You can type here any text you want

Stock main/rod bolts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
fyi the rad doesn't need to come out to pull the motor and not even for a cam swap
and doing a rad replacement requires removing nothing from the motor, all that gets removed is the rad top plate , rad hoses at the radiator , trans and oil cooler lines

I don't understand why so many people are trying to talk me out of pulling the motor? I'm helping and not getting charged much, regardless of time taken, and I just want to clean everything up. Maybe I'll spare a scratch or two as well...

You car, pull it if you feel like it. Hell, I have pulled a motor out for the sole reason of cleaning and repainting because I didn't like the color. I don't see a problem with what you are doing, but a lot of folks will try to save you the heartache, trouble and extra cost IF NOT ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY. Opinions are opinions brother, take what you want and leave the rest. Do what you need to or feel like doing!

Get some of Caspers wiring harness tape and re-wrap your harness while you have the motor out.

R&R in 1/2 a day???? That guys GOOD!!! Hell MUCH better than me. Pulling the engine is a great way to detail everything for sure. Have fun. If it's out, check the rod and mains, pull the timing cover and replace the factory chain if not already done. Port the timing cover, set the oil pump thrust clearance to .0005-.0015" (half a thou. to one and a half thou.) Clean the oil pump pick-up screen. If you're into it that much, pull the heads and have them ported, port the intake and slide a hydraulic roller cam into it. THAT would make it worth the effort. And BOY would it be FUN to drive.:biggrin

If you're gonna tear into it, just as well do it all and be done with it. I was gonna pull my heads off and have them done but found that they already were-one less thing to do:cool: Hell why not take it a step further and put a 4.1 in it.

I don't understand why so many people are trying to talk me out of pulling the motor? I'm helping and not getting charged much, regardless of time taken, and I just want to clean everything up. Maybe I'll spare a scratch or two as well...

I pulled my motor and it snow balled bad, I hope it doesnt happen to you. Another vote for leaving it in and just put new valve springs in. My motor has been on the stand now for a year un touched do to alot of things comming up and me saying "well I might as well" and check all the bearings. Then you might as well get the crank checked. Then you might as well put new head gaskets on because the first run after you drop the motor a head gasket will give out.

Hope you have alot more luck then I do.

I think the info you are getting from people that know what their doing says it all.:DChange the valve springs in the car,simple.If the bearings really bother you,pull the pan and check 1 rod and 1 main furthest in the oiling system.;)Have a look put some oil on the bearing and retorque to factory specs.Put new oil pan gasket on and your done:rolleyes:Good luck

Kevin.

Back