You can type here any text you want

stroker verses stock stroke

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
KDK put my stroker together. Did a great job. Maybe because of my situation and what I was looking at having done to my stocker, the difference for me was cetainly not $5500 between stroker and stock. Maybe 3K?

Anyway, torque difference is noticeable down low and makes up for the lag and the driveablilty of it on the street for regular driving. And 2800-3000 is MORE than enough stall with a stroker on a 67DBB. I was able to tighten mine up and still get great spool.

KDK put my stroker together. Did a great job. Maybe because of my situation and what I was looking at having done to my stocker, the difference for me was cetainly not $5500 between stroker and stock. Maybe 3K?

Anyway, torque difference is noticeable down low and makes up for the lag and the driveablilty of it on the street for regular driving. And 2800-3000 is MORE than enough stall with a stroker on a 67DBB. I was able to tighten mine up and still get great spool.

Im not getting charged for labor cause motor is already being stripped but machine fit stroker is $1700, stroker is $2700 motor plate $100, flywheel $200, bhj balancer $400 insure shortblock parts $100 then tax. Im not worried about price. I think like Bison said i might bore it instead. Im going to talk to Kevin about it. Thanks for the input. You arent to far away we should hit the track when it gets done.

I'm not seeing where the price difference of a stroker is $5K more than an EQUIVALENT standard stroke motor. Build a stock stroke with an internal balance forged crank, K1 rods, JE pistons, And Hyd. Roller. Than to the same with a stroker there would only be a couple of hundred dollars difference in the parts cost and a little more for the machine shop to clearance the oil galley.

If we're already making 2 hp and 2.5 ft/lb of torque per CID than another 20 cubic inches certainly can't hurt. More cubes to spool the turbo is definitely a plus. Everyone says that their stocker can spool real fast using trick x y or z. Those same tricks would work with more cubic inches too.

ANY forged internal balance rotating assembly and the supporting cast will be more $$$ than using stock parts, but you can't blame a stroker crank on that.

Im not getting charged for labor cause motor is already being stripped but machine fit stroker is $1700, stroker is $2700 motor plate $100, flywheel $200, bhj balancer $400 insure shortblock parts $100 then tax. Im not worried about price. I think like Bison said i might bore it instead. Im going to talk to Kevin about it. Thanks for the input. You arent to far away we should hit the track when it gets done.

It's been a little while, so my memory is a bit sketchy, but I believe I already needed a flywheel and balancer anyway. I had Kevin price it out for me each way, and if it had been a $5500 difference, I wouldn't have made the choice I did. Don't forget to minus out the machining work that likley would need to be done to your old crank to run it again, or probably being able to sell of your old crank to offset the cost.

Bottom line, IMO, if you can swing it, do it. How often have you regretted going that extra mile?

I'm not seeing where the price difference of a stroker is $5K more than an EQUIVALENT standard stroke motor. Build a stock stroke with an internal balance forged crank, K1 rods, JE pistons, And Hyd. Roller. Than to the same with a stroker there would only be a couple of hundred dollars difference in the parts cost and a little more for the machine shop to clearance the oil galley.

ANY forged internal balance rotating assembly and the supporting cast will be more $$$ than using stock parts, but you can't blame a stroker crank on that.

I WAS building a stock stroke all forged motor until... :p Stroker cost me $400 more. That's it. I was told I would not regret the $400.:cool: I was told it was for block clearance.

Bottom line, IMO, if you can swing it, do it. How often have you regretted going that extra mile?

Your car pulls like no other Ive ever been in, granted only a few different GNs some heavy modded, but 0 to 60 in about 2.8 sec is pretty ugly

KDK takes great pride and it shows

I wouldnt bore without a sonic check first to see how much room you have. Pistons wont be cheap for that either. You may want to consider using a stage2 4.1 block if your not worried about expense.

Mainly because they all have chevy 496ci or 502ci and they keep telling me I wasted my money on my GN.
Ive smashed a few of those types. When they asked me if i had a big cube v-8 i just told them yes. Why try to explain. Not worth the time and they wont believe you anyway. Im glad im not stuck in the Jurassic period on engine tech.

Alright i figured out what to do with the 86. I am going to let Kevin do his magic on this motor he said he is changing a few things in it. [everything was already ordered for it] So when it gets done i will use all this input and go a little slower and build my 87 to squeeze everything i can out of it. So thank you everyone!

. . . . Those that competitively class race have everything covered anyway so if anyone thinks they have it figured out they need to keep thinking.
Instant Classic! :D

Stroker

ok guys

Since i just recently built a stroker myself. I have spent about 6400 building my stroker motor. The only thing i reused from the old .040 engine was the ported intake/exhaust manifolds and timing cover. I also used the same turbo to keep cost down.

When doing this build i also purchased a set of TA (se) alum heads (+600 bucks for porting) With roller rockers too. so that was where the big money was spent! close to 3200 bucks. The stroker kit cost a tad over 2k (crank,rods,pistons) I also purchased a new BHJ balancer and a new Cat flywheel. I also purchased a Roller cam kit from DLS performance(214/214) cost was around 800-850. The final compression is a tad over 9.0/1 block is .020 overbore

So far i have 1000 miles on it and i have made one pass at the track during the TB.com nats and @ 17 psi boost i neted a 7.12 @ 98 mph With a 1.68 short time. This was acheived on pump gas @ 22 degrees of timing with a tad bit of knock.

On the old .040 engine with a very large set of ported irons and 200/200 cam the best i ever could acheive on pump gas was high 7.70's low 7.80's @ 89-90 mph with about the same short times.

MY personal best before the stroker was a 7.22 @ 93 @ 23psi with a 1.58 short time.

I know this is not a good comparison due to i changed alot in my combo other than the stroke of the engine.

But this thing is a torque monster and the driveablity is better now than it has ever been.

+1 on the driveability. That is the thing that these "it's a waste if you drive mostly on the street" guys are missing. More torque down low, coupled with being able to run tighter on the converter and still spool a good sized turbo makes a lot of difference in the daily driver.

So far i have 1000 miles on it and i have made one pass at the track during the TB.com nats and @ 17 psi boost i neted a 7.12 @ 98 mph With a 1.68 short time. This was acheived on pump gas @ 22 degrees of timing with a tad bit of knock.

What turbo and convertor?

Craig Gill got his feelings hurt with his big block that gets smashed by a 6 cylinder......

Back