Stepping up to slicks this year. Need advise

You need S10 wheel cylinders, 2sets of the cheapest brake shoes from the parts store, install the long shoes. You might need to install the brass proportioning valve. Without major suspension work the transbrake is going to kill the radials. Slicks might hook better, but might not give the 60'. The sidewall will eat up power.

So you don't think slicks and 10psi off the tbrake will get me my 9.99 sooner the radials will leaving on the footbrake

A lot of tracks will require a driveshaft loop when running slicks. It is a good idea regardless but if you don't have one it could be a stumbling block in tech.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Ok guys. Track is in a few weeks. Ordering et street pros soon. And going to mess with my ebrake so Itll hold tight so I can try that. If that fails I'll use tbrake.

I use the mt drag radials 255/60/15 ...my suspension is stock boxed upper and lower control arms that have been boxed with new bushings. I also removed the extended pinion snubber someone had put on the car before I owned it. I recently installed a hr bar with no preload . I have air bags that I no longer use since the hr bar install.

I have been 1.43 60ft on a foot brake and the trans brake using the 2 step in the tr6. Set at 3100 .

This combo has put me into the 9's

Also I have found the smaller radials like 20-22 psi air pressure.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What was the difference in tire pressure between the two? Who made the slicks? Did you have the same amount of passes (wear) on each set of tires to be fair? What was the ambient temps for both sets of passes on the slicks vs. the radials? Track prep the same for both weekends?

Tell me how slicks have less traction than drag radials...

My opinion is all things being equal when the slick starts to wrinkle the sidewall it lessens the forward inertia of the car by not producing a forward motion.. The radial tires are far less susceptible to do that therefore it makes them a faster tire IMO plus bias ply tires are old technology. Kinda like turbos, If you buy something today just wait 3 months and something better will come out. I call it the "turbo of the month".. :)

Bottom line is if the track will take the launch, the radial will always be quicker...

Phoenix slicks with 13 psi in them. Have a total of 7 passes on them. The drag radials were fresh and were still performing the same after 500 street miles and sitting over the winter. Hoosier drag radials with 17psi in them. Both were run on wednesday street car night with little prep on 75 to 80* evenings.

Ok guys. Track is in a few weeks. Ordering et street pros soon. And going to mess with my ebrake so Itll hold tight so I can try that. If that fails I'll use tbrake.

That is the tire to have at the moment, I looked them up and they are a radial AND they weigh less than the regular drag radial. Those tires are purpose built so they have some extra "secrets" built into them I would imagine. That will be my next set of tires

Hmm...according to MT the ET Street Radial Pro is not for street use. What the hell kind of sense does it make to name a tire street, but then say not to use it on the street :confused:. - http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadialPro

That tire is "DOT" approved however M/T doesnt want you to drive it on the street. It is because the tire is a purpose built tire geared toward the 275 class racing. If you take a look at the tread would you want to get caught in the rain with them?? They would hydroplane with the lightest amount of moisture. They are the preferred "DOT street" tire on the market at the moment for the most traction. Also with slicks being bias ply they wont spin so to speak as they generally go into tire shake (grip, slip, grip, slip) which is terror on a ring gear & pinion and bad on trannies too, plus they will shake the filling out of your teeth as it rattles the dash in the car....

I just bought a set of these and I thought that's what yall were talking about. http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/strip.php?item=ETStreetRadial

Sent while curing depression with boost.

No... what you bought was this:
33lbs / 28 tall / section width 11 / tread width 9.5
et_street_radial_a.jpg

what we are discussing is this:
32lbs / 28.2 tall / section width 11.4 / tread width 9.8
et_street_radial_pro.jpg

Top one is street friendly, bottom one has better traction however not street friendly. According to the site they use the same rubber compound but as you can see there is more surface area with the pro series radial...

Ya, the top one is not real rain friendly. Got caught once is bad thunderstorm. Took a week for my ass to unpucker.

I Had a set of the ET Street Pro's and I really didn't like them very much. They seemed to get all "greasy' with any kind of burn out, short or long. I don't know, maybe I just couldn't find the sweet spot with them.
I went back to the ET Street Radial and traded the Pro's to Nick Micale for one thing or another. Can't 'member what it was.

They sure did look badass though...... :D