You can type here any text you want

T-Top Rust.... How to detect

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

mtocrs1

Mtocrs1
I'm going to look at another GN on Sunday. It has TTops. I have yet to own a GBody with -TTops.
Is there a way to detect the T Top rust without removing the weatherstrip? Some way to check for it during my inspection. If the car checks out it will be on the trailer headed back with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure they all would have some amount of rust. Unless it was blown out with compressed air every time it was washed over the last 30 years, I would expect some.

You can tell just by moving the seals.also look down the hinge jamb "door" for rust also in the trunk above wheel wells.
Dont be afraid to get down on the ground really look at the floor boards.also take it for a ride,is it air tight,if not its not water tight.

Thanks for the tips, I knew to check the door jamb but I never check above the wheel wells just in the fender wells.
I'll move the seals around and see what happens.

cdc52d55c5b9ae25a745703fa6f7a12c.jpg

I got this pic with the TTops on. Is it normal for the center strip between the two pieces to be wavy like it is in the pic?

The main thing is whats underneath the ttops

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

image.jpeg
I would be worried about this right here:
If you see surface rust, you can bet there's plenty more. Don't get too happy and overlook things. I've done it once...on an Astro Roof car. Had to junk it 5k later.

Yes I asked about that spot and he assured me it isn't rust in that spot. I will look everything over very closely. The car has been sitting in a garage for the past five years. So it has that going for it at least.
The door lock key is lost so on inspection we are drilling out the trunk lock. Gotta check inside the trunk and RPO code sticker...

Yes I asked about that spot and he assured me it isn't rust in that spot. I will look everything over very closely. The car has been sitting in a garage for the past five years. So it has that going for it at least.
The door lock key is lost so on inspection we are drilling out the trunk lock. Gotta check inside the trunk and RPO code sticker...

Whats wrong with the trunk popper?

I would be overly cautious and be thorough in your look. My last GN had TTOPS and a lil' more rust than I actually knew about. After buying it, I went ahead and replaced all the weather stripping anyway and sealed it with POR-15. However, when I pulled it, all actually came off nice, but had surface rust underneath. Some small pinholes and bigger did develop by the driver side front A-Pillar.

You should be able to just pull up a small section of the stripping up just to see underneath just to look. I would check the corners by the center track as well. Weatherstripping on mine pulled up easy there too. Sometimes you will see surface rust and or rust there/holes that have developed. Also, if you can pull trim off the A-Pillar and look - if it has leaked for some time over the years, you will see (in my case) stained water streaks on the pillar that's ran its way to the driver side floor board as stated early where you should check the floor anyway. I found out on mine after the fact.

It's worth it to just take a few screws off the trim to look and peel back weather stripping a bit before spending thousands on it for a potential headache later.

Last edited:
Would it be cheaper to get a door key made by a locksmitch than drilling the trunk lock? That way he'll have a key for both doors, trunk and ttops instead of buying all new lock set and changing all the locks

In not sure, I'm headed up there today. Sunday. I'll call a few places on the way up to see if anyone is willing to come out today and what they will charge

Or take the ttops up to a local lock smith and see if theylll cut the keys. Probably cheaper than coming out there

Oh crap I never thought about the TTops being locked on!
That could be a deal breaker.
It's only 4 hours away and I am in route

Well, I ended up passing on the deal. Guy was cool. Showed him all the rust. He even peeled the paint back where I showed him and said Oh $&!?.

Oh wow, Well glad you found out before hand

Good call man. Let someone else deal with the rust and find yourself a good hard top.

Yeah the only thing that sucks is the money spent on the trip. I'm out about $200 and a Sunday.

Back