stock gn vs civic with nos?

87gnstock

Bigger isn't better!
IN a drag race could i beat a civic ex with minor mods exhaust,intake etc, the only major one is nos. Could i still beat him?

Well you left out some key information..How big is the shot of nitrous, what are your mods/times, etc
Tell us this and I think we could give ya a better idea

Don't be surprised if you get beat. I bought my GN with only 3000 miles on a fresh rebuild, ported and polished heads, art carr tranny etc, but it had no performance mods, down to stock filter. I took it to the track and it ran a whopping 16 second 1/4 mile time at around 92 mph. I went up there a month later with simple cheap/free mods and had it tuned properly and was clicking off 13.8s at around 100.

Point is, a good running civic with nitrous will whip up on a sick GN. My GN felt fast until I took it to the track and saw how slow it was.

I blocked off the throttle body coolant lines.
Made an adjustable wastgate actuator for $5.
Put in some Xylene.
Turned the boost up to 18 lbs.
Unhooked the exhaust - Right behind the cat converter, where it bolts up to the catback, I took out the 4 bolts and put the top two holes on the catback to the bottom 2 holes on the converter making it the poor mans dump tube. Be carefull!!! My stock exhaust was so restrictive that the car leaned way out. I had to turn up the fuel pressure 4 lbs.
Put on a K&N

One of the first mods I did was buy a scanmaster so I didn't blow the car up. 3 years later with the same motor I'm hoping to run high 10s.

You got to be kidding

87gnstock,

If your GN is in a good state of tune you will kick his one legged, maybe 200hp(with the nitro) "sicvic" butt. Just take him on from a dead stop, build about 4lbs of boost and smoke him. He will not be able to hit the nitro untill 2nd or 3rd gear, by that time you'll be far ahead and he won't catch you. Just be carefull if you talking about a top end race, our cars are like brick wall. ;)
My car has a upgraded fuel pump(hot wired) 36lbs injectors, adj. fuel pressure regulator, Jay Carter 93 chip and a cat back exh and I ran a 13.86@94 mph the last time I was at the track with my transmission slipping.

Civic EX LOL. That's a 17 second car. With nitrous, intake, exhaust, and header it would be lucky to make a solid low 15 second pass.

I agree with Cool 84. I ran against a ricer (acura, I think) with a Vtec and 75 shot. He was maybe in the 14's... So, your basic Civic would be lucky to break 14's w/nos. Remember how slow those things are stock, they run like 17's and worse, depending on how many seats they take out. :cool:

Just make sure you bring your bottle of Kikoman Soy Sauce with you, so you can add some flavor to your rice dinner.

:)

you should smoke him. a friend of mine has a civic hatch back with a SOHC beater motor and a 125 shot. he runs low 14's with the nitro, header, intake, and exaust.

Re: You got to be kidding

Originally posted by mygn86
87gnstock,

My car has a upgraded fuel pump(hot wired) 36lbs injectors, adj. fuel pressure regulator, Jay Carter 93 chip and a cat back exh and I ran a 13.86@94 mph the last time I was at the track with my transmission slipping.

:eek:

DUDE! Get that tranny fixed! 13.86 @ 94mph??? ET should be 14.7 w/ that MPH!!! If you haven't fried your clutches too bad, you might get away with upgrading the press reg vlv & spring for higher line pressures! What was the 60ft?

87gnstock,
Get yourself over to www.gnttype.org and start educating yourself - you need to know how to keep your car running reliably - don't worry how fast it is right now. Unless you got deep pockets and lots of time to turn wrenches, you don't want to break parts as you go, besides being a waste of parts. With a little patience you will be smoking that Honduh for less money that you can spend on the honeys:D

I just raced a Honda with the same mods and my car is stock. The only thing I have done so far is the free mods, K&N cone filter system, and gutted the cat. I ran a 14.08 last Friday and that was on ****ty radials and I was nervous as **** because it was my first race ever. I raced a Honda with the same mods you described and DESTROYED him off the line. I had atleast 5 cars at 60 miles an hour. We did race from a 60 mph role and I struggled against him. Stock GN's are not to good top end. RED'S HOT AIR PLEASE CALL ME I HAVE ALL THESE PARTS AND I NEED YOUR HELP. I know this seems like I am yelling but RED and I are pretty good buddies now and he is so good with these cars.
Stixx

Yeah, like it's already been pointed out: Civic + nitrous = 15 second ride.

Reply to Stixx 11:

Your telling me that from 60 you had a hard time destroying a Honda Civic? Man you need to get to the garage fast.... I've got a 87 GN with the following: walbro 340, hotwire, K&N, 160 therm., TB cooling lines blocked, adjustable WG set @ 16 lbs - zero knock, plus the other free upgrades. I would destroy him from 60, no question in my mind. He wouldn't catch me until my computer shut down @ 120.. How many miles are on your car? You should be able to walk him bad from 60 - 100, if not you have some tuning/fixing to do..

do a search on this board about xylene and on the net about xylene.

Xylene is a paint thinner. It is 118 octane, and is the main chemical in most of the over the counter octane boosters/cleaners. Mix 1 gallon of xylene to 2 gallons of 93 and you get about 100 octane gas. This allows you to run 18-19 lbs of boost vs. 15-16 that you normally run on 93 octane.

Most Xylene that you can get in a store is 117 octane. Also you must use some type of lubricant with it such as Marvels Mystry Oil. Gasoline has lubricants added Xylene has none. I have found here locally where the MAB paint stores run a special on it in June. 19.95 for a 5 gallon can! The price of Xylene varies greatly with the price of gas. I have seen it when they wanted $45 for a 5 gallon can. I normally run 94 octane Sunoco. I usually put a couple ounces of Marvels Mystry Oil in the Xylene can then add the whole 5 gal can at the Sunoco station after which I immediately fill the tank with gas to come up with a 100 octane mix. With the stock turbo / intercooler and a street 93 octane chip car has run several 12.70/90s at 106/7 mph at the track at about 20/21 lbs of boost. Xylene won't coat your sparkplugs ruin your 02 sensor or coat your cat like leaded race fuel or nearly worthless store bought octane boosters. It might not be as good as straight race fuel but it has its advantages which may include price and availability.

Originally posted by BLACK6PACK
Don't be surprised if you get beat. I bought my GN with only 3000 miles on a fresh rebuild, ported and polished heads, art carr tranny etc, but it had no performance mods, down to stock filter. I took it to the track and it ran a whopping 16 second 1/4 mile time at around 92 mph. I went up there a month later with simple cheap/free mods and had it tuned properly and was clicking off 13.8s at around 100.

Point is, a good running civic with nitrous will whip up on a sick GN. My GN felt fast until I took it to the track and saw how slow it was.

the same thing happened to me last night...only i DID lose to a civic with a 200 shot of nos!!! my car is running so sick right now and it's all my fault...

A Civic with a 200 shot? Just how was he supplying enough fuel to keep the heads/rods from melting down? Just for grins, lets say the Civic could draw a 200 shot for one 1/4 run without exploding, that would put the civic somewhere in the 13 second range, your telling me your GN won't turn a high 12 low 13 second run? My guess is to withstand a 200 shot, that Civic would have 10K in the motor alone, just my best guess..

you are forgetting i gave him a 5 car lead to begin with...he barely inched me out but i would have whopped his ass if it was even from the start man...yeah my car is capable of 12's i just gotta get the damn thing tuned...