You can type here any text you want

street/strip chassis and suspension

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

freak007

Hello all, I have been a lurker here for some time, but now I have a question of my own... I have a '88 Cutlass... while I know it isn't a GTX, GN, a Buick or even powered by a turbo... But it is a G body and this forum seems to have some of the fastest street driven G bodies in the country... So I come here for chassis help...

First a little about my drive line, I am finishing up a 461 Olds, it has 10.5:1 compression, ported Edelbrock heads, Edelbrock Torker single plane intake, my cam is a flat tappet solid with 0.557/0.574 278°/286° advertised duration 244°/252° @.050 and a 110° lobe separation angle. With this setup I expect 530-550 Hp @ 5800-6000 RPM, plus I plan to hit it with a 150 shot of giggle juice (after I 'cage it). The power is running through a 2500-2800 custom converter (waiting on dyno sheet to figure out optimum stall speed) to a TH400 and a 8.5 with a New Richmond Lock Right, 30 Spline Moser axles, and 3.73 gears (most likely swapping to 3.42s but I want to try these first)... I am expecting mid 11s N/A, low-mid 10s on the bottle... the car will be 70% street driven, but will still see substantial track time...

I am trying to figure out what I need to do to my chassis/suspension in order to make it track worthy without sacrificing street capability... A roll bar/cage is not planned for this year (I know I am required to have one at 11.49). Here is what I was thinking-

Parts I already have:

UMI "lift bar" LCA
UMI adjustable UCA
UMI Poly rear end housing bushings
Koni adjustable shocks

Parts I am considering adding:

Aluminum body mounts
HR or Spohn anti roll bar
Fabricate a seat brace
Fabricate fender to core support and fender to firewall braces
Core support cross brace
F-41 Bars
Grand Prix bar

Is this going to be sufficient bracing to keep me from destroying stuff without a cage? Is there anything you would do different? What springs would work best for me?? Any thoughts, theories or suggestions are welcome...

So nobody knows what it takes (suspension wise) to make a consistant, but streetable 10 second G body??

Back