Still pulling a ton of oil through the pcv!!

Couldn't edit my last post sooo...

Check to see if the valve stem seals are riding up on the stem of the valves. This will cause boost pressure to travel up the valve stem and put crankcase pressure in the engine which, in turn, will cause you to have excessive blow-by under boost only. And on top of that, the car may smoke at an idle due to valve stem seals not sealing.

Well, the car has never smoked....other than black. If it has, it was small enough that I didn't catch it.

I just backed off the lifters today and will do a leak down monday night...if I can. Still waiting for some parts and pieces. I'll post those results as soon as I get them. Otherwise, the heads looked pretty clean. Hopefully the pressure will expose any bad guides too.

I plan on putting 25psi to manifold, so it should expose whatever I have (if anything) since I don't hit more than 23-24 lbs anyway. Keeping my fingers crossed :)

thanks

...another quick thought...would an electric vac pump for the case help with this??? If so, what kit has worked for our cars?

...and I'm still waiting to do the leak down :mad:

Was thinking about all the ways a crankcase can get pressurized under boost conditions...

Head gasket not sealing, intake gasket not sealing, PCV valve not closing under boost, rings not sealing tight, valve stem seals not sealing tight, turbocharger seals not sealing and if a piston has a crack. If everything else is ok one of those things is causing it.

I would think the vacuum pump is just a patch on a street driven car.

I am running into the same thing. The throttlebody isjust full of oil from the pcv. I have the check valve in there and the valley pan gasket also. I am thinking about using a fuel lifter in-line stuffed with the filter removed and put a sponge inside instead? :confused:

There are two parameters that matter, when you're talking about crankcase fumes. One is pressure, and the other is volume. If the crankcase is completely sealed, a small amount of blowby or other leakage will pressurize the crankcase, and cause oil leaks. In this case, the small amount of flow that the PCV allows will solve the problem. If there is big time leakage, by the rings, or elsewhere, breathers will let the gasses out of the crankcase. If the flow is more than the holes in the valve covers will allow, then you should fix the leak, and not try to use a pump or some other form of band-aid. Just think how big the vacuum pump would have to be in order to flow more than will pass through two valve cover breathers. HUMONGOUS!!

Ormand said:
... If the flow is more than the holes in the valve covers will allow, then you should fix the leak, and not try to use a pump or some other form of band-aid. Just think how big the vacuum pump would have to be in order to flow more than will pass through two valve cover breathers. HUMONGOUS!!

Good point...I'll spend some extra time with the leak down test and see if I can dig up some problematic areas. Should I pressurize the cylinder as well...and if so, how much psi?