You can type here any text you want

Supposedly stroked 3.8 liter?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
It is very easy to measure the stroke while the crank is in the block.
use the depth probe on your calipers...bring the piston to TDC slowly watching the up and down movent of the piston and after a couple of back and forth rotations you will be able to determine TDC within 2 or 3 degrees of rotation.
measure the piston down from deck distance with the calipers. write the number down.

Now do the same with the piston at the bottom of the stroke....again measure this distance and right it down.
Subtract the little number from the big one and this is your stroke, within .010 allowing for errors.

Doing this with a careful touch you can get very close measurements.....If you have good eyes you could also use a machinist ruler to measure this and get the dimension.

I can get TDC established on the engine stand within 2 degrees doing this.....verified with the dial indicator/degree wheel so yes it can be done.
The difference in a 3.625 crank will be .225" almost a quarter of an inch.

And I agree the whole assembly needs taken apart.....likely you will find other issues in there.

Those are some interesting looking scratches on the walls. I'm more worried about feel than looks though. Since my engines last more than 300 miles I have no real world experience diagnosing them with pics on my laptop.... How do they feel on your fingernail? What does the bore gauge show?...

Also if it says 'right bank' and 'left bank', that does matter. When there's a right and left that usually means there's a thrust offset on the pin bore. Now what's odd is that those pistons have no valve reliefs. So a 'right' piston could be installed 'upside down' on the other side and it would be the same thing.

Even a blind man can see the issues with this scenario on his laptop :)

It will come apart one way or another .. be more cost effective if it was now while its already disassembled

I agree with everybody who responded.I have past all this along, and he wants to run it.
If it was mine it would come apart,shit if i had a short block laying around i would swap him for this,just the stroker kit would be nice to have for my next build.
Gonna put it back together the way it should have been done and hope for the best.
Told him what will most likely happen,he said ok.

I agree with everybody who responded.I have past all this along, and he wants to run it.
If it was mine it would come apart,shit if i had a short block laying around i would swap him for this,just the stroker kit would be nice to have for my next build.
Gonna put it back together the way it should have been done and hope for the best.
Told him what will most likely happen,he said ok.

tick tick tick tick .. POOF !

Back