Stg2 street cam recommendation

Buickrat

I am interested in hearing what you guy's think a good solid roller grind for a 274 cubic Stg2 on the street. Suggestions?

Dave, the problem is finding a new core for a Stage II cam? :confused:

You can of course re-grind an existing cam, and probably in the 230-240 duration range will be fine on the street with Stage II heads.

There may be one or 2 local cams available.

I have a source for stg2 Billet cores so that will not be a problem, what are the specs on the X2?

I have a source for stg2 Billet cores so that will not be a problem, what are the specs on the X2?

X2(times 2) means I agree with above recomendations. 230-240 degees duration will be enough to support 1000 HP.

Allan G.

Thanks, if any body is interested in purchasing a new Stg2 cam with the lift, duration and Lobe Separation of your choice or in billet form let me know. I have just placed an order of three new billets and I can ad more to the order, the more I order the cheaper they become.

Are you offering to buy billet cores or ground billets? PM me a price on a core. I don't know what I need it ground to yet.

I'm not close to ordering a cam yet so I didn't know anything about cam cores being difficult to get. Mine will most likely be ground by Comp. Has anyone confirmed they don't have cores?

Do you have a price in Mind ? I been tossing the idea of a new grind and know exactly what I want. Please give me some details, I'm interested. Who's doing the grinding ?

sent pm. may be interested in a core or cam, depending on price and who is doing the work.

I will have price tomorrow. I am having these cams made from 8620 round stock on a CNC machine. The Stg2 cores are hard to come by and when you do find one it is most likely ground on 104-106 LS. I am having this set up on 114 LS with the ability to make them with 220-240 degrees duration with as much as .400 lobe lift. My first cam will be 230 @.050 with .375 Lobe lift ground on a 114 LS advance 4 degrees. This cam will cost $550.00 the next two cams will be rough billiets to put on the shelf for a later day and they should cost less. If I get two or three more guys who want to order a complete cam or rough billets that any one can grind later then the price of the cams will come down, I will get the break down tomorrow.

I am interested in a core or a copy of the cam you are having made.
I can paypal the money.

Regards,
Juan

If Tim Cole is [still] a member of the Comp Cam team, the cam
you are looking for has been available for a good period of time.

S2 in a mild/proper state of tune will be in the 1000 HP ball park.
Design #308-5 312-5 R.5 (.420/.420 lift)
Lift @ .020 (308 312)

enjoy

I called comp today to ask about cores and they forwarded me to Tim Cole's voicemail. Sounds like they have cores, but I wonder how big they can go?

My post #12 was in reference to the OP.

As for how big (?) ... what are you doing,, i thought this concerned a street car.

My post #12 was in reference to the OP.

As for how big (?) ... what are you doing,, i thought this concerned a street car.

I was answering your question as to whether or not Tim Cole is still with Comp. I dont know him, but coincidentally I was pointed towards him when I called today. The OP is building a street car, but he offered to get cam cores for everyone.

I'm building an x275/ ultimate street/ TSO car. 272" stage 2 headed motor. I'm not sure what I'm looking at for cam specs yet. That cam may work. What's the Lobe separation?

I have no input for your situation.. sorry.

My biggest concern has always been with (safely) finding the end of the strip.
My budget only allows for spectating @ the TSO events.

Social Security creates its' own "how big you can go" limits.

Have fun..

This is my wild ass guess to your question.. (i'm doing the math btw).

111/99.5

Don't quote me and PLEASE ask Tim on my [estimated] separation #'s.
My math is rusty at best.

I will have price tomorrow. I am having these cams made from 8620 round stock on a CNC machine. The Stg2 cores are hard to come by and when you do find one it is most likely ground on 104-106 LS. I am having this set up on 114 LS with the ability to make them with 220-240 degrees duration with as much as .400 lobe lift. My first cam will be 230 @.050 with .375 Lobe lift ground on a 114 LS advance 4 degrees. This cam will cost $550.00 the next two cams will be rough billiets to put on the shelf for a later day and they should cost less. If I get two or three more guys who want to order a complete cam or rough billets that any one can grind later then the price of the cams will come down, I will get the break down tomorrow.

I'm a little confused with what you are doing with the cores. From what little I know, blank cores have round stock about the same diameter as the bearing journals and the lift is determined by how small you make the base circle.It almost sounds as if you are roughing the lobes on the cores ?? Why do this ?? Now you can only use this with either stage 2 heads or production valve lay-out. I'm assuming this is for stage 2 heads and even fire ?

I'm interested but want to go more than .400 lobe lift. I don't want to comprimise the size of the base circle so the peak of the lobe would need to be near the bearing journal dia. for maximum strength.

Allan G.

We can have cores made to handle more lift and more duration, I am building a 10 sec street car so I do not need to go that big. If we get a couple of guys interested in the larger profiles we can get a couple of those made as well.]Juan89 I will be happy have another cam ground such as the one I am having made I will get you a price by next Wednesday. As far as Stg2 Cores go I have been having a hard time locating them and when I do find one they are ground on a 104-106 LS. Depending on the lift and duration the best you can possibly achieve is 108-112 LS. I want to have mine set up on 114 and to do that with whats out there means you will be cutting into the base circle pretty deep. Turbo Bitt these cams are for a Stg2 even fire only and you are right I am having them roughed in and I am sure we can also have billets done with out roughing them in. The schedule date for completion of the cams being made, including any one interested in having one made is December 1. Anyone interested in one please PM me and let me know if you are interested in a billet, rough billet or a finished camshaft.

We can have cores made to handle more lift and more duration, I am building a 10 sec street car so I do not need to go that big. If we get a couple of guys interested in the larger profiles we can get a couple of those made as well.]Juan89 I will be happy have another cam ground such as the one I am having made I will get you a price by next Wednesday. As far as Stg2 Cores go I have been having a hard time locating them and when I do find one they are ground on a 104-106 LS. Depending on the lift and duration the best you can possibly achieve is 108-112 LS. I want to have mine set up on 114 and to do that with whats out there means you will be cutting into the base circle pretty deep. Turbo Bitt these cams are for a Stg2 even fire only and you are right I am having them roughed in and I am sure we can also have billets done with out roughing them in. The schedule date for completion of the cams being made, including any one interested in having one made is December 1. Anyone interested in one please PM me and let me know if you are interested in a billet, rough billet or a finished camshaft.

Thanks for the info.

Why don;t you model your cam specs to something in this build, seems to work well on a v8?
Nelson Racing Engines Small Block Chevy - Hot Rod Magazine

am & Spring Specs

Comp Cams lobe numbers: 4873S/4873S
Duration at 0.050 tappet lift: 236/236
Lobe lift: 0.377/0.377 inch
Observed lift: 0.600/0.600 with 1.65:1 rockers and 0.022-inch lash
Lobe separation angle: 115 degrees
Valvespring diameter: 1.550 inches
Valvespring installed height: 1.860 inches
Spring pressures: 175 lbs on the seat, 420 lbs open