ta 49 exhaust housing

sykegn

work in progress
I just bought an 87 t with a ta 49 on it. The turbo has a .85 exhaust side on it. Everyone is telling me to get get rid of that housing for the street.My question is: Will a housing off a stock turbo bolt on? Thanks for your help.

Not Stock / PTE .63

The old stock turbine housing may bolt up, I'm not sure but that's not where you want to go - here's why.

The .85 A/R housing that you have is designed to spool slower BUT reduce exhaust back pressures at higher RPM's. Something you might think about doing for a track car that sees considerable duty at full song at high RPM's.

What you need is a precision .63 A/R turbine housing. This housing is designed to spool much quicker, and at much lower RPM in exchange for higher exhaust back pressures at full song.

On the street - it's just a big Buick with a little motor until you get in on boost, so .63 A/R housing is what you're looking for. Spool now - rock on.

Happy Holidays,

I just bought an 87 t with a ta 49 on it. The turbo has a .85 exhaust side on it. Everyone is telling me to get get rid of that housing for the street.My question is: Will a housing off a stock turbo bolt on? Thanks for your help.

To answer your question, no. The exhaust wheel is bigger on a TA49 than on a stocker.

do you have a stock (not a restalled) D5 converter?
if its stock D5 the .63 makes for a decent spool , kind of laggy with the larger housing

if the car has a converter (2800 or so ) the bigger housing can be a terror on the street and the strip . ive run my 87 with the TA49 and TE44 with a 10.5" 2800 converter the .82 garrett housing and the spoolup is instant

Mine spools fine on the street and on the track BUT has a 32-34 stall Pro-Torque convertor!!!

In your guys opinion, am i better off buying the smaller housing or the higher stall converter?

The TA49/TE44 spool will suck with a stock converter unless it has a .63 Garrett housing on it. The .85ex is a no go for a 12" converter. You can send Precision the stock housing and they will machine it for the TA49 exhaust wheel. This is the best option. There is little hp gain going to a .85ex in a car not capable of going over 118-119mph in the quarter.

In your guys opinion, am i better off buying the smaller housing or the higher stall converter?

Housing because its cheaper and easier to install. I mean the Garrett housing too. Not the .63 Precision. The Precision one will need a re-stalled 12" to work properly. Some may say no but its a night and day difference with the Garrett housing. Ive switched and tested on the same car without changing anything else and it spools noticeably faster.

i have the precision .63 on my 49. it was very laggy with the stock converter. it was still a little laggy with a 2800 stall. i put a 3000 stall 10'' on it and it is instant spool. i would go with the garret housing if you dont want to upgrade your converter.

sykegn,the garret.63 will be the best choice for your combo.it will spool the best,and feel more responsive.unless you plan on running 22+psi or better you will not see a performance gain between the pte.63 and garret.63 even if you had a better converter and the pte.85 would probably not get into full boost before the 1.2 shift.bison sums it up above, the pte.63 and the stock converter sucks, the 85 would be a nightmare.

sounds like i would be a whole lot happier just with the stock turbo for now.
with the investment in new or machined parts i am probably not too far off from just selling that turbo and get a new style that is way more compatible with my mostly stock set-up.

I'd keep the housing that's on there, throw a 2600-2800 10" L/U converter on there, with a manual boost controller from RJC, and an alky kit, and be done with it. You won't need anything else. :)

sounds like i would be a whole lot happier just with the stock turbo for now.
with the investment in new or machined parts i am probably not too far off from just selling that turbo and get a new style that is way more compatible with my mostly stock set-up.
I doubt it would be more thna $150 to get the housing machined. You could then easily sell the one you have for at least $100.

Housing because its cheaper and easier to install. I mean the Garrett housing too. Not the .63 Precision. The Precision one will need a re-stalled 12" to work properly. Some may say no but its a night and day difference with the Garrett housing. Ive switched and tested on the same car without changing anything else and it spools noticeably faster.

I sold my .63 Precision Housing that came with my TE-44 Turbo and put a Garret .63 Housing on the 44.I have a stock D5 that is restalled around 2800 or so.I liked the Precision Housing better.With the Garret Housing I got sideways on a street run.I think with my mods it would make sense that the Precision housing worked better.I have to say that my 44 Turbo does not spool instantlt.I may look into a 3200 Vig at some point.:cool:

I sold my .63 Precision Housing that came with my TE-44 Turbo and put a Garret .63 Housing on the 44.I have a stock D5 that is restalled around 2800 or so.I liked the Precision Housing better.With the Garret Housing I got sideways on a street run.I think with my mods it would make sense that the Precision housing worked better.I have to say that my 44 Turbo does not spool instantlt.I may look into a 3200 Vig at some point.:cool:

If you got sideways with the 275/60-15 MT's than you probably hit sand/water or have a serious suspension issue. I had mine out yesterday and didnt have any traction issues even from a 10mph roll running 28-29psi. I have about 80lbs of ballast in the trunk. Last year i had a 44 with the Garrett .63 on the same engine with an AC 9" and it spooled to 28 psi in about .5 seconds. Still no traction problems. If you had a 10" 3000-3200 stall id go right to the .85 housing

The TA49/TE44 spool will suck with a stock converter unless it has a .63 Garrett housing on it. The .85ex is a no go for a 12" converter. You can send Precision the stock housing and they will machine it for the TA49 exhaust wheel. This is the best option. There is little hp gain going to a .85ex in a car not capable of going over 118-119mph in the quarter.

Agreed, I have the .82 and mine is a dog redlight to redlight. A bone stock Gn is quicker. I am swapping a TE44 w/ .63 (that is sitting on my work bench). I am still stock rear also.

If you got sideways with the 275/60-15 MT's than you probably hit sand/water or have a serious suspension issue. I had mine out yesterday and didnt have any traction issues even from a 10mph roll running 28-29psi. I have about 80lbs of ballast in the trunk. Last year i had a 44 with the Garrett .63 on the same engine with an AC 9" and it spooled to 28 psi in about .5 seconds. Still no traction problems. If you had a 10" 3000-3200 stall id go right to the .85 housing

Well I forgot to mention that I left from a dead stop and launched with about 3lbs of Boost.Also my Max Boost is set at 18 lbs for the street.Also it was a cold day.I know AC are the best converter's but I wanted a good L/U unit liike the single disc 3200 9.5 inch Vigilante converter.The 2 runs were done a while ago.I also don't think my Racegate helps with the spooling issue's.The car runs great with the stock restalled converter but is no where near instant.I have not upgraded suspension so you may be right on that point.

Well I forgot to mention that I left from a dead stop and launched with about 3lbs of Boost.Also my Max Boost is set at 18 lbs for the street.Also it was a cold day.I know AC are the best converter's but I wanted a good L/U unit liike the single disc 3200 9.5 inch Vigilante converter.The 2 runs were done a while ago.I also don't think my Racegate helps with the spooling issue's.The car runs great with the stock restalled converter but is no where near instant.I have not upgraded suspension so you may be right on that point.
You should hook better from a dead stop than a roll since you would get more weight transfer. It was about 30 degrees here yesterday and i am running high 20's boost and no traction problems:biggrin: . With a burnout and 200lbs of ballast i can leave off the t-brake on the street when its warm out. 8-10psi off the foot brake is no problem with the ballast in the summer. AC's converters are ok in cars that trap under 120 in the quarter. They suck in high hp applications and slip a lot more at cruise than a PTC 9.5". PTC has by far the best converters and they are very inexpensive for the performance gain.

You should hook better from a dead stop than a roll since you would get more weight transfer. It was about 30 degrees here yesterday and i am running high 20's boost and no traction problems:biggrin: . With a burnout and 200lbs of ballast i can leave off the t-brake on the street when its warm out. 8-10psi off the foot brake is no problem with the ballast in the summer. AC's converters are ok in cars that trap under 120 in the quarter. They suck in high hp applications and slip a lot more at cruise than a PTC 9.5". PTC has by far the best converters and they are very inexpensive for the performance gain.

I did no Burnout so thats another reason I got sideway's and had to get off the throttle.Its no fun losing traction on the street.If I do go with a 3200 and it spools way to quick I can go with the .85 Housing.Alot of guy's like the Vig and the PTC converter's.Probably can't go wrong with either one.

I did no Burnout so thats another reason I got sideway's and had to get off the throttle.Its no fun losing traction on the street.If I do go with a 3200 and it spools way to quick I can go with the .85 Housing.Alot of guy's like the Vig and the PTC converter's.Probably can't go wrong with either one.

The Vig is no where near as efficient as a 9.5" PTC and leaves a lot on the table in cars that are capable of trapping over 120mph. You should have no problem with a Precision 3200 and a .85ex on the 44.