Street racing results..

It will never end...

Until there is a huge increase in dragstrips built making it easier for everyone to go and race legally. Im on the Northwest side of Chicago and the closest track to me is about an hour and half away. Ive been saying for years that if someone could finance a decent track just West and a lil South from where I'm at it would be a goldmine. Theres just too many people at the track I mentioned on the weekends to have a good time. The other track in Byron is even worse, last time I was there they had over 300 cars. All day wait for 3 passes.:frown: . The area I mentioned is industrial (train terminals) so noise would not be an issue. The next house I buy will be closer to a track.

Agree with Brer we need more tracks. I live in New Orleans and you would think for a city this size there would be a local track but there isn't. I also have to drive an hour and a half to get to a track. Of course our politicians always have their hands out for payments so thats one of the reasons why we don't have a track.:rolleyes:

Did any of you actually read the story? It sounds like the guy who ran everyone over wasn't even involved.

Typical reaction from morons... you automatically assume it was street racers losing control.

Read the article, it was a lone car that came barreling out of nowhere with lights off that plowed into the crowd.

The media has a hard on for sensationalism.. if someone dies within 50 feet of a drag race from choking on a hot dog they will headline with "DRAG RACE TRAGEDY!"

How come I didn't see you guys get all worked up over the 480 murders that occurred in Los Angeles in 2006? Or the 30,526 VIOLENT crimes in L.A. that occurred in the same period?
How many street racing deaths occurred in the same time frame?

Maybe if we can tie those deaths and crimes into ILLEGAL DRAG RACING it might headline and get emotional folks like yourselves up in arms about it.

If the driver of that car wasnt involved with the race somehow, I'll be surprised. Why else would they be out there with their lights off?

That being said.. back when I was coming along, street racing was way different... and Im willing to bet I have more street races than anyone on this forum (Well, maybe not Leeper and those other old farts ;) ).. easily 750-1000 street races since I was 16. And I mean REAL street races, not taking off from a stoplight.. LOL!

You'd set the race up ahead of time, change the location a couple of times and finally show up with a max of 5 people. No one lining the roads watching, etc. You'd race, exchange money and leave.

I've seen my share of mishaps but nothing like this kind of carnage. One time I was going out to race this Mustang and the guy was behind me as we drove out to "the spot" and I look in the rear view mirror and the guy's lights just vanished. All of a sudden I see the lights literally falling out of the sky. I turned around, drove back and the guy had lost control of the car and flipping it, ending up about 50 yards out in the middle of a field. Everyone was okay.. wasn't much I could do so I drove him back into town and dropped him off at a payphone so he could call the cops.

Now it's like a damn circus. When I first moved to Florida and went out to the street races at the Gandy in St Pete.. I was floored. Hundreds of cars, people selling food, etc. And racing across a bridge with the ocean on both sides? WTF??!!

I'll stick to my backwoods redneck racing. It was way more profitable and way less circus.

hey.. you have never left a bar at 2AM and forgot to turn on your lights?? :p :biggrin:

LOL.. no.. course, I tend to think of street racing as something that happens off the beaten path so who knows.. these people might have been right down the street from a bar.

"How come I didn't see you guys get all worked up over the 480 murders that occurred in Los Angeles in 2006? Or the 30,526 VIOLENT crimes in L.A. that occurred in the same period?"

Could it be that most of those crimes were perpetrated by gangs and drug dealers??
Nah, not in a "garden of Eden, such as LA.
Sounds more like a "cleansing" of the gene pool, to me.

Bottom line on that tragedy.. If there hadn't been the morons racing, the groupies would not have been there.
Nuf said.

i happen to be very big into street racing and when done right with the right people involved and how its set up the only people taking a risk are the 2 that are racing....i never understood why people stand AFTER the starting line

That is a tragic story but what the hell are some people thinking? It was 3:40 AM and this 27-year old girl is standing out there with her child? :rolleyes: She should be charged with endangerment.

"How come I didn't see you guys get all worked up over the 480 murders that occurred in Los Angeles in 2006? Or the 30,526 VIOLENT crimes in L.A. that occurred in the same period?"

Could it be that most of those crimes were perpetrated by gangs and drug dealers??
Nah, not in a "garden of Eden, such as LA.
Sounds more like a "cleansing" of the gene pool, to me.

Bottom line on that tragedy.. If there hadn't been the morons racing, the groupies would not have been there.
Nuf said.

By that logic then you should be no more indignant about these people at the street races since they were willful participants and "morons" according to you.

I'm also surprised that you paint such a broad brush when it comes to crime and murder.. I'm sure all 30,000 victims of violent crime in L.A. deserved it. Next time you are the victim of crime, remember that, you deserved it.

If it weren't for street racing, drag racing would not exist. I don't know anyone that didn't get the bug to go to a drag race track without street racing first. This is why drag racing is going the way of the dodo bird. Give it another 40 years and drag racing is going to be about as popular as curling. The demise of the F body, horrible GTO sales, and an exploding market for cars that resemble and perform like rally cars should have been a clue. With emotional wrecks foaming at the mouth at townhall meetings about street racers, the police have done a lot to crush a scene which largely harms no one. Around here there is little hotrodding scene left.

Yes I read the story

Did any of you actually read the story? It sounds like the guy who ran everyone over wasn't even involved.

Which is why I wrote what I wrote. I never once thought that a racer hit anyone, the title of the story clears that up right away. My point was that if there were more tracks all the racers and all the friends of the racers will go to watch it legally. The big money races around here with the 9 second cars are always done at the track. Very rarely will a real fast car line up on the street. Of course U can die in a 12 second car just as easy as a 9 second car if the conditions are right, I was just bringing up a beef and solution.

I don't care if there are 5 tracks in your town, street racers will still street race. For one, not everyone wants to have the neccessary safety equipment to be legal, and for many the "rush" is a large part of the draw.

I'm suprised at the closed minded-ness here. Calling all street racers morons? Come on, grow up.

I don't care if there are 5 tracks in your town, street racers will still street race. For one, not everyone wants to have the neccessary safety equipment to be legal, and for many the "rush" is a large part of the draw.

I'm suprised at the closed minded-ness here. Calling all street racers morons? Come on, grow up.

I have to agree with Sam on this one. Just don't like all the tag alongs.

That is a tragic story but what the hell are some people thinking? It was 3:40 AM and this 27-year old girl is standing out there with her child? :rolleyes: She should be charged with endangerment.

Her FATHER was one of the victims!!! 61 yrs old. The latest rumor is that the white car with the lights off was law enforcement! Don't know if its true but white car with the lights off trailing street racers.........its possible. Not trying to flame you meanbuick just had to add her dad was there too. PS Also read in another thread that the passenger in the white car that was killed was actually a pedestrian that ate the windshield.:frown:

Nothing wrong with a street race done right in the right setting...were the only people at risk are those that are participating...unfortunantly street racing is no where near as "underground" as it use to be.

All i can say is back a few years ago, back when i was into street racing pretty heavily, I have trailered my mid 9 sec mustang from the south Texas boarders near Mexico and as far north as Dallas street racing for $$$, and i have seen all kinds of crazy stuff like this.. I am older now with kids and do my racing at the track now.. I look back now and can't believe some of the things i used to do back then...

Here is pic when i got busted right outside of San Antonio after a long night of street racing..

** the car is in the trailer...

Attachments

• p7.jpg
    p7.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 424
  • philwheelie.jpg
    philwheelie.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 420
  • TN_dually.JPG
    TN_dually.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 416