You can type here any text you want

Stroker setup -Pros and Cons?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mzunino

Hey guys, I am considering going all out on a motor that will go 9's but looking for 10's. Strokers seem to be discussed alot for TSM cars, so hence my interest. Here are some questions:

Does this give or take away from streetablity or reliability?

Does the cost out weigh the benefit?

Will a street turbo TA49 or GT6265 work just as well with a stroker or will it affect spool up?

What kits are people running?

Sorry for all the questions just looking for a better understanding. Appeciate any feedback, thanks guys.

Strokers give you more cubic inches which makes more power and spools a turbo faster, don't seem to limit the rpms for a stock block (the block does that), are perfectly streetable, and for awhile when CAT was making an inexpensive forged stroker crank were very cost effective to build (only a few hundred $ more than a stock stroke). Now DLS is about the only source that I know of for cheaper cranks, and he is out of stock for now. That's for 3.625 stroke forged cranks. A $2500+ billet is always an option (can find used billet or bms forging for maybe $1000-1500), as is offset grinding a stock stroke forged crank to about 3.500 stroke and use chevy rods, but those options really raise the cost or don't give much increase in cubic inches. Personally, I think a stroker would be wasted with a ta49 size turbo and it wouldn't get you anywhere near a 9 or low 10 anyway.

Thanks ijames, I am looking for something very streetable but if I want to change out the convertor and turbo I want to know the rest of the motor can take whatever I throw at it:biggrin: I am trying to get the motor right the first time so I know it has a solid foundation. I am probably going to give Anderson Performance a call when the time is right. Do you think solid roller cams take from streetablility?

I dont know about stroking a 3.8 but i did build a mopar 440 stroked to 499.It was worth every penny i spent.It doesnt change the way it drives,it does allow you to use a bigger cam without the loss of driveabality.The heads need to flow more so an head upgrade is a must.The torque is awsome.However you will endup spending more money.If a stroker is in your budget i say go for it..

Just rebuild your motor with a GM crank & CRYO it for $75, K1 Rods, JE Pistons, roller cam & lifters, 2 main caps, RJC girdle, DBB 70 Turbo & matching converter, injectors etc & you have a 10 sec ride for less $$$. BUT no matter what you build DETONATION is what kills ANY Motor. Stroker is great for every ounce of HP for serious guys, but that means more than 5 track passes a year! ;)

Well, you have to keep checking the valve lash with a solid roller, and these aren't big rpm motors anyway, so I think a hydraulic roller is all you need. Talk to Bill Anderson.

Well, you have to keep checking the valve lash with a solid roller.

Why????? Please explain more.

I set my lash once or whenever I have to do something to the valve train. Otherwise, I set them and forget about them. There really is no reason that the lash should change unless something happened.

The problem with a solid roller is idling the motor for a long time. The rollers are lubricated by splash.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

The biggest advantage of a stroker is the increase of stroke is the equivalent of using a bigger lever to move a bolder. The increase in stroke increases the speed of the intake charge and the reduced height of the pistons increases speed of the rotating assembly which increases overall torque and HP. It's a good solution if you are looking for more power. The drawbacks are clearencing the block and fitment issues as well as cost.

I love the stroker upgrade, turned the car into a whole different animal. Lotsa fun at 9:1 compression and 24psi on the street. Just a TAD hard on tires though......:biggrin:

Why????? Please explain more.

I set my lash once or whenever I have to do something to the valve train. Otherwise, I set them and forget about them. There really is no reason that the lash should change unless something happened.

The problem with a solid roller is idling the motor for a long time. The rollers are lubricated by splash.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy, I didn't mean to make it sound like you had to check them every weekend. I just know that friends in the past with Chevy and Ford V8's who ran solid rollers on the street with an agressive profile and the stiff springs to go with them (at a guess .6-.7 lift and spinning them to 7500+), wound up checking them every couple of months and making adjustments maybe twice a year? These were street cars that got 5-10000 miles a year. I don't know where the wear was - rollers, lobes, pushrods, rockers, valves deforming, valve seats sinking, or what. My main point was that for a streetable 109 block build aimed at low 10's you shouldn't be turning much more than 6000 rpm, and for that you don't need a solid roller, the hydraulic roller will do just great.

A DLS stroker kit with 9:1 compression will take you into the 9's easy. Wonder how I know:confused:

Dan Strezo is a perfectionist. He has helped a ton with our combo.

Attachments

• HR_bar.jpg
    HR_bar.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 599
A DLS stroker kit with 9:1 compression will take you into the 9's easy. Wonder how I know:confused:

Dan Strezo is a perfectionist. He has helped a ton with our combo.

Sam's stroking it :rolleyes: :p

Seriously, this was a big debate in my build. I ended up going non stroker, hope the results work out.

Sam's stroking it :rolleyes: :p

Seriously, this was a big debate in my build. I ended up going non stroker, hope the results work out.

Good choice. This will allow you learn how to drive the car before you build a stroker.

when you are ready Don knows how to get a hold of Dan, but for those that do not.
Here you go:
DLS engine development
Dan Strezo
219 956 3653

Good choice. This will allow you learn how to drive the car before you build a stroker.

when you are ready Don knows how to get a hold of Dan, but for those that do not.
Here you go:
DLS engine development
Dan Strezo
219 956 3653

Kidding aside that was part of the decision, however there has been some extremely impressive numbers coming out of some non strokers. I just hope I can hold onto the new Cruz Missile!!! :D

BTW don't forget the fastest car doesn't always win the race ;)

My opinion is that if you want a street car go with stock stroke...... You can run low 10s with the right parts and not hurt the motor....If you want a race car stroke it.......And if you want to do anything at all with a motor...... do it right the first time and talk to the Cruz Missile builder. Nothing against the others out there ,but his work speaks for itself.... and trust me it talks reallllllllll LOUD...

WRAITH

I am very happy with my stroker motor.:biggrin: The extra cubic inches make it a different car! I have yet to see the true potential of it. Just ran a best of 9.56 with 22 psi.

pinkslaunch.jpg

Strokers arnt just for racecars,they make a huge improvement in driveabality.More torque down low means a more street freindly car if comparing the exactly the same build in both engines.The same results can be had without stroking an engine but it will be more radical and less street freindly.If its in your budget do it, and i am positive you wont regret it.

My opinion is that if you want a street car go with stock stroke...... You can run low 10s with the right parts and not hurt the motor....If you want a race car stroke it.......And if you want to do anything at all with a motor...... do it right the first time and talk to the Cruz Missile builder. Nothing against the others out there ,but his work speaks for itself.... and trust me it talks reallllllllll LOUD...

WRAITH

Just imagine what it might do with a larger turbo and a little diet :biggrin:

Kidding aside that was part of the decision, however there has been some extremely impressive numbers coming out of some non strokers. I just hope I can hold onto the new Cruz Missile!!! :D

BTW don't forget the fastest car doesn't always win the race ;)

Steve Hughes just went 150 on a stock stroke and Phil M has gone fast also with a stock stroke. Tim LeMay has been 9.5's and I have gone 9.6's. They just need a little more boost and rpm to do it:D You should have no issues making power with the help you are getting. I do know the stock stroke engines can take a major beating:cool:

Back