You can type here any text you want

Stock intake porting worth the trouble??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

84GNPILE

Has anyone ported their stock intake??? If so, did you get any power gains out of it? I couldn't find any other posts about it so I'm thinking there may not be anything to gain by it but since I have my valve covers,turbo,and TB off, I wanted to ask around before I put it back together.

Definately worth porting it. Porting will give you a noticable seat of the pants difference. I did porting first and later gutted it. By far, the biggest difference was from the porting. You lose no low end, it actually feels like you gain power throughout the entire band.

port everything....heads, intake, throttlebody, intake/ turbo adapter...the bigger the ports, the bigger the HP'S!

John

hey guys i couldnt find a better post to put this mesaage im trying to get ahold of mease i want to know if u still have any 3 inch DPs wit the dump available if so please let me know total price wit shipping thanx

what do u mean wait? like how long we talking lol i just wanna ask keith if he has any to send out already

He made a small batch of those pipes and last I heard there was 1 left. THat was a good month ago. You'd be lucky to find it is not sold yet. He has no intentions of making anymore either, that is unless there is a demand again. I wish I had the $$ for one, they are your top choice for a DP on a hotair, hands down. Try calling his shop, the number is on his site.

When porting the hot air intakes, has anyone messed with the EGR? Is it worth it to eliminate it like on the intercooled intake? It does not look very intrusive and may not be an issue on the hot air manifold.;)

Originally posted by Bryan C.
When porting the hot air intakes, has anyone messed with the EGR? Is it worth it to eliminate it like on the intercooled intake? It does not look very intrusive and may not be an issue on the hot air manifold.;)

I removed the EGR floor so the air has a much wider path and doesn't have to turn as sharp. EGR is still functional though. I can't see any advantage to plugging it. Mine is disabled by pulling the vacuum line to the EGR valve that way I can still plug it in when smog time comes around.

my maxeffort chip doesn't use the egr so i removed all of it.my friend made me an aluminum blankoff plate for the intake.you'd be amazed at how much removing all that crap unclutters the drivers side of the intake.

i also tapped the inside of the egr tube hole to 3/8" npt and ran a hose barb into it for my pcv.i use the 87 style with the check valve in it cuz it sees boost now.

:cool:

hey guys i was just stroolin throught the basic hot air info and i came upon that vacuum hose routing wit single wastegate line and the one for double wastegate line what is the difference? shouldnt we all have that the same one ? what is the difference? or y is there 2 ways or havig to route it?:confused:

It's probably there for the guys that go with the 87 style TA turbos. An 87 wastegate uses one hose.

Originally posted by WFO
my maxeffort chip doesn't use the egr so i removed all of it.my friend made me an aluminum blankoff plate for the intake.you'd be amazed at how much removing all that crap unclutters the drivers side of the intake.

i also tapped the inside of the egr tube hole to 3/8" npt and ran a hose barb into it for my pcv.i use the 87 style with the check valve in it cuz it sees boost now.

:cool:

I hate the cluttered look. Swapping the valve on and off every two years isn't that big of a deal. Where can I get a block off plate?

hell,you could make one yourself in about a half hour with a drill a grinder and a piece of 1/4" flat bar...

i'm not sure how it would work out trying to swap it on and off...you're gettng rid of a bunch of crap,the valve itself,that big cast iron adapter thing that goes between the valve and the intake and that bigass corrugated tube assy that goes from the adapter thing to the back of the intake.

i suppose you could tap the hole like i did for my pcv valve and just run a pipe plug in instead.i don't think you're gonna find a plug for that big of an inverted flare fitting.i worked at a hydraulic fab shop for 4 years and never saw one...

Cool 84, You said you removed the entire EGR hump in the intake manifold? I know a lot of people round/smooth the hump, but can you remove the hump entirely and have no ill effects? even if you leave the EGR installed?

I am working on my intake right now, and thought i would just round the hump, but if i can remove the whole hump with better results i'll do that instead...

Thanks,
Nathyn

Back