Street tires

djj624

Just wondering if there is any tricks to launching on street tires. I had slicks but they were to wide and rubbed the frame till the one was trash. So ill be going on streets next. Problem is once the car hits 20lbs of boost shes gonna just spin:mad: Any tips.

its all luck with street tires 0 boost launches. get yourself some mickey thompson street drag radials

Any non drag radial street tire is going to be a useless piece of crap. Look into MT or Hoosier DR's

Back in 2005 when my car was running bottom 10's. I ran 11.15 @ 125.6 with a 1.882 60' on 275/60 bfg radial ta's. This was on pump gas(no alky) and 19-20 psi boost, http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/169900-11-1-125-street-tune.htmlI had a ton of weight in the trunk. I think that's the key. Had to take my foot out of it on the top though. Car went into what i would describe as a speed woble. Its great to see guys playing with regular radials. Takes a little more skill, but be careful.

weight

i made a miss print on the sand it was 160#
me and the sand and car all is 3900# like to add another 80# to the trunk too. i'm looking for some 6.8's if i can. i'm getting ready for this toy for tots race the 22nd. i was hoping i can do some good. i've been spaying the tires with bleach 2 to 3 times a day to soften them up, its working tho.

about a month ago I went to the track only to find out my draglites/MTs didn't fit properly with the rear disc i installed. I had already paid to race and didn't want to waste the night. I ended up with a 12.001 at 119 or so on my 285 nitto 555 on 17x9.5s (non drag radial). My best 60 ft was a 2.18 but it was my 330s that told the story. I could walk it out to a 2.1 or so on every run, but it was after that when the spinning would commence lol.

there have been a few times ive gone to the track and was just too lazy to swap tires and ran on the streets , or had run on the stickies and then switched back to street tires and decided id make another pass anyway to see

on the 87 w/stock turbo that was good enough to get a 12.24 @ 109 w/1.80 60'

on the 86 with that 60' managed 11.24 @ 124

this was on 245 50 -16 federal steel radials, have had similar 60' on 255/60-15 cooper cobras

you have to leave easy and get into it after its rolling , i did have my other tires in the trunk for added traction. on cold nights like weve been having at etown lately the street tire wouldnt work at all

Ive used up to 200lbs ballast on the street combined with drag radials to be able to leave at 10psi and not spin.

street tire 60'

A few years back my dark blue 87 turbo t, ta49, 22psi, 009's, stretch i/c and temperatures approaching 100 degrees ran 1.80 60' and 7.75 1/8 mile times on general 215-65r15 factory size tires. No raging burnout, just a light hazing to get them to bite. That car just always ran straight and true from the time I got it. The previous owner spent a lot of weekends running it at Atco and Englishtown, and the chassis was well sorted out. I bought it right off this forum. It didn't hurt having my friend Scott driving it, he always knew how to get to the edge without going over, and if he did he would just let off because if you spin off the line, why waste your car for nothing.

i went a 7.72 this week end on 255 40 17 street tires(not drag radials)with my new cpt66 bb turbo on 15 or 16 lbs of boost nothing in the trunk with a 2 flat 60 taking off on 0 boost and letting it rip.i'm thinking of loading the trunk down putting my 14 inch qa1's springs in it to make it look like there is nothing in the trunk and putting it on kill.....i'm with windmill on this one people are suprised when you can go fast on real street tires.and not to change the buick subject theres a vid of a viper going 9's with the factory tires on youtube..

buddy of mine back in the early 90's had rigged a w/s washer pump to hose running to the back tires and would spray the tires with vht before street racing. worked pretty good until he didn't flush it out one year. no one knew about it until he burned out. pretty funny watching peoples faces that didn't know what vht smelled like trying to figure out the oder

went back to the track today put some good fuel in it and put ballast in the trunk and went slower 7.88 lol could'nt buy a good pass.back to the drawing board.............

Local track has a class called "Hoch's Street Radial". Looks like you will have to run 6.34 at 110 mph or better to take the checkered flag. A friend of mine was the big winner (he showed up every week even though he didn't always win). He ran a couple 7.1's in his 94 S-10 pick up with nitrous. You have to scroll down to the bottom.

COLES COUNTY DRAGWAY