-214 cam, 4.1 block and the list goes on. Planning on JE pistons, headers, and a bigger turbo and down pipe.

Ok Im the motor is coming out of the car this weekend and should be going to the machine shop by next week so im getting ready to order parts. this is what i have so far, mostly through full throttle speed

ARP Head Studs, Main Studs and Rod Bolts, Stage 2 Extreme Auto Tranny, Acufab regulator, RJC powerplate and RJC Girdle with cam scraper.

I was just hoping for some advice as far as the cam and also where to get the pistons and rings.

Now i saw that full throttle has a Buick V6 Revolution X Roller Cam Kit for about 800 bucks which includes:

-Austemper camshaft - 210/215 .516/.516 110 L/S
Hot street, Most popular unit good manners and power 3000+stall
-DLS adjustable cam stop for proper preload adjustment
-Comp Roller lifters
-Chrome Moly .080 wall pushrods for iron heads
-PAC state of the art Beehive springs set (best spring available)
-Comp Retainers and +.050 locks for proper install.

now im trying to build a daily driver that i can take to the track on the weekends. my question is would it be better to go with this kit or buy the 212/212 hyd roller cam and everything else separately?

Also i am looking for a set of Speed Pro Forged pistons. I was looking for something .20 or .30, any suggestions where to get a good deal on them? same for the rings.

That full throttle kit is very nice, one stop shopping and you get it all at once. If I had the coin upfront I would go with that roller kit. The only reason I am doing/buying it separately is because I got a good deal on my camshaft.

The 212/212 is a nice cam but there won't be that much of a difference between the roller FTS sells..

Summit if I remember correctly has the best price on Speed Pros/TRW/Fed Mogul. However they only come in std or 030. Lots of people go for the JE's or a nice Diamond piston...a little bit more pricier but at least you can order a 020 piston...

I was getting ready to buy the Speed Pro Forged pistons off summit racing but they are saying its discontinued and they only have 3 left :( Does anyone know where else i can get a set from? or maybe a diff set of forged pistons in the same ball park price range?

I did see some probe forged pistons on ebay that do come in a .20 overbore. I have seen the name probe on the forumm before but was wondering how they were? Or is there any other kind that would be better in that price range?

i ended up getting wiseco .20 forged pistons and rings for 450. it seems like quite a few pple on the forums are running them

so much for a stock rebuild :p

ok soo far i have gotten,

-Revolution Cam kit from Full Throttle (210/215)
-RJC Girdle with crank scraper
-RJC Powerplate
-got a good deal on a rebuilt PT 51 (stock turbo ended up to be bleeding oil from exhaust side)
-Fuel pump from Cottons Performance
-Acufab adjustable fuel pump
-Wiesco forged pistons (.20)
-ARP hardware throughout
-Extreme Automatics Stage 2 tranny
- and i already have alky injection

-now im still looking for roller rockers which i found on full throttle for my stock heads for 480? this is the lowest i have seen so far but is there anyone else that has them cheaper?

also i need a torque converter and a timing set,
any suggestions as far as where to get a 2800 stall converter?
the car is going to be my daily driver so, i didn't want to get too crazy with the stall, but is 2800 adequate?

-will any roller timing kit do?

and also should i be looking into a high volume oil pump at this point?

Back