You can type here any text you want

TA Alluminum block pros and cons?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
The bearing problem has nothing to do with a TA block. Anyone that has a high HP has gone to a Turbo 400 trans. This where the bearing problem comes in. If the trans cooler line pressure is too high, it will take out the thrust. This has been documented in SBC & BBC motors under a constant load, ie: HD truck, motorhomes, racing.

One needs to test his trans cooler line pressure once the motor is up and running.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/tr...bearing.html?highlight=cooler+pressure+ijames

First time builders, clean, clean. clean. clean & check, check, check and re-check. I am building a TA block. My machinist has built aluminum motors and
just recently a 632cu in Merlin:eek: . The aluminum block is a different animal. He won't go into detail but the block can not be assembled in a garage without proper machining.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I would do the necessary modification to correct the possibility of pushing your brand new crank through your brand new block before you first start it. It's not a pretty picture if you lose the bet.

I can tell you even 45 psi is too much, thrust bearing #3 will now see 30 psi! On a fresh motor thrust opened up .004 in 15 minutes running.

I would do the necessary modification to correct the possibility of pushing your brand new crank through your brand new block before you first start it. It's not a pretty picture if you lose the bet.

Could you e-mail or PM me some contact info, so I discuss this further.

Thanks

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Don doesn't accept email or Pm's for some reason.:frown:

Don,
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to modify my Turbo 400. Will the restriction change the stall of the converter?
Thanks again,
Jeff

Don,
I wanted to thank you for taking the time to modify my Turbo 400. Will the restriction change the stall of the converter?
Thanks again,
Jeff

No. The restriction isn't small enough to affect stall.

Just to clarify things, These mods have nothing to do with the TA block they go for any buick block. It should have been posted in the th400 thrust bearing issue post. Thanks Don for making those changes.

Just to clarify things, These mods have nothing to do with the TA block they go for any buick block. It should have been posted in the th400 thrust bearing issue post. Thanks Don for making those changes.

Does a powerglide require the same mod as a 400 to reduce pressure, or will I be ok?

Scott Wile

Does a powerglide require the same mod as a 400 to reduce pressure, or will I be ok?

Scott Wile

The 400 is the only trans that seems to have this problem. At least from my experience.

If this is true how come my wife's 06 GTO doesn't have a block heater on its all aluminum LS2?:rolleyes:

Well - firstly OEM engineers do a lot more testing for appropriate clearances, including Al vs steel expansion rates with cold starts, than any of us would so you can trust them - then secondly a block heater puts out no where near enough heat to bring the engine up to operating temps.

But then I'm no expert so maybe there is something we can all learn from clearances from such production engine.

Back