You can type here any text you want

stroker verses stock stroke

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blackgn1

Set on TSM Boost
Ok let's take a standard stroke motor verses a stroker motor. Everything else equal. Piston bore, cam, heads, same tune, ect. How much more hp are we going to see. I know there is a calulator somewhere but can't find it.

I would like to find that also because my motor is being built right now and if i catch them by tuesday i might be able to make it a stroker. Is it worth the money in power??

Ok let's take a standard stroke motor verses a stroker motor. Everything else equal. Piston bore, cam, heads, same tune, ect. How much more hp are we going to see. I know there is a calulator somewhere but can't find it.

I doubt you will see any peak power difference with a 3 bolt setup on a 3.8. You should have more torque at lower rpm's from the added ci but thats about it. The tune and cam would likely not be the same either. With a 4 bolt setup and a solid cam there is a lot more to be gained.

I doubt you will see any peak power difference with a 3 bolt setup on a 3.8. You should have more torque at lower rpm's from the added ci but thats about it. The tune and cam would likely not be the same either. With a 4 bolt setup and a solid cam there is a lot more to be gained.

Bison thanks the cam kdk is putting in is 218-218 roller if i choose to go the stroker route. Im just seeing if i should spend the extra $5500

I was told awhile back by someone that it was checked or dynoed and the only difference with 2 cars and everything else the same was 20 or 25hp.

But like my brother said thats 20 hp that the other person doesn't have.
If you both put on front mount ICs you'll still have 20 more than he does, a larger throttle body still 20 more than the other guy, larger 3 bolt turbo still 20 more.
Being everything is the same mind you. With more torque down low.

But like Bison said ,with the right parts, performance would be a big plus over the stock. Where a person may be limited with how far he can go on a cam or turbo with a stock stroke he can go more or bigger with the stroker.

Still have to get the power to the ground so more horse power isn't always the answer. I ran a 454 Nova bored to a 460 a long time ago in my 12 sec buick on the back roads knowing he had around 450/500 without spray to my 300/350. I beat him out the hole and to the 1/4 by a fender by the time he caught up with me. So regardless of hp you gotta hook. He's been talking about revenge for 2 yrs after that. I see him every now and then, heard he bought a larger different motor but No words on trying me again. I think he's spooked....after he's done some research on a little ole low horsepowered V6.
And I can't get another event around here because of that.. but I'm not looking either, but I am ready just in case the phone rings.:wink:

You gain tons of torque and in my opinion, torque with a car that hooks is king on the street!!! My stroker setup has paid for itself a few times over (if ya know what I mean $$$$$).

You gain tons of torque and in my opinion, torque with a car that hooks is king on the street!!! My stroker setup has paid for itself a few times over (if ya know what I mean $$$$$).

Thank you sir this is what i needed to hear now i need to see if its too late to have it done.

I agree guys. Torque isn't much if you can't hook. How many of us hook on the street? I have the full rear set up. HR, Mickey T's, ect. I'm not hooking on the street....no way. I keep the car detuned.:eek: On the track yes I can put it to the ground. Why spend the extra money for a stroker if your mostly street car? Big bucks for small gains(if you aren't going to finish the package) isn't very good use of the green backs!:confused:

I agree guys. Torque isn't much if you can't hook. How many of us hook on the street? I have the full rear set up. HR, Mickey T's, ect. I'm not hooking on the street....no way. I keep the car detuned.:eek: On the track yes I can put it to the ground. Why spend the extra money for a stroker if your mostly street car? Big bucks for small gains(if you aren't going to finish the package) isn't very good use of the green backs!:confused:

Good point i have all that also full suspension ,Mickey's, etc. I just only want to do it once and its cheaper to do it now while motor is out than later i guess now im confused what to do. Thanks for all the opinions this is what i needed to know.

Bison thanks the cam kdk is putting in is 218-218 roller if i choose to go the stroker route. Im just seeing if i should spend the extra $5500

If you have $5500 to spend id rather see you spend it where you will get some big power potential out of it. Adding 26ci is not a cost effective move imo. Take a look at the combo i just dynoed a few weeks ago. Its a stock stroke .020 engine. That combo went 114mph in the eighth last year @26psi. Anything in that combo can be had in less than a few weeks time from the various vendors on this board. PM me if you need any ideas.

The extra $5000 would get you alot of supporting parts for your engine. I started this thread to get an idea of the hp increases also. Been studing this for so time. Big bucks for the stroker with all the goodies. For the track I think it is the only way to fly. For the street? Overkill. I've about decided to forget the stroker. I dont see the track enough to justify the build.:mad:

For cheap extra HP I would build a 4.1:D

For cheap extra HP I would build a 4.1:D

A good 4.1 block isnt cheap. A production block is a no go for sub 10.50 power. I would rather have a larger bore than a larger stroke to net the same cubes though.

The extra $5000 would get you alot of supporting parts for your engine. I started this thread to get an idea of the hp increases also. Been studing this for so time. Big bucks for the stroker with all the goodies. For the track I think it is the only way to fly. For the street? Overkill. I've about decided to forget the stroker. I dont see the track enough to justify the build.:mad:

Thanks for starting this thread i didnt mean to butt in on it but its exactly what i was wondering also. This car will see more track and some street. My other one im not sure yet i might keep it stock.

The stroker engine also allows you to run less converter then a stock stroke. To run a 66-67mm journal bearing turbo with a stock stroke would need a 3600 or bigger. With a stroker, 3200-3300. On the street, that is much friendlier to drive. Am I correct on this Bison???:confused: This is the info I got from PTE.

Coach

The stroker engine also allows you to run less converter then a stock stroke. To run a 66-67mm journal bearing turbo with a stock stroke would need a 3600 or bigger. With a stroker, 3200-3300. On the street, that is much friendlier to drive. Am I correct on this Bison???:confused: This is the info I got from PTE.

Coach

Maybe. It would depend on the build. The tune, compression ratio and fuel to be used will have a big effect on the minimum converter stall speed. Id put my stock stroke hyd cammed with a 3 bolt turbo against almost any stroker hyd cam setup out there and id likely not fall short very often. Ill take a well tuned 9.5:1 CR stock stroke over an 8-8.5:1 stroker any day. If you think about it from a mathematical standpoint your only gaining about 16 ci over a .030 stock stroke in a 3.8 block. Thats like chasing after pennies when you could be going after dollars. If you are class racing and need everything you can get id do it but thats it. Those that competitively class race have everything covered anyway so if anyone thinks they have it figured out they need to keep thinking.

Its very expensive to build a stroker the correct way. But Bison you did tell me a long time ago that my bigger turbo spools up faster because of the extra cubes and air flow. I can't speak for anyone else but other than my loud a** electric fuel pump my car is a sleeper, very drivable on the street, but once I get on the gas my friends faces go:eek:... Mainly because they all have chevy 496ci or 502ci and they keep telling me I wasted my money on my GN.

Back