You can type here any text you want

TA valve covers how close?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Well I dropped my engine in last night. I am just wondering how close the TA valve covers are supposed to sit to the shield near the firewall where the loom is bolted too. I don't have my mounts bolts done up fully yet there just threw and the tranny is in the pins with a couple of bolts but it has like .010" space between it right now. Does it sit that close? Should I take the shield off to get a bit more space?

Thanks Brandon.

im almost through with mine, now my mounts are no where in perfect shape on my car but i do have new motor mounts which helps but i really need body mounts up front i'll run out and take a couple of pics when im done this morning give me a couple of hours and i'll show you what mine looks like.mine are close but not close as yours.

Thanks. I have H&R mounts. I am heading back to the shop tomorrow but I found if I jacked the tranny up a bit it gave me some space. Where it is now there is no way I could get a valve cover off.

I was looking at that same problem 2 days ago . Very tight , with about 1/8"-3/16" clearance . I was also thiking of removing the cover and getting a machine shop to mill the corner down on a angle a little for added clearance rather than removing the shield .

Gezzee I didn't realize how many people that are on here that are close. Will have to make a track day at cayuga sometime once I get this beast on the road.

I'm watching your video right now. Suprised I never seen it before. Suddenly I want ice cream though :confused: lol What was your setup when you were running those times in the video.

wating for clarke to post some pics of how close his is and when it stops raining I will pull mine out of the garage and get those mounts tightened up and put my gn1 intake on and see how close it is to the wipper arms...

............I am just wondering how close the TA valve covers are supposed to sit to the shield near the firewall...............
Thanks Brandon.

Depends on which style TA valve covers you have? The original style is very close to the shield and can be difficult to install.

The low-profile style is much easier to R&R and has more clearance on both pass side and driver's side.:)

Im sorry i lost track of time i had to go mow the lawn i didnt take a pic sorry but it is about 1/8th to 1/4 to the cover,

my brother however have the gn1 valve covers --his is riding on, scraping it no clearance at all so im glad i got the TA's :smile: ive also been tryin to get me car crunk & changin spark plugs ive done it like 4 times but no problem whatsoever (use swivel for the back passenger).

My car has the poly mounts on both sides, and the covers would not clear the shield on the evap box. I removed the shield and have plenty of room now. I wrapped the downpipe anyway, so the ambient heat transfer to the evap box is minimal. Even with the low profile TA units, I could not make them fit. I know the poly mounts raised the engine somewhat, but I have fresh poly body mounts, too, that should have offset the engine mounts. These cars have such wide tolerances that almost anything is possible when putting one back together. Just remove the shield, wrap the pipe, and you'll have plenty of room for the valve covers. Thanks, Counterman.

I was looking at that same problem 2 days ago . Very tight , with about 1/8"-3/16" clearance . I was also thiking of removing the cover and getting a machine shop to mill the corner down on a angle a little for added clearance rather than removing the shield .

What about removing the shield and cutting a bit out of the lower corner of it and re-installing it? I have a friend that did this to clear the GN1 valve covers on his on-center stage 2 motor and he said it worked out good.

Anybody with the HR poly motor mounts actually have problems with the engine moving enough for the valve covers to hit the heater box? I like the original style covers a lot; don't care much for the newer ones.

What about removing the shield and cutting a bit out of the lower corner of it and re-installing it? I have a friend that did this to clear the GN1 valve covers on his on-center stage 2 motor and he said it worked out good.

Anybody with the HR poly motor mounts actually have problems with the engine moving enough for the valve covers to hit the heater box? I like the original style covers a lot; don't care much for the newer ones.

maybe a good idea . what's involved in removing the shield ??

when I put my mount bolts in I had a bit more room. The shield is held on by two 7mm bolts one underneath at the back and one at the front. As well the wire loom is mounted to it.

I may remove it and wrap my downpipe later. I have some wrap kicking around.

I have the low profile TA valve covers and HR mounts as well. I really did not want to run without the heat shield. It is a lot of trouble to remove; but I decided to mark the shield where I felt that the cover was too close. I then used that mark to center a 2" hole saw and cut out a circular area for clearance and reinstalled the shield. It sure made removal and installation of the cover easier.

I am entertaining possibly buying a set of the new TA valve covers. Can someone post a pick of them in silver? Thanx...

From a cell Phone...Sorry

IMG00272-vi.jpg

IMG00271-vi.jpg

IMG00273-vi.jpg

Back